- For the passive bonuses to secondary stats, see Secondary stat attunement.
Instance attunement refers to the process of gaining permanent access to an instance. The term comes from one of the first of such quests created: . Many of the endgame instances originally required you to complete a quest or obtain a certain item to enter. This strategy has largely been phased out, although some instances (particularly select mythic dungeons) still require attunement.
- For a detailed look at attunement to the non-Burning Crusade instances, see Instance attunement (Classic).
- For a detailed look at attunement to the Burning Crusade instances, see Instance attunement (Burning Crusade).
Battle for Azeroth
Continuing with Legion's theme, Battle for Azeroth introduced two Mythic difficulty only dungeons that require personal attunements to access. The attunement requirements are different per faction. Patch 8.1.0 introduced Heroic modes for these dungeons that do not require an attunement to access.
- Kings' Rest
- Siege of Boralus
The Legion expansion returned the concept of personal attunements to three Mythic-only dungeons in the form of lengthy quest-chains. Patch 7.2.0 introduced Heroic modes for these dungeons that do not require an attunement to access. These attunements were removed in Patch 7.3.0.
- The Arcway & Court of Stars - Reach 8000/12000 Honored Reputation with The Nightfallen and complete the quest (This requires significant questing with the Nightfallen faction).
- Return to Karazhan - Complete the attunement quest-chain, starting with . This requires the player to complete the following four dungeons on Mythic difficulty: Halls of Valor, Black Rook Hold, Vault of the Wardens and Assault on Violet Hold.
Heroic mode keys
Previously, to enter the heroic mode version of an Outland instance you must have earned honored reputation status with a specific faction related to that instance. Once honored status is obtained, the keys can simply be purchased from that faction's quartermaster. The currently available instances and their respective factions are listed below. Please note that all party members must have a key to enter the instance in heroic mode.
|Hellfire Citadel||Honor Hold |
|Coilfang Reservoir||Cenarion Expedition|
|Caverns of Time||Keepers of Time|
|Magister's Terrace||Players must complete the quest chain that starts from Exarch Larethor on the Isle of Quel'Danas and require killing the final boss on Normal difficulty.|
Other dungeon keys
|Original Scarlet Monastery instances|
|Upper Blackrock Spire|
There are presently no raid instances that require an attunement in World of Warcraft. However, many former raids previously required an attunement to enter.
Except for Karazhan and the Eye of Eternity, all raid members originally needed to become attuned to enter the following raid instances. Both Molten Core and previously Blackwing Lair provide attunement quests that allow the player to quickly travel to the raid entrance, but these are not required to enter the instances themselves.
- Molten Core - No attunement required as of patch 5.4.0. Attunement quest is still available.
- Onyxia's Lair No attunement required. Attunement quest removed in patch 3.0.2.
- Blackwing Lair - No attunement required as of patch 5.4.0. Attunement quest removed in patch 6.0.2
- Naxxramas Original Naxxramas removed in patch 3.0.2 (Revamped Naxxramas does not have an attunement). Attunement quests removed in patch 4.0.3.
- Karazhan No attunement required as of patch 2.4.0. The former attunement questline was removed in patch 7.1.0.
- Coilfang Reservoir: Serpentshrine Cavern No attunement required as of patch 2.1.2.
- Tempest Keep: The Eye No attunement required as of patch 2.1.2.
- Caverns of Time: Battle for Mount Hyjal No attunement required as of patch 2.4.
- The Black Temple No attunement required as of patch 2.4, but the quest chain still exists.
- The Eye of Eternity No attunement required as of patch 4.2.0.
Certain raid and dungeon bosses could also be unlocked through certain player actions. For example, the last two bosses of Molten Core would only be accessible if at least seven raiders achieved revered reputation with the Hydraxian Waterlords, obtained a specific item from the Waterlords, and brought it with them to the raid. As future expansions are released, prior-expansion bosses are generally unlocked by default and are accessible regardless of party makeup.
For April Fool's 2007, Blizzard released a joke attunement page listing all of the impossible tasks that needed to be accomplished in order to enter the Black Temple. This was a reference to a popular chart at the time listing all of the attunement requirements for The Burning Crusade and how they funneled into attuning to Mount Hyjal, making it appear that simply attuning to the raid was a monumental task made up of every attunement in the expansion.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Removed the attunement requirements for Blackwing Lair and Molten Core.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Removed the Keyring and most remaining keys, including Heroic mode keys. All Heroic Burning Crusade dungeons and the entrance to Karazhan can now be accessed without a key. Eye of Eternity no longer requires the Key to the Focusing Iris to start the Malygos encounter.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed the key requirements and any associated questlines for them for all classic dungeons.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20):
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Removed the attunement requirement for Onyxia's Lair.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Removed the attunement requirements for Battle for Mount Hyjal, Black Temple, and Karazhan ( is still required to unlock the entrance gate for Karazhan).
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): The Requirement for Heroic Keys has been lowered to Honored.
- Hotfix (2007-06-19): After a lot of thought and deliberation, we’ve decided to remove the attunement requirements to enter Serpentshrine Cavern and Tempest Keep: The Eye. While many of our attunements in the Burning Crusade have been good progression checks, a few of the attunements have turned out to cause unnecessary stress on guilds either doing the content or attempting to do the content. With Black Temple and Battle for Mount Hyjal thriving, we want to encourage (rather than prevent) new guilds and raid groups to attempt Serpentshrine and TK. We are going to leave the current attunement quests in the game so that players can still engage in the challenge and the lore of those quests should they choose to. At a later point, we are considering adding a final reward step to those quests as well (that way those who have already completed them would not miss out on a *new* reward).