- For the pre-Mists of Pandaria encounter, see Jandice Barov (Classic).
|Title||Mistress of Illusion|
|Level||43 - 62 / 92 Elite|
|Affiliation(s)||Scourge, Cult of the Damned|
|Former affiliation(s)||Kirin Tor|
|Location||Hall of Illusions, Scholomance|
|Relative(s)||Alexei (father), Illucia (mother), Alexi and Weldon (brothers)|
Jandice Barov is the second boss in Scholomance.
Jandice Barov was once an archmage of Dalaran and a powerful illusionist. In life, she developed a spell that "displayed several images of her body that were nearly indistinguishable from her real form. These images duplicated her actions from different locations, making it nearly impossible for her enemies to find her. It was almost infallible." It is also said that Jandice stewards the blood of innocents from Doctor Theolen Krastinov to Kirtonos the Herald.
After years of being ignored in the basement of Scholomance, Jandice has returned. She has been doing quite a bit of study in the field of Arcana.
Course: Advanced Illusions
Barov's spirit lurked in the recesses of Scholomance for years, but now she has taken a more active role in educating the next generation of magi. Her vast knowledge of illusions has made her both a valued educator and a dangerous opponent to anyone foolish enough to draw her ire.
Spells and Abilities
- Wondrous Rapidity — Jandice rears her staff back with a flash of wondrous Arcane force, unleashing a barrage of attacks that inflict 540[DJ 1] Arcane damage in a cone in front of her.
- Gravity Flux — Jandice creates a gravity distortion field that inflicts 12000 Shadow damage to all enemies who enter it, knocking them back and causing them to briefly go blind.
- Phantasmal Images — At 66% and 33% health Jandice will dissipate into thin air, creating multiple illusions of herself. Destroying the illusion behind which Jandice hides will force her back into the fray. In Heroic difficulty, defeating the wrong image will cause a Flash Bang, inflicting 3600 Arcane damage to all enemies.
- Whirl of Illusion — Whereas Jandice hides behind images of herself, the real Jandice will dance in a Whirl of Illusion, inflicting 179[DJ 2] Arcane damage to all enemies every 1 seconds.
Clear the room before starting the fight. The tank should charge in and turn Jandice around to keep her facing away from the rest of the party. When she starts casting Wondrous Rapidity, the tank can move behind her to save the healer some mana, as she will not move to keep the tank targeted after the cast or the channel has started.
At 66/33%, Jandice will split into fifteen shadow clones of herself with low health. All of them will randomly cast Whirl of Illusion on players. The real Jandice has black hair, headband, shoulders, gloves and belt — all of the clones differ in one or more of these slots. Players need to quickly find the right one and kill it (killing the wrong one triggers a small aoe explosion that hits your party for moderate damage). Once you kill the correct clone, the real Jandice will respawn, spinning for a few seconds, at the same spot where the clone was when it died, so the tank should land a taunt while she's still spinning before the rest of the group unloads. Make sure to turn her around again!
If you're fighting Jandice on Challenge Mode, or for the achievement, it helps to have the BarovHelper addon from Curse. It places large obvious models on your screen for the boss and your targeted clone, helping you save precious seconds and avoid unnecessary damage from killing the wrong one.
Alternatively, you can fight Jandice on the opposite side of a bookcase from where she spawns. If you stay there when she splits into her clones, the phase will end after several seconds without needing to destroy any of the clones.
|Intellect/hit Cloth head|
|Agility/crit Leather legs|
|Strength/parry Plate feet|
- Jandice Barov yells: Ooh, it takes some real stones to challenge the Mistress of Illusion. Well? Show me what you've got!
- Talking Skull says: I can't bear to watch.
- Whirl of Illusion
- Come, try your luck! Ha ha haaa...
- Feeling a bit... dizzy?
- Killing a player
- Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
- Oh, careful not to bleed on the rug, please dear?
- Better luck next time.
- Jandice Barov yells: Ugh... death... hurts? Unreal...
- The Talking Skull proceeds into the next chamber without saying a word.
Jandice Barov appears as a legendary Mage/Rogue card in the Scholomance Academy expansion for Hearthstone. Her flavor text reads: "Her parents own Scholomance. Of course she's going to play tricks on the students!"
Notes and trivia
- Before the release of Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, Jandice was listed as deceased in Ultimate Visual Guide and its second version.
- Jandice is voiced by Karen Strassman.
- In The Schools of Arcane Magic - Illusion by Archmage Ansirem Runeweaver, her name is written Jandace, presumably a mistake.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Now scales.
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): Janice Barov's Gravity Flux and Whirl of Illusion should now interact with players' immunity abilities as expected.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned from the original fight.
|Main||Whirl of Illusion|