- For the dwarven kingdom sometimes referred to as Khaz Modan, see Ironforge (kingdom).
|Level: 1 - 60; 84 - 90|
Grim Batol †
Menethil Harbor |
|Affiliation||Kingdom of Ironforge, Dark Iron clan, Wildhammer clan, Gnomeregan, Alliance, Dragonmaw clan, Horde, Thorium Brotherhood, Twilight's Hammer|
|Location||Central Eastern Kingdoms|
The mountainous subcontinent of Khaz Modan is found on the Eastern Kingdoms, between Stormwind and Lordaeron. It is the home of the dwarves, led by the Council of Three Hammers. It means "Mountain of Khaz" in Dwarven, in honor of the titan shaper Khaz'goroth.
In the World of Warcraft Manual, the continent of Khaz Modan is referred to as both Khaz Modan and Loch Modan. It is bordered by the continent of Azeroth to the south (and associated Kingdom of Stormwind), and Lordaeron to the north.
During the Second War, Khaz Modan was occupied by the Bleeding Hollow clan, who was guarding the refinement operations of the Horde. Dragonmaw clan itself was stationed there too. The subcontinent suffered greatly from this occupation: wildlife became scarce as both the orcs and their dragons in Grim Batol thrived heavily on fresh meat, and despoiled badlands become more common as plants themselves suffered. The dwarves that could fled, those that couldn't hid underground and started resisting. Forces of Stromgarde and Kul Tiras were stationed along the northern border of Khaz Modan, fighting to keep the orcs from advancing into southern Lordaeron. Danath Trollbane made a name for himself as a great leader during the final battle for the liberation of the continent.
- The Badlands (Classic)
- Blackrock Mountain
- Dun Morogh (Classic)
- Loch Modan (Classic)
- Searing Gorge (Classic)
- The Wetlands (Classic)
- Twilight Highlands
- It seems very likely that Khaz Modan derives its name from J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth and Khazâd, what Middle-earth's Dwarves name themselves in their native language of Khuzdul, and/or the ruined dwarven city of Khazad-dûm (Moria).
Khaz Modan in Warcraft II.
Map of Khaz Modan in the Game Manual.
Uncolored map of northern Khaz Modan in the film universe.
Colored map of northern Khaz Modan in the film universe.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 137
- ^ "The other two continents of the Eastern Kingdoms are Loch Modan in the center and Lordaeron in the north. Sometimes you will see reference to Azeroth the world, and other time you will see reference to Azeroth the continent." World of Warrcaft Manual, 104
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Clans of the Horde, Bleeding Hollow Clan
- ^ Day of the Dragon, chapter 10
- ^ Tol Barad (WC2 Human)
- ^ Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal manual, Legends of the Land, Danath