The Jailer had Kingsmourne created from Shalamayne by his Mawsworn shortly after the defeat of Sire Denathrius. It was engraved with Domination runes, and the Jailer inserted a blue crystal of unknown origin into the weapon as it neared completion. Far away in Oribos, Bolvar Fordragon sensed the creation of the blade in the form of visions of a terrible darkness rising within Torghast. The Jailer told his ally Sylvanas that they had to take a more direct approach with forging Anduin into their next weapon, and Sylvanas subsequently revealed the mourneblade to Anduin after telling him that he had the choice between joining her and the Jailer willingly or being made to serve. Anduin was not fazed, and told Sylvanas to make her choice.
Ultimately, Anduin was enslaved by the Jailer and was sent to Elysian Hold in Bastion with Kingsmourne disguised as Shalamayne. After he was revealed to be under the Jailer's control, Anduin plunged Kingsmourne into the ground to create a shockwave that stunned the nearby Paragons before using the blade to stab the Archon herself and extract her sigil, the second of five needed by the Jailer. After the Battle of Ardenweald, he used Kingsmourne to absorb the Winter Queen's sigil from the Heart of the Forest. During the battle between the Jailer and the Primus in the Runecarver's Oubliette, Anduin used the mourneblade to extract the Primus' sigil from his body and—rather than absorb it into the sword like the previous two—launch it toward the Jailer to allow him to absorb it directly.
- Before its actual name was revealed, some fans jokingly referred to Kingsmourne as "Shalamourne" (a portmanteau of "Shalamayne" and "Frostmourne"). In their publicized work, Blizzard artists refer to it as simply "Shalamayne".
- ^ Blizzard Watch 2021-02-20. Lore Watch Podcast 180: Interview with WoW Lead Narrative Designer Steve Danuser (03:18). YouTube. Retrieved on 2021-03-22. “[...] and we knew that we wanted that initial Shadowlands story, the kind of 9.0 launch story, to end on something of a cliffhanger, of Sylvanas standing there with the sword Kingsmourne kind of pointing at Anduin [...]”
- ^ a b Steve Danuser on Twitter. Archived from the original on 2021-04-23. “Shalamayne was used to forge Kingsmourne.”
- ^ a b
- ^ Robin Dao. World of Warcraft: Shadowlands, In-Game Cinematics work. ArtStation. Retrieved on 2021-03-22. “Texture upres and VFX masks for the sword Shalamayne, Aaron Villarreal did the modeling upres.”
- ^ Aaron Villarreal. World of Warcraft: Shadowlands: Sylvanas's Choice. ArtStation. Retrieved on 2021-03-22. “Upressed the model for Shalamayne, Robin Dao was responsible for textures upress.”
- ^ Aaron Villarreal. World of Warcraft: Shadowlands: Chains of Domination. ArtStation. Retrieved on 2021-03-22. “Upressed the model for Shalamayne, Robin Dao was responsible for textures upress.”