|Title||<Consort of the Queen>|
|Affiliation(s)||Red dragonflight, Wyrmrest Accord, Council of Six, Kirin Tor|
|Former affiliation(s)||Alliance of Lordaeron (as Krasus), Kaldorei Resistance|
|Occupation||Alexstrasza's prime consort, Archmage of the Kirin Tor, Illusionist (as Krasus)|
|Former occupation(s)||Member of the Council of Six|
|Relative(s)||Alexstrasza (consort), numerous draconic children|
Korialstrasz was the prime consort of the Aspect of Life Alexstrasza. In the guise of the high elven mage Krasus, he was a senior member of the Kirin Tor, and one of the Council of Six, the ruling council of Dalaran.
Korialstrasz was known for his stand-up confidence and self-control, and for being both a fighter and hyper-intelligent. He was involved in many important events of Azeroth's history, such as the War of the Ancients, the effort to free Alexstrasza from the Dragonmaw clan, the restoration of the Sunwell, the war against the Lich King, and the events leading up to and following the Cataclysm. While tending to the new clutch of red dragon eggs within the Ruby Sanctum, Korialstrasz sacrificed himself to halt the nefarious efforts of Twilight's Hammer.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 War of the Ancients
- 1.2 Second War and after
- 1.3 Day of the Dragon
- 1.4 War of the Ancients - present time
- 1.5 The Sunwell
- 1.6 World of Warcraft
- 1.7 Night of the Dragon
- 1.8 Wrath of the Lich King
- 1.9 Stormrage
- 1.10 Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
- 1.11 Tides of War
- 1.12 Legion
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 In the RPG
- 5 Memorable quotes
- 6 Notes and trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
War of the Ancients
At the beginning of the first war against the legion, Korialstrasz became incredibly and inexplicably weak. The cause, which Alexstrasza later determined, was Korialstrasz's future self, Krasus, existing the same time period as a result of being flung back from ten thousand years in the future (See Modern Era section below). Neither incarnation was able to shape-shift during this time. After being rescued from Cenarius' glade, Krasus was brought to Life Caverns, home of the Reds, where he was united with his past self. Despite great temptation, Krasus refrained from revealing any future events to anyone, even his queen, from fear of radically altering the future. Aided by a vision from Nozdormu the Timeless One, the younger and older Korialstraszs then teamed up to find the young druid Malfurion Stormrage, eventually joining the night elf resistance to the Burning Legion's invasion. Often, while Krasus led the night elf spellcasters, Korialstrasz would either aid the host from above, raining fire down on the demons, or rally some sort of surprise ally. Both Krasus and Korialstrasz fought valiantly against the likes of Hakkar the Houndmaster, Mannoroth the Destructor, Archimonde the Defiler, Sargeras the Destroyer, and their twisted former friend and allies, Neltharion the Earth-Warder and his Black Dragonflight. After escaping the Great Sundering of the Well of Eternity and the legion's defeat, Krasus and his companions were returned to their own time by Nozdormu.
Second War and after
Prior to the Second War, Korialstrasz assumed the identity of a high elf mage named Krasus, and became one of the senior leaders of the Kirin Tor — the ruling council of the magocratic kingdom of Dalaran alongside Antonidas, Prince Kael'thas and Kel'Thuzad. Hardly anyone knew who he really was: Antonidas's apprentice Jaina Proudmoore was not one of those privy to the truth.
He, along with his colleagues, questioned the young mage Khadgar on the events that occurred in Karazhan some years previous — including the death of Medivh, the apparent presence of Sargeras, and Khadgar's descriptions of Draenor.
After the Second War, Krasus learned from Antonidas that orcs riding on black dragons had stolen several ships from the Menethil Harbor. At that moment, the Arcane Vault of Dalaran was destroyed and robbed of its artifact - the Eye of Dalaran by death knights. Krasus, Kael and a few others then helped Antonidas in attacking the death knights, however they escaped with the help of Deathwing and his black dragons.
Day of the Dragon
Krasus used his position to his advantage when Alexstrasza was captured by the Horde and held prisoner so that her children would serve the orcish war effort. Korialstrasz continued to fight the battle that his kinsmen had given up long ago; the freeing of the Dragonqueen from the Dragonmaw clan. All of that came for nothing though until, at the end of the war, the Kirin Tor sent Rhonin on an observatory mission to Khaz Modan. Korialstrasz gave Rhonin other orders: to free Alexstrasza. Knowing that Deathwing would surely arrive to kill the Dragonqueen, Korialstrasz attempted to seek out the other three Aspects, Malygos in the Nexus, Nozdormu, and Ysera, realizing only with their help could the black dragon be defeated. However, their responses held bleak hope for his Queen. Whilst trying to scry into Lord Prestor's hovel, he triggered a magical trap known as the Endless Hunger, and lost the two last fingers on his left hand.
When the final battle at Grim Batol began, Korialstrasz assumed dragon form once more and made haste in order to recapture the Demon Soul from Nekros Skullcrusher. Nekros tried to use the Demon Soul on him but despite its great power, Korialstrasz was able to break free. Weakened, he dropped to the earth where he summoned Rhonin to him and asked him to do this task. The three Dragon Aspects arrived and healed Korialstrasz, then battled Deathwing. The battle took a turn for the worse until Rhonin destroyed the Demon Soul and the Aspects could now attack with their full power. Deathwing was no match for their combined might, and fled. Korialstrasz was reunited with his Queen and, after gathering up her unhatched children, they disappeared off into the night.
Shortly before the Third War, Krasus was present at a banquet held in honor of Arthas and Kael who at the same time were present in Dalaran.
War of the Ancients - present time
Korialstrasz was later called upon by Nozdormu to heal a rift in time. While exploring the time anomaly, Krasus and his former apprentice Rhonin were swallowed by the anomaly and thrown ten thousand years into the past. (See War of the Ancients section above). Upon his return to his own time period, Korialstrasz delivered the Axe of Cenarius and story of Broxigar to the Warchief Thrall, then flew off to rejoin Alexstrasza.
Korialstrasz originally saw the re-accumulation of the Sunwell's energy right after Kael returned to the forsaken homeland and destroyed the tainted Sunwell, and did not want the Lich King's new death knight, the treacherous Prince Arthas, to discover it. Korialstrasz formed the energy into a humanoid shape — the form of a peasant girl named Anveena Teague. Hiding the truth from her until a later time, Korialstrasz gave Anveena the illusion of having lived a normal life. Though not intentionally, she came to life and gained feelings and emotions all on her own through his masterful illusion.
Years later, Anveena and Kalec began searching for a mysterious mage named Borel in order to remove cursed collars. Borel had appeared to Jorad Mace who during the Third War wanted to escape the mad Arthas. Having no strength, Borel helped Jorad to survive. Borel's true identity is later revealed - the red dragon Korialstrasz. He began telling Anveena the truth — that she was the avatar of the Sunwell — when Dar'Khan Drathir, the elf who allowed Arthas into Quel'Thalas, intervened and began draining the power from her.
Korialstrasz never meant to intrude upon the events taking place, until Dar'Khan — upon gaining some of the power of the Sunwell he drained from Anveena — took control of the red dragon. Unable to break the mind control, Korialstrasz was forced to do battle with the blue dragon Tyrygosa, until the spell was broken by Raac. While the battle against Dar'Khan continued, Korialstrasz had once more stepped to the side to observe all of what transpired. In the end, he said that he would continue to watch over Anveena and Kalec through the eyes of Raac as they stayed in the care of Lor'themar Theron, the Regent of Quel'Thalas.
World of Warcraft
Korialstrasz is mentioned on several occasions:
- In the Ahn'Qiraj event, one of the rewards for completing is the . One would not think that Korialstrasz would be happy over his fang being taken.
- At Kirin'Var Village in Outland's Netherstorm, players must recover Krasus' Sigil and the three parts of Krasus' Compendium — powerful artifacts granted to the contingent of Dalaran mages who accompanied Khadgar to Draenor.
- In the middle of Badlands, a high elf named Garek gives quests sending players to battle against black dragons, saying he was sent by his master, Krasus of the Kirin Tor.
Night of the Dragon
Seeking something amiss Krasus decides to journey to Grim Batol in order to understand what force was darkening it's halls. En route to his destination he is attacked by a band of Naga and after dealing with them, he continues his journey in his mortal disguise. In time he would meet the Draenei priestess Iridi and re-encounter Kalec. At first, Kalec's attitude towards the consort of Alexstrasza was bitter and antagonistic; he blamed Krasus for his constant interference, and particularly for giving Anveena the illusion of life knowing how it would end. The pair would eventually end up arguing, and Krasus would reveal that he took the time to memorize the lives of everyone he had manipulated. The two dragons would then separate from Iridi as Kalec rushed off and Krasus teleported her away. During the battle that followed the pair would be captured and brought to Grim Batol.
In Grim Batol's halls, Kalec and Krasus discovered the black dragon Sintharia, now known as Sinestra, creating a new flight of dragons. Working together, oftentimes begrudgingly, the pair were able to escape and working with Rhonin, Vereesa Windrunner, Rom, the draenei priestess Iridi, and the nether dragon Zzeraku, they overcame Sintharia and her creation, the twilight dragon Dargonax. Iridi perished in the final battle, and Kalec took it upon himself to return her body to Outland. When asked by Krasus if Malygos would allow him to go to Outland, Kalec replied that — permitted or not — he was going anyway; to see Outland once more was Iridi's dying wish, and she deserved to be buried there. Krasus then departed Grim Batol in order to return to his queen.
Wrath of the Lich King
Korialstrasz finally makes his in-game appearance in World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, in the guise of Krasus. He is located at the Wyrmrest Temple in the Dragonblight at the side of Alexstrasza. Judging from Nalice's comments in , it was Korialstrasz who called for the dragonflights to come together in the Wyrmrest Accord to battle Malygos' crusade. He also appears in his natural dragonform with his Queen at Angrathar the Wrathgate following the battle there. Upon players obtaining the from Sapphiron in Naxxramas, Krasus gives the players the quest to defeat Malygos and obtain the from the Eye of Eternity.
In addition, there is a platform known as Krasus' Landing in the rebuilt city of Dalaran, where the city's flight master is located. As of Krasus death (see below), Modera is the last living member of the Second War-era Kirin Tor high council to appear in World of Warcraft.
When the Nightmare attacked Azeroth, Korialstrasz was settled down in his mountain sanctum near the place where Dalaran once stood. There, he had nightmares in which he became the source for Deathwing's new Demon Soul. Following the War Against the Nightmare, Korialstrasz was present for the wedding of Malfurion Stormrage and Tyrande Whisperwind, as Alexstrasza was performing the ceremony alongside Ysera.
Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
After the cataclysm, the dragons convened upon Wyrmrest Temple to have their first meeting with the blue dragonflight since the death of Malygos. Korialstrasz, not particularly liked by many of the blues, specifically Arygos, chose to stay behind and watch his newest clutch of eggs in the Ruby Sanctum. As Alexstrasza attended the meeting above, Korialstrasz discovered the Twilight's Hammer within the sanctum, casting dark spells on the eggs. Confronting them, he discovered that their spells had mutated the hatchlings, transforming them into deformed chromatic dragons. When he touched the first mutated hatchling, the infection passed on to him. It was then revealed to him via the gloating by one of the dying cultists that Korialstrasz had crushed that not only was the entire clutch of eggs infected, but every flight's eggs, in each of their sanctums. Slowly mutating into a Chromatic dragon but thinking of his beloved Queen one last time, Korialstrasz summoned every ounce of his life energy to link the portals of all the sanctums together and imploded, destroying a good chunk of Wyrmrest Temple, and utterly obliterating himself and the sanctums. Along with the sanctums fell the thousands of corrupted, hatching eggs. While his death and apparent betrayal was a shock to the other dragonflights, Alexstrasza suffered the most. In sadness bordering on madness, she shattered the Wyrmrest Accord and fled to the center of Desolace, where she sat waiting for death. Thrall attempted to rouse her from her depression but could not.
Later, during a battle above Wyrmrest Temple, Thrall had a near-death experience after falling from extraordinary heights. In his vision, given to him by the Spirit of Life, among other things he saw the truth behind Korialstrasz's actions. When the battle had ended, Thrall brought the news to Alexstrasza, who rejoined the fight with renewed purpose to not let her love's sacrifice be in vain. Before fighting Chromatus, Alexsrasza revealed the truth behind her mate's actions before the other dragonflights in order to clear his name and boost morale in the face of the danger before them.
Tides of War
At some point before his demise, Krasus made the following prophecy and bequeathed it to Rhonin, describing a future leader of the Kirin Tor:
After the red comes the silver,
She who was golden and bright;
The Proud Lady humbled and bitter,
Shall now turn her thoughts to the fight.
Saphire to diamond she gleams now,
The Kirin Tor leader who comes,
"Queen" of a kingdom now fallen,
Marching to war's martial drums.
Be ye warned - the tides of war
At last shall break upon the shore.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Angrathar the Wrathgate||??||3,510,000|
|Azshara (Huln's War)||??||2,448,181|
In the RPG
Korialstrasz is an ancient, wise, and powerful dragon of the red dragonflight. He was Alexstrasza's newest consort just prior to the War of the Ancients and continues to be so to this day. As her current prime consort, Korialstrasz acts as Alexstrasza's majordomo in all affairs. He is fiercely loyal to his queen, and was "first in love" among her consorts. As an active agent of the red dragonflight he is a protector of all things living, often spending time away from his queen and kin for his duties. He constantly watches over the younger races, often taking mortal guises and hiding amongst them. His most prominent guise in recent times is that of Krasus, a high elf mage of the Kirin Tor, and a member of the Six; the ruling council of Dalaran. Another guise is that of Borel, most likely his alias among the Convocation of Silvermoon.
Krasus appears to be a high elf wizard of extreme confidence, secure in his power and rank among the council. His very presence commands respect, and yet he is not proud or haughty. He remains in his elven form almost exclusively, transforming into a dragon only for special reasons or when in the presence of others of his kind. Those few who know his true nature have agreed to keep it a secret.
Krasus remains in his elven shape as long as possible during battle, revealing his dragon form only if desperate. He almost never shows his great strength in physical combat, preferring instead to fight with the spells and other arcane powers at his disposal. Should he choose to show his dragon side, he takes to the air swiftly, using his breath weapon and spell-like abilities to speed his escape. For all his strength and power, he is actually quite inexperienced in draconic combat. After all, he’s had little opportunity to practice during his decades of roaming the surface of Azeroth in humanoid form.
War of the Ancients
- "I am your servant. Now and forever, my love."
- "Yes, Malfurion Stormrage, I am a dragon. A red dragon, to be precise. Long have I worn the form of one mortal creature or another, however, for it has been my choice to walk among you, teaching and learning as I strive for peace among all of us."
- "The Burning Legion is but a shadow of his terrible darkness. Trust in me when I say that we have hope even if every demon who serves him comes through, but no hope if we destroy all only to have him step into the world."
- "It's begun...May the creators protect us...it's begun and there's nothing we can do to stop it..."
- Korialstrasz: "I am forever in your debt, night elf."
Malfurion: "There is no need for that."
Korialstrasz: "So you say. You were not the one dying."
- Neltharion: "You know me...but I do not know you. You would speak against me... make the others see me as you do... you would have them distrust their comrade of old...their brother...You will not be allowed to spread any of your malicious falsehoods..."
Korialstrasz: "I am one of you! My true name is known to the Queen of Life, but for now I am simply Krasus."
Malygos: "He bellows well, this hatchling."
Korialstrasz: "This is not a time for humor, especially for you, Guardian of Magic! This is a time when a balance is nigh upset! A terrible mistake, a distortion of reality, threatens everything...absolutely everything!"
Neltharion: "How dramatic..."
Korialstrasz: "You will hear my story! You will hear it and understand...for there is a worse danger on the horizon, one which touches us as well. You see — "
Neltharion: "I did warn you..."
- "We are the servants of Life, which means we know Death equally well."
- "Rest easy, my friends. I am only resurrecting the memories of his path. He will walk it, then that will be the end of the matter. I am no Nathrezim, to relish in the binding of corpses to do my will."
The Sunwell Trilogy
- "I discovered the re-accumulation of the well's energy, but thought it best to hide the truth until better days. I feared the Lich King might claim the power and thus seal the fate of all Azeroth! I believed I created a mere, if masterful, illusion to hide it...but the illusion became life on its own, something I never expected."
- "To all eyes, even Arthas', this place will still be barren. She has such power."
World of Warcraft
- Gossip (Wyrmrest Temple)
<The queen's consort nods in acknowledgement of your presence.>
Notes and trivia
- With Rhonin's death in Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War and Korialstrasz's dying in Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects, none of the time-travelers from the War of the Ancients Trilogy are alive.
- Krasus knows the Draenei language.
- Krasus is missing two small fingers of his left hand due to Daval Prestor's Endless Hunger curse. His eyes were black and face covered with scars.
- Before Patch 3.1.0, Krasus (Korialstrasz) had a meager 13,000 health in his dragon form. This paled in comparison to the whopping 13.9 million Alexstrasza has and the fact that he is an ?? elite boss. He now has 11,156,000 health.
- Korialstrasz uses a male high elf voice set in game.
- can be fished from Dalaran Fountain.
- He had the ability to raise corpses.
- Krasus had turned down leadership of the Council of Six more than once.
- Blizzard originally planned for Korialstrasz to be the red dragon who aided players in the battle against Sinestra in the Bastion of Twilight and who sacrificed himself to ensure victory. It would've made a lot of sense for Krasus to be present given his history with Sinestra, and since he was an important, recognizable character, his sacrifice would have had meaningful impact. However, Blizzard eventually realized that Krasus was slated to die in the not-yet-released Twilight of the Aspects book, and so they used Caelestrasz instead.
- Nozdormu apologizes to Korialstrasz after the War of the Ancients for actions he would commit against him in the future and says that not even he can change his ultimate "fate". Although he was apparently not directly responsible, his future version Murozond was indeed allied with the Old Gods during the Cataclysm, the latter in fact largely responsible for the creation of the infinite dragonflight.
Krasus' appearance prior to Warlords of Draenor.
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 173
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume I Issue II
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, pg. 57
- ^ Rosenberg, Aaron. Tides of Darkness, 104-112. ISBN 978-1-4165-3990-2.
- ^ Beyond the Dark Portal
- ^ Day of the Dragon
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
- ^ War of the Ancients Trilogy
- ^ Blood of the Highborne
- ^ The Sunwell Trilogy
- ^ Night of the Dragon, 96 - 97
- ^ Stormrage
- ^ Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
- ^ a b Arthaus. Shadows & Light, 43. ISBN 9781588469731.
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 202
- ^ Night of the Dragon, chapter 6
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 200 - 201
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. "Thirteen", Day of the Dragon, 363 (ebook). ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6.
- ^ David Milner 2018-08-14. A Look Inside How Blizzard Maintains World Of Warcraft's Lore - Game Informer. Retrieved on 2018-08-15.
- ^ Night of the Dragon, chapter 24