|Improvements||, , , , , Surge of Power|
Lava Burst is a direct damage Shaman spell that features a strong synergy with . Its short cooldown and its ability to reset with causes the ability to generally dictate the shaman's dps rotation and priorities. Lava Burst also generates maelstrom for Elemental shaman.
- Rank 2 (Level 20): Lava Burst will always critically strike if the target is affected by Flame Shock.
- Surge of Power (Elemental)
- Flame Shock must active upon completion of casting Lava Burst in order to guarantee a critical strike.
- Lava Burst will keep its guaranteed critical strike even if Flame Shock wears off while it is still traveling.
Tips and tactics
- Rotations should be timed around utilizing Lava Burst as much as possible.
- PvP - Lava Burst and , which has no traveling time, if cast in succession will generally hit at the same time for spike damage.
- Lava Burst is a rare Shaman spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "It's like an ocean of liquid magma in your mouth!"
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Maelstrom generated reduced to 10 (was 12).
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Damage increased by 6%.
- Hotfix (2017-09-16): Fixed a bug causing Lava Burst and Lava Burst: Overload to deal less damage than intended in PvP situations.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Spell power co-efficient increased to 275% (was 220%).
- Hotfix (2016-11-01): Lava Burst now deals full damage in PvP (was doing 80% of normal damage).
- Hotfix (2016-10-25): (Restoration) Lava Burst should correctly deal a critical strike against targets with Flame Shock, at level 20 or higher.
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): Lava Burst damage increased by 5% for Elemental.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Damage increased by 76.5%. Flame Shock now causes it to be guaranteed of critical hit instead of increasing damage.
- Hotfix (2015-11-20): Now deals 20% more damage while in PvP combat.
- Patch 6.2.3 (2015-11-17): Damage has been increased by 4%.
- Hotfix (2014-12-15): Lava Burst (Elemental, Restoration) now deals 33% more damage in PvP combat.
- Patch 6.0.3 (2014-10-28): Now costs 50% less mana.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now replaces for Elemental and Restoration shaman.
- Hotfix (2013-05-23): Elemental Overload version of Lava Burst should now properly deal 75% of the damage dealt by the Lava Burst that activated it.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): Now has a 2 second cast time, up from 1.5 seconds, and deals 25% more damage.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Base damage has been reduced by 33% but now always deals a critical strike. When cast on targets affected by Flame Shock, it now deals 50% more damage.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now an Elemental and Restoration specialization ability.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22):