- It uses the lightning animation instead of the normal nature animation.
- The damage caused is considered direct damage, though it cannot crit.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Now a baseline ability and redesigned. Lasts 30 minutes (was 1 hour).
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Damage is now 150% attack power (was 100%).
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Changed into a talent for Enhancement. Damage increased by 155%. Now also procs when attacking.
- Patch 6.2.3 (2015-11-17): Damage has been increased by 4%.
- Hotfix (2015-01-07): Lightning Shield should no longer expire prematurely when Cyclone is cast on an Elemental Shaman.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now persists through death.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer has charges and lasts for 1 hour, up from 10 minutes.
- Hotfix (2010-12-07): Lightning Shield again properly deals damage while the shaman is casting other spells.
- Patch 3.2.2 (2009-09-22): This spell will no longer set off some trinkets when it is cast.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Mana cost removed.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Ranks 8 and 9 of this spell now trigger correctly while mounted.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): Air Bubble pockets in underwater regions will no longer consume a charge from this spell.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Tooltip updated to reflect actual functionality.