“Proud, noble, majestic: a perfect symbol for the Alliance.”
- — Highland Lion
Lions are large, carnivorous cats. They are common predatory beasts found mainly in central Kalimdor, while some can be found in the Eastern Kingdoms and even in Outland. A variety of lions known as mountain lions usually roam the warm mountain regions and plains of high terrain. As predators, lions tend to be hostile and will attack players who approach them.
The noble and fearless lion is one of the traditional, bestial emblems of humanity. For generations it has adorned prominently the crests of Stormwind and the Alliance (as well as being a popular motif in Stormwind's sister-kingdom of Lordaeron).
- Plains Pridemane
- Plains Prowler
- Salhet's Lion
- Savannah Cub
- Savannah Highmane
- Savannah Huntress
- Savannah Matriarch
- Savannah Patriarch
- Savannah Prowler
As a mount
- is sold to players for 1500 after earning Exalted Guild Reputation. The reins use the second model of lion.
- is purchased from Deathguard Netharian for a .
As a companion pet
As a hunter pet
- Main article: Cat#As a Hunter pet
In the RPG
Dire lions are large lions found on Azeroth, and in the Badlands. Their faces constantly betray a look of aggression. Dire lions are patient hunters, just like their smaller cousin, but apt take on considerably larger prey. Many dire lions grow to be up to 15 feet long and weigh up to 1,000 pounds. A dire lion attacks by running at prey, leaping, and clawing and biting as it rakes with its rear claws. It often jumps onto a creature larger than itself. Dark Iron dwarves under Dedrik Thunderaxe had trained a dire lion to guard their cavern, and to ignore dwarves (it would not attack them). The lion wore an iron collar with two large loops on the top. They fed it a myriad of delicacies, including gnolls.
- Lions are skinnable.
- Several quests require players to collect lion parts, such as claws or fangs.
- Tauren druids using cat form turn into horned lions.
A Savannah Huntress lioness.
- ^ The World of Warcraft Pop-Up Book
- ^ Adorning Arthas Menethil's armor in-game as well as found on flags and embossed in gold in the human campaign screen of Warcraft III.)
- ^ File:Arthas Jaina Chronicle.jpg
- ^ Garithos' shield
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Monster Guide Web Supplement, 12. ISBN 1300002129.
- ^ Arthaus. World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, 70. ISBN 9781588467812.
- ^ Monster Guide, pg. 36
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 134 - 136