|Title||Master of the Royal Apothecary Society|
|Class||Apothecary, Rogue, Warlock|
Energy (Hall of Shadows),|
|Affiliation(s)||Undercity, Royal Apothecary Society, Uncrowned|
|Former affiliation(s)||Magocracy of Dalaran|
|Occupation||Master of the Royal Apothecary Society, Alchemist|
Master Apothecary Faranell is a Forsaken quest giver located in the Apothecarium in the Forsaken's Undercity. He is a doctor or has at least some type of a doctorate, and enjoyed experimenting with different brews and tinctures, trying this or that to cure something or improve one's life.
Faranell and his alchemist minions work to brew their newest toxins, as well as creating more powerful abominations to serve the Forsaken. As the Master of the Apothecarium, he oversees the most ambitious of their alchemical attempts.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Quests
- 5 Objective of
- 6 Quotes
- 7 In the RPG
- 8 Notes and trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
- 11 External links
In life, Faranell was a respected alchemist of great renown and spent the better part of his days studying medicine amongst the learned wizards of Dalaran. He enjoyed nothing more than experimenting with concoctions of every sort, always looking to create a serum for this, an antidote for that. After he died from the plague and rose as one of the Forsaken, his limitless curiosity was twisted by depthless sadism. Faranell became one of the foremost experts on the undead plague and is loyal to the Banshee Queen. Now Faranell uses his skills in service to Queen Sylvanas and Grand Apothecary Putress by crafting alchemical monstrosities and designing newer, more devastating and virulent plagues and toxins.
World of Warcraft
Faranell worked with other apothecaries on toxins and the New Plague. Apothecary Renferrel sent a Horde adventurer with bear hearts and spider blood to Faranell for study their toxic and contaminable properties. Faranell then asked the adventurer to go to Pyrewood Village to retrieve the journal of his former colleague, now the crazed worgen Apothecary Berard, and bring it to Renferrel. From the journal, Renferrel learned about ingredients that could help in the creation of the new plague. After the adventurer collected moss and tumor from bog beasts and murlocs, they brought them to Faranell. From the journal's notes, Faranell was able to create the new plague.
Later, Faranell worked with Apothecary Lydon on a new elixir. Lydon asked him to apply his colloid of decay on Mudsnout Composite, and Faranell then directed the adventurer to gather more reagents in order to activate the contaminating agents in the Mudsnout Mixture.
Afterward, Faranell asked for a Kraul Guano from the bats in Razorfen Kraul. With the guano experiment, he wanted to observe what effect two diametrically opposed chemical substances can have on each other, with an added ever-toxic agent. Thus he sent the adventurer to collect hearts of the Scarlet Crusade members in the Scarlet Monastery.
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
Faranell showed a New Plague's effect as two prisoners, a human female and a Forsaken male drank it and decomposed. Sylvanas Windrunner was pleased with this result, but warned Faranell that the blight should never fall into the wrong hands.
Wrath of the Lich King
After the Battle for the Undercity, Faranell and his apothecaries were watched over by Overseer Kraggosh and his Kor'kron Overseers. He became the leader of the Royal Apothecary Society again. Master Apothecary Faranell now holds that Putress and the rest of the rebels were an anomaly and hopes that the Royal Apothecary Society can regain the trust of the Horde in time.
There was an incident with an orc guard and one of Faranell's abominations. When the Kor'kron Overseer chopped its head clean off and kicked it into the slime, Faranell's apprentices searched for hours but they couldn't find it. Armand Cromwell sent adventurers to fish it, and they delivered it to Faranell.
When Overseer Kraggosh and his overseers moved into the Undercity, the Royal Apothecary Society was forced to do their real work in secret. Such an arrangement inevitably led to Faranell and his alchemists working in the Hall of Shadows in the sewers of Dalaran. They seem to conduct experiments on a caged Stonevault Rockchewer, a Seething Leper and an Elwynn Sheep.
Battle for Azeroth
Following the Battle for Lordaeron, the Horde's apothecaries tried to weaponize the blight infecting the Ruins of Southshore, before the Alliance troops blew up the experiments and encountered Faranell.
|Apothecarium, Undercity||1-50||Alliance Horde||Has mana as resource.|
|Hall of Shadows||10-45||Alliance Horde||Has energy as resource.|
|Battle for Darkshore||50||Horde||Appears in the Horde version.|
- Shadow Bolt — Hurls a bolt of dark magic at an enemy, inflicting Shadow damage.
- Volatile Toxin — Inflicts Nature damage and inflicts addtional Nature damage every 1.5 sec. for 6 sec.
- After the Wrathgate event
- It's true our new... guests are limiting our work somewhat, but it is only natural to be wary when a genocidal attempt is made. Perhaps in time they will be convinced that Putress was an unfortunate anomaly and allow us to continue our work in peace.
- Kor'kron gone
It is so nice to see the Undercity returned to the calming wheezes and gas-expulsions of the abominations. The orcs smelled far worse.
- Hall of Shadows
When that brute Kraggosh and his overseers moved into the Undercity, we were forced to do our real work in secret. Surely you can see how such an arrangement inevitably led me here.
- Conversation with Kraggosh
- Overseer Kraggosh says: I've got my eye on you, Faranell.
- Overseer Kraggosh says: No abominations protecting you. No secrecy. No plotting in the dark.
- Overseer Kraggosh says: If you so much as spit without my permission, this place shuts down. Forcefully.
- Master Apothecary Faranell says: I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives.
- Master Apothecary Faranell says: We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace.
- Overseer Kraggosh says: We'll see about that.
- Apothecary Keever talks to himself in a nearby room.
- Overseer Kraggosh says: Get that rotten nut to shut his trap!
- Kor'kron Overseer says: Shut your face, you gibbering idiot!
In the RPG
He is the leader of the the Royal Apothecary Society. Sylvanas had initially chosen two brilliant minds to lead her new Apothecary Society: Faranell, a human wizard who excelled in magical potion creation, and Oni'jus, a half-elf infiltrator who was a master of mundane poison concoction (and whose idea it was to add "Royal" in front of their fledgling group’s name). A dwarf tinker, Brightflame Masjenal, later rounded out her three leaders, with Faranell leading the three.
The first Royal Apothecary member, this human was a wizard taken by the Scourge at Dalaran. A personal friend of Jaina Proudmoore, he watched as she failed to protect her people from her former lover. He hates the humans and the Alliance almost as much as he hates the Scourge for taking his life. The Lich King paid him little interest as he never showed much promise with necromancy, which left his will free enough to be rescued by Sylvanas. Despite his inability to create death magic, he is a valuable asset as his skill at crafting potions is unparalleled. He leads the Research & Development branch of the Society and urges the wizards and sorcerers under him to develop their death magic so that the forsaken will have the might to go against the Scourge some day. He adores his Lady and daily his heart aches more and more for her, but love is not for the undead, only sorrow and loss. He looks like most of the undead in the Society, as his body is covered in sores and rotting flesh. He is permanently stooped from some crushed vertebrae he suffered in the fall of Dalaran. He looks no one in the eye except for his queen, upon whom he gazes adoringly.
The apothecary Faranell headed the project to create a master plague, similar to Ner'zhul's, to wipe out the living races as well as the Scourge, constructing a new plague to wipe out all of humanity and the Forsaken’s nemesis. For a long time the society had not yet produced results. Since the world at large refused to accept them as people instead of undead, they continued their dark designs to eliminate all non-Forsaken life forms on Azeroth. However, for a while their plague only killed only humans, and didn't affect the Scourge at all. The Royal Apothecary Society believed that their usefulness to the Dark Lady was coming to an end. If they couldn't finish their master plague, they were worried their Society would be disbanded. Due to repeated failures by the society to make a new plague of undeath, Sylvanas recruited necromancers to find other means of raising slain enemies, into her cause.
The figure is hunched over, clutching a withered staff for support as if his body is too feeble to remain standing without assistance. Dressed in a dark cloth robe, the figure is emaciated and pale, with skin stretched tightly across his bony frame. He is surrounded by an almost sickeningly sweet odor, apparently emanating from several pouches of herbs and reagents located on the chest of his robe. Two wands dangle from his belt, clinking against each other as he moves. Master Apothecary Faranell is an expert alchemist who prefers to avoid direct combat, but is resigned to it as a means of periodically acquiring new test subjects for his experiments. Faranell always prefers to incapacitate enemies with spells rather than kill them outright, in order to maximize their usefulness as “volunteers.” His first actions in combat are to cast greater invisibility or another more appropriate defensive spell on himself and then move to a location with an easy escape route. He then attempts to hamper his enemies with stinking cloud and cripple and uses mana burn to disrupt enemy spellcasters. As a last resort, Faranell uses his wand of frost nova to finish off wounded enemies, not hesitating to include himself in the blast radius due to his immunity to cold.
Notes and trivia
- Mathias Shaw reported that prior to the Battle for Lordaeron, they managed to get the upper hand on Faranell, and an SI:7 agent retrieved Berard's Journal from him.
- Even though Kraggosh's status was changed and the Kor'kron forces removed from the city, Faranell retained his quote about their "new guests" for some time until it was fixed at one point..
- Master Apothecary Faranell was described as the leader of the Royal Apothecary Society, however in World of Warcraft: Sylvanas, it was established that Grand Apothecary Putress' was the societies original leader with Faranell being revealed as one of his subordinates.
- As the Ultimate Visual Guide entry kept the timeframe of leading vague, only saying that "Faranell now leads the Society", it could be interpreted as relating to the present time of UVG's timelines (MoP & WoD) instead of the past.
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Game Manual#Undead (Forsaken)
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, pg. 199
- ^ World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 110
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 155
- ^ a b
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Exploring Azeroth: The Eastern Kingdoms, pg. 113
- ^ Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, part three - interlude
- ^ #Quotes
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 107
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 163
- ^ a b Lands of Conflict, pg. 108
- ^ a b Lands of Conflict, pg. 164 - 165
- ^ Horde Player's Guide, pg. 153, 154
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 152
- ^ World of Warcraft: Sylvanas, chapter 15
- ^ World of Warcraft: Sylvanas, chapter 20
Grand Apothecary Putress
Chief Apothecary of the Royal Apothecary Society