Mastery: Elemental Overload
Spell nature lightningoverload.png
  • Mastery: Elemental Overload
  • Level 29 Elemental shaman ability
  • Passive
  • Your Lightning Bolt, and Chain Lightning casts have a 15.0% chance to trigger a second cast on the same target, dealing 85% of normal damage and generating less Maelstrom.

    Rank 2 (Level 78): Your Mastery can now also affect Elemental Blast, Lava Burst, and Icefury.
Usable by
Class Shaman
Other information
Level learned 29
Affects [Chain Lightning], [Lightning Bolt], [Elemental Blast], [Icefury], [Lava Beam], [Lava Burst]

Mastery: Elemental Overload is the mastery for Elemental Shaman, improved by the mastery secondary stat.




  • Stormkeeper - Causes the next two casts of Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning to trigger an elemental overload on every target struck.
  • Surge of Power - Casting [Earth Shock] allows the next Lightning Bolt to trigger an elemental overload 1 to 3 additional times.
  • [Totem Mastery] - The Storm Totem from this talent increases the chance for Lightning Bolt and Chain Lightning to trigger an elemental overload by 5%.
  • Unlimited Power - Grants a stacking buff for 2% Haste for 10 seconds each time an elemental overload occurs. The buff's duration is not refreshed when a stack is gained.


  • At level 120, the ratio to gain 1% mastery is 38.9 mastery rating.
  • The amount of maelstrom generated by elemental overloads is 75% of the normal amount.
  • Though not mentioned, the [Lava Beam] ability gained while transformed by the Elemental version of [Ascendance] is affected by this mastery.
  • Elemental Overload only affects the direct damage done by [Icefury]. It does not affect [Frost Shock] casts under the Icefury buff.
  • Each ability that can trigger this mastery has a separate spell (typically named <Ability Name Overload>) that's used for overloads. This allows the Shaman to distinguish casted abilities from overload procs in logs.


  • This is the first and only mastery in game that is available before level 78. Thus, elemental is the only specialization that gains any benefit from mastery rating prior to level 78.
  • This is the first and only mastery that has an additional rank.
  • This is the first and only mastery to be reintroduced after being removed as one.
  • Prior to the introduction of masteries, the ability for certain Shaman spells to "overload" has existed in game since Patch 2.0.1 added [Lightning Overload].

Patch changes

  • Battle for Azeroth Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Now available at level 29 (reduced from level 78) and split into two ranks.
  • Legion Hotfix (2017-11-28): Elemental Overload spell damage reduced by 25% in PvP situations.
  • Legion Hotfix (2017-09-16): Fixed a bug causing Lava Burst and Lava Burst: Overload to deal less damage than intended in PvP situations.
  • Legion Hotfix (2017-09-06): Elemental Overloads should correctly hit if the target is behind the caster.
  • Legion Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Mastery: Elemental Overload now does 85% of base damage (was 75%) and its proc rate has been reduced by 17%.
  • Legion Hotfix (2017-01-24):
    • Icefury Overload's damage is reduced by 35% in PvP situations.
    • Elemental Blast Overload's damage is reduced by 15% in PvP situations.
  • Legion Hotfix (2016-09-23): Mastery effects increased by 12.5%.
  • Legion Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added, replacing [Mastery: Molten Earth].

External links

Rank 1 Rank 2