Mastery: Ignite is the Fire Mage Mastery, improved by the mastery secondary stat. Whenever the Mage hits with , , , , or , the target burns for additional damage over 9 seconds. Ignite also procs off if the Mage is talented into this spell.
- causes targets affected by Ignite to sometimes flare up, causing the target and all other nearby targets to take instant fire damage.
- causes Ignite to deal its full damage 100% faster, but it no longer automatically spreads unless is active.
- causes Fire Blast to increase mastery rating for 3 seconds, stacking. This significantly increases the value of Ignite.
- increases Ignite's damage done by 4% per rank (4 Base Ranks, up to 7 ranks with appropriate Relics).
- causes targets affected by Ignite to sometimes take additional instant fire damage.
- Ignite deals damage every second, and refreshes to a maximum duration of 10 seconds.
- Ignite cannot critically strike and is unaffected by Haste.
- Ignite will attempt to spread itself to any nearby enemy within approximately 8 yards, regardless of whether or not the enemy is in combat. This includes Neutral mobs.
- If an Ignite is attempting to spread itself to a target that is already affected by an Ignite of lesser damage by the same Mage, it will overwrite that Ignite.
- If an Ignite is attempting to spread itself to a target that is already affected by an Ignite of greater damage by the same Mage, it will fail and be overwritten by the larger Ignite.
- Ignite can spread to multiple targets at once, and has no limit on how many targets it can spread to so long as they are in range.
- When Ignite spreads to another target, it matches its remaining duration from the target it spread from.
Before becoming a mastery, Ignite used to be generated from critical strikes only. However, it dealt 40% damage from the triggering spell, and was triggered by all Fire Mage direct damage spells. It ticked every 2 seconds and lasted 4 seconds, but did not spread itself.
Prior to patch 2.0.1, Ignite stacked up to 5 times. This was due to the now removed debuff limit, and consequently only one Ignite could exist per target. Once an Ignite was triggered on a target, any mage talented into Ignite could add stacks to and extend the duration of the Ignite on the boss, "rolling" the Ignite until it expired due to a lack of critical strikes or was forced to expire due to threat generation (all damage and threat generated went to the mage that triggered it). Ignite did not recalculate its damage, it simply dealt damage based off the spell that triggered it. Consequently this made Ignite the highest damage spell in the game, due to the fact that it could deal up to 200% damage of a spell critical strike for as long as it was "rolled." The term "Rolling Ignite" comes from this era.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-04-10): Fixed a bug where a Fire Mage's Ignite could interact incorrectly with Duel (Arms Warrior PvP Talent), resulting in significantly reduced or increased damage to secondary targets.
- Hotfix (2016-09-01): Ignite spreading will no longer incorrectly remove other Mages' Ignite.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Ignite's duration increased to 9 seconds, up from 5. Base Mastery reduced to 6% (down from 12%). Level learned reduced to 78, down from 80. Ignite will now spread itself automatically if possible.
- No longer affects , , and multistrikes.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Ignite now deals the same total damage with a 1 second period (down from 2 seconds). Base duration changed to 5 seconds so that duration when refreshed remains 6 seconds.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Redesigned into Fire specialization mastery.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Ignite is no longer triggered from periodic critical effects.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Ignite is now a 3 Ranks talent, down from 5 Ranks. Causes the target to burn for an additional 13/26/40% of Fire Spell Critical Strikes, up from 8/16/24/32/40%.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Now correctly benefits from the dispel resistance granted by the Arcane Subtlety talent. In addition, this talent will now properly include in its damage calculation any damage of the initial fire critical strike that was absorbed.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14):
- The effect of this talent will now still be placed on the victim if the caster is killed before their spell reaches the target.
- The damage done by this talent no longer receives modifications from effects that increase or decrease damage done by a percentage.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): This talent is no longer triggered by damage dealt by Molten Armor.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05):
- No longer limited to one Ignite per target. All mages now get their own Ignite debuff.
- Ignite no longer gains stacks from subsequent critical strikes.
- Ignite will now reset the DoT duration when reapplied.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): The effect of this talent will now still be placed on the victim if the caster is killed before their spell reaches the target.
- Patch 1.10.2 (2006-05-03): Bug fix: Should now proc correctly when landing a critical strike with a fire spell.
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): This talent will now only trigger off fire damage generated by mage spells. In addition, when a fire spell is reflected back at the caster, the caster will now correctly receive the Ignite damage.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Can now be dispelled by any effect that dispels magic effects.