|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.3a but is present in World of Warcraft: Classic.
- For the post-Cataclysm replacement, see Grand Magus Doane.
|Class||Warlock, former mage|
|Former affiliation(s)||Kingdom of Stormwind|
|Location||Tower of Ilgalar, Redridge Mountains|
Long ago, three mages studied in the mage tower of Stormwind until one of them, Morganth, fell to the dark arts. He was urged to turn away from that evil magic, but he could not resist, and was banished. Morganth took with him a powerful book – , though he failed to break the seals placed on it by the mages of Stormwind.
Morganth made an alliance with the Blackrock orcs led by Gath'Ilzogg, the Blackrock Warlord. Fueled by the evil magic of Morganth, the Blackrock orcs attacked Stonewatch Keep in Redridge. They fought with horrific savagery and captured the Keep. Shortly after their victory, Morganth turned on his orcish cohorts. He constructed an arcane tower, the Tower of Ilgalar, and used his powers to build a small army of Shadowhide gnolls led by Lieutenant Fangore, to serve his malicious bidding. Both orc and man have fallen victim to the brutes that serve Morganth.
Morganth communicated with the Shadowhide gnolls through the magical pendants. Theocritus, mage of Tower of Azora in Elwynn Forest, spent months of research to find a way to communicate with the gnolls through these pendants. He wants to learn how to send an attack through the pendants, to immobilize any Shadowhide gnolls who wear them. Theocritus has also developed a means of spying on his rival, the Eye of Azora, and could view him from afar, though his final purpose is to study Morganth's thoughts.
It's known that Morganth was searching for the Scythe of Elune, but it seems that he has no success in his search. Judging by artifacts found in Tower of Ilgalar, Morganth was interested in researching the dragons.
Also, the mages of Stormwind wanted to have Ur's Treatise on Shadow Magic returned because they fear that Morganth may find a way to open it and read its contents. Theocritus tasked the adventurers of the Alliance to kill Morganth.
- Demon Armor (Protects the caster, increasing armor, Shadow resistance and health regeneration for 30 min.)
- Fireball (Inflicts Fire damage to an enemy.)
- Minion of Morganth (Summons 1 Minion of Morganth to aid the caster in battle for 5 min.)
- Summon Succubus (Summons 1 Succubus to accompany the caster until dismissed.)
- Morganth was replaced in Cataclysm by Grand Magus Doane. Curiously, he uses the same database ID and model; it is unclear if there is intended to be some relationship between the two.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Removed.