Mountain dwarves is a term used for a sub-race of dwarves that live primarily in the mountains.
Mountain dwarves are found in Khaz Modan, Aerie Peaks, Northeron, and the Hinterlands. The Bronzebeard dwarves and Wildhammer dwarves (aka wild dwarves) have both been described as having (or being) mountain dwarves or hill dwarves. The Bronzebeard mountain dwarves live primarily underground deep beneath the earth within vast caverns and mines, whereas the wildhammer mountain dwarves prefer to live on the surface of mountains. Wildhammer mountain dwarves are slightly taller by about six inches and leaner than the Bronzebeard hill dwarves, but just as muscled. They are also less earthy.
Note: The term mountain dwarf does not appear to be denote a specific race, but rather describe where dwarves primarily live. The term has only appeared a few times.
It seems that "mountain dwarf" was originally a term for a Wildhammer dwarf, before the latter term was cemented. In the RPG and WoW, it referred to Bronzebeard dwarves before World of Warcraft: The Magazine reversed it back.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Magazine Volume 2 Issue 1
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. Day of the Dragon, 35. ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6. "Wild dwarves...the mountain dwarves...,"
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. Day of the Dragon, 210. ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6.
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. Day of the Dragon, 257. ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6.
- ^ Knaak, Richard A.. Day of the Dragon, 35. ISBN 978-0-6710-4152-6.
- ^ Lands of Conflict, pg. 19