Nerglish (or murloc) is the native guttural language of the murloc race, as well as the primary language of the makrura and a few other aquatic races. The language namely consists of the murlocs' iconic gurgling battle cry. Nerglish is "impossibly difficult" to decipher, causing the murlocs' supposed intelligence to be seen as debatable by non-murlocs. Despite this, other races such as night elves can learn and speak the language fluently. The language is described as difficult to get one's tongue around the subtleties of pronunciation, but is a beautifully expressive language. Murlocs of the Winterfin tribe in the Borean Tundra have their own unique murloc dialect.
Murloc Nerglish primer
- Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle! (MP3 sound) = No direct translation, probably some sort of battle cry.
- Flllurlog = Move (walk).
- Flllurlokkr = Fisherman.
- Furl = Feral.
- GRRundee = Gordunni.
- Klun = Clan.
- Kuldurrreee = Night elf.
- Mglrmglmglmgl = The murloc gods have blessed us.
- Mgrrrl = Fishing nets.
- Mllgggrrrr = Thirsty.
- Mmgr = With.
- Mmm- = Tasty.
- Mmmm = Good (enough).
- Mmmml = Right (correct).
- Mmmm mrrrggk = Good magic.
- Mmmrrggllm = Aunt.
- Mmmrrgglm = Uncle.
- Mmmrrglllm = Friend.
- Mmmurlok = Murloc.
- Mrgle = Yes, or used as an acknowledgement.
- Mrgllll glrrm gl! = I will kill you!
- Mrrrggk = Magic.
- Mrrrgll = Sorry.
- Murguhlum = Ringworm.
- N = And.
- Nk = No.
- Nk mllgggrrrr = Not thirsty.
- RRRgrrr = Ogre.
- Shng = Sing.
- Skr = Scar.
- Srng = Spring (season).
- Urka = Up.
- Uuua = Honor.
- According to the official Hearthstone site, "Aaaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle" is a Nerglish saying meaning "The more, the merrier."
- Sir Finley Mrrgglton's Hearthstone flavor text mentions him being able to speak fourteen different dialects of 'mrgl'.
- Eddie Malone claims to have picked up a few words of Nerglish back when he took some MMA classes. During he and Professor Doyle's welcoming ceremony in an Un'Goro Crater murloc village, Eddie only managed to make out the murlocs' words for "party", "feast", and "Megafin". When Megafin finally appeared at the feast, he and Eddie quickly became friends and agreed to be pen pals so that Eddie could practice his Nerglish.
In the TCG
An excerpt from Nat Pagle's Field Guide to Aquatic Life reads: "I know the murlocs sound like they're just gurgling, but they're speaking a real language. 'Ggmmmlmrmrgmg' means 'murloc', for example."
In the RPG
Nerglish is the languages spoken by murlocs, makrura, and a few other aquatic races. Nerglish is a low aquatic tongue akin to Low Common for cultures that dwell in the deeps. Makrura speak Nerglish (and were perhaps the first to use that tongue). Murlocs usually only speak their racial dialect of the language, also known simply as Murloc, and nothing else, although some have been known to learn other languages. It is unknown how much of a difference there is between murloc and makrura dialects of the language.
Murloc names contain many wet, soft sounds; "sh"s, "l"s, and "m"s are common. Their tribe names recall something of the tribe's accomplishments, appearance, history, or tradition.
- Male Names: Ashmol, Loshof, Molgloo, Shlesh.
- Female Names: Malash, Orgloom, Seeshen, Shyresh.
- Tribe Names: Blindlight, Bluegill, Greymist, Saltspittle.
- "Fish in the Stream" and "My Favorite Pearl" are murloc songs that the dryad Taryndrella somehow knew and sang them to Murky.
- ^ a b Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos manual, Creatures of Lordaeron & Northrend, Murlocs
- ^ a b Ultimate Visual Guide, pg. 179
- ^ Archive lore tweets from loreology
- ^ a b c d Traveler, pg. 195
- ^ Samwise Didier at 2008 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational
- ^ Heroes of the Storm: Murky Hero Week - Quotes and Facts
- ^ a b Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 143
- ^ Traveler, pg. 339
- ^ a b Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 100
- ^ a b c Traveler, pg. 199
- ^ Traveler, pg. 190
- ^ Legion Zone Preview: Highmountain
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 28
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 318
- ^ a b Traveler, pg. 196
- ^ Traveler, pg. 197
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 95
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, chapter 1
- ^ a b Traveler, pg. 198
- ^ Traveler, pg. 172
- ^ a b Traveler, pg. 176
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 8
- ^ The Protectors of Hyjal#The Hyjal Protector party
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 7, 143
- ^ Traveler, pg. 213
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, chapter 33
- ^ a b Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 350
- ^ Traveler: The Shining Blade, chapter 12
- ^ Traveler: The Spiral Path, pg. 409
- ^ http://eu.battle.net/hearthstone/en/community/recruit-a-friend
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2017-03-21. E. Malone's Journal - Week Three. Retrieved on 2017-03-21.
- ^ Frenzyfin
- ^ Lands of Mystery, pg. 68, 71
- ^ Manual of Monsters, pg. 64
- ^ Lands of Mystery, pg. 138
- ^ Dark Factions, pg. 11
- ^ Traveler: The Shining Blade, chapter 18