|Level: 5 - 50|
Battle Pet Level: 3 - 4
|Former ruler(s)||Monte Gazlowe|
The Crossroads |
Mor'shan Rampart |
|Affiliation||Horde, Steamwheedle Cartel|
|Former affiliation(s)||True Horde|
|PvP status||Horde territory|
The Northern Barrens is the northern half of what was once the Barrens. Before being divided it extended into Southern Barrens without break; the two areas are now separated by the Great Divide. It serves as a proving ground for young Horde warriors, ready to seek glory in the name of their people.
- Main article: Barrens#History
During the Cataclysm, Deathwing tore through the Barrens, carving a steep, magma-filled gorge across its center, from Stonetalon Mountains to the Merchant Coast. The areas north and south of the divide became near inaccessible to each other. Following this, what was once the Barrens became more commonly referred to as Northern Barrens and Southern Barrens. The Horde kept its hold on Northern Barrens, desperate to keep trade routes to Orgrimmar open.
Events on Pandaria have caused the Kor'kron to construct new fortifications in the region, including lumber yard, an elemental camp, a meat camp, and a refinery as a response towards the anti-Garrosh uprising led by Vol'jin. During the Battlefield: Barrens, the Darkspear Rebellion and the Alliance fought over the Northern Barrens against the Kor'kron and the Blackfuse Company in order to take their resources.
Battle for Azeroth
|This section is a lore stub.|
Following the Fourth War, two tauren braves spotted two dark ranger spies on a ridge in the Northern Barrens and alerted a senior patrol who caught the two Forsaken. They, however, swallowed a concoction and died.
Rexxar and Zekhan visited the area and reported that the Crossroads remains busy with merchants and its nearby memorial place is visited by all Horde races. Alliance and Horde have abandoned interests in the Wailing Caverns' natural resources, but the corruption of the Nightmare still remains. Over the years, Mor'shan Rampart has seen many conflicts, changed hands between the two warring factions, but now it is held by Alliance's troops.
The Northern Barrens is the northern half of what used to be the Barrens. It is bordered on the north by Ashenvale forest, east by the Great Sea and Durotar (across the Southfury River), west by Stonetalon Mountains, and south by the Great Divide, a steep, magma-filled canyon.
The territory is a large grassland, or veld-type area, dotted with trees and hills and containing three oases. To the east the plateau ends in a short cliff, separating off a small amount of land just above the neighboring Southfury River and coastline of the Great Sea. Savanna covers much of the northwest, with trees most dense near the border to Ashenvale.
Maps and subregions
- Orgrimmar, Durotar
- Crossroads, Northern Barrens
- Nozzlepot's Outpost, Northern Barrens
- Splintertree Post, Ashenvale
- Silverwind Refuge, Ashenvale
- Hellscream's Watch, Ashenvale
- Krom'gar Fortress, Stonetalon Mountains
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Durotar||1 - 20||East||On foot across the Southfury River, or by flight path from Crossroads or Ratchet to Orgrimmar|
|Ashenvale||15 - 60||North||On foot or by flight path from Crossroads to Splintertree Post or Zoram'gar Outpost|
|Southern Barrens||30 - 60||South||On foot or by flight path from Crossroads to Desolation Hold or Ratchet to Desolation Hold, Fort Triumph, or Northwatch Hold|
|Cape of Stranglethorn||30 - 60||By boat from Ratchet|
- Main article: Northern Barrens NPCs
- Main article: Northern Barrens quests
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone level: 10 - 20.
- Hotfix (2013-09-12): Kor'kron related NPCs and creatures in Northern Barrens should be neutral to players below level 85 once more.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21): New orcish fortifications and high-level content added to build up the storyline's advancement towards the Siege of Orgrimmar. Northern Barrens is contested territory for characters between level 85 and 90.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Result of splitting The Barrens. While the Southern Barrens became a Contested zone, the Northern Barrens remains Horde territory.