|Location||Dustwallow Marsh, Mulgore, Theramore Isle, The Barrens, Outland|
|Previous||To Tame a Land|
|Next||A Blaze of Glory|
Old Hatreds is the second act of the The Founding of Durotar campaign.
- 1 Submaps
- 2 Loading screen
- 3 Quests
- 3.1 Main Quests
- 3.2 Optional Quests
- 4 Transcript
- 4.1 Act Intro
- 4.2 Main Quests
- 4.3 Optional Quests
- 4.4 Closing Act
- 4.5 Unused quotes
- 5 Notable enemies
- 6 Forces
- 7 Notes and trivia
- Coastal Base
- Theramore Isle
- Dustwallow Marsh
- Tidefury Cove
- Tomb of the Ancients
- Den of the Lost
- Magistrates Temple
- Outland Arena
The light breeze brings the smell of the sea over Dustwallow Marsh. The Darkspear tribe has set up its new village here, just as the tauren founded their new home in nearby Mulgore when they freed themselves from the oppressive grasp of the centaur.
- Meet up with Samuro
- Place Unstable Concoctions (5 Placed)
The Human patrols block your passage to Theramore Isle. The stealthy Blademaster Samuro has offered to help place some Unstable Concoctions at key locations around the Human Shipyard. The ensuing explosions will be more than enough to distract the Humans, allowing you to make a break for the island without fear of cannon fire.
- Reach the Naga lair
- Find any Human survivors
- Take the ship to Theramore Isle
It seems that Jaina Proudmoore is still faithful to her pact with Thrall. Someone else must be behind these Human incursions. Jaina has offered to help discover the culprit, but a more pressing matter has come to her attention. The Human settlement in question is under attack by strange creatures from the sea that call themselves the Naga. Find and save any surviving Humans so that Jaina will help you identify the Human aggressors.
- Secure a naval transport
- Destroy the harbor gates
- Sail out of the harbor
- Return to Vol'jin
Admiral Proudmoore's forces are ruthless and harbor only hatred for the Orcs. Thrall must be warned about this impending Human invasion. You must capture one of the Humans' transports and use it to escape the harbor. The future of Durotar hinges upon your success.
- Take the Zeppelin to Mulgore
- Find Cairne Bloodhoof
- Secure the aid of the Tauren
- Return to Vol'jin
The time for battle against Admiral Proudmoore's navy quickly approaches. You must speak with Cairne in Mulgore and ensure that the Tauren hold fast to their support of the Horde.
- Find Bovan Windtotem
- Destroy the Centaur village
- Return Baine to Cairne
The Centaur have returned to plague the Tauren, and this time they've taken Cairne's son, Baine. You must seek out Bovan Windtotem and his white Tauren. Their mystical powers may be able to help you discover the whereabouts of the vile Centaur and rescue Baine before it's too late.
- Take the Zeppelin to Dustwallow Marsh
- Talk to the warlord Kor'gall
- Secure the aid of the Ogres
- Return to Vol'jin
The Stonemaul Ogres have fallen under a ruthless new warlord named Kor'gall. Though you are only half-Ogre, the opportunity to win the Ogres to Thrall's side could prove invaluable. Seek out the Stonemaul Ogres and secure their allegiance.
- Enter the Gauntlet
- Defeat the Gauntlet
- Return to Kor'gall
The Ogres trust only those with great strength. To earn their respect, you must run Kor'gall's Gauntlet by defeating a fierce assortment of dangerous foes.
- Slay Kor'gall
Though you've proven yourself a powerful Ogre, the Stonemaul clan will only follow the strongest leader. You must defeat Kor'gall in single combat without the use of your items. The winner shall reign supreme over the Stonemaul clan.
- Report to Thrall
- Travel to Tidefury Cove
- Destroy Proudmoore's Castle
- Return to Thrall
Thanks to your efforts, the Horde stands ready against Admiral Proudmoore's mainland forces. Though Proudmoore plans to unleash his army against the Orcs, you now have the chance to turn the battle upon him. Crush his forces and demolish his stronghold!
- Investigate the Centaur camp
- Slay Khan Gragtor
A nearby Orc village has been torn asunder by Khan Gragtor and his Kolkar tribe of Centaur. It would seem that several Orcs were taken as unwilling slaves to do the Khan's bidding. You must raze the Centaur camp to the ground and cut Khan Gragtor to pieces to show that such vile actions against the Horde will not be tolerated.
- Slay Bloodbeak the Berserker
Although Samuro is eager to help the Horde, his previous mission weighs heavily on his mind. He has been tracking a Wildkin named Bloodbeak the Berserker, who tore a path of destruction through Samuro's home town. Given the opportunity, Bloodbeak will surely strike again while the powerful Blademaster is away. Slay Bloodbeak, and answer Samuro's call for revenge!
- Locate the Harpy den
- Slay the Harpies
- Return to Tagar
The vicious Stonetalon Harpies are destroying the Tauren's Kodo herds. Though normally quick to stop such incursions, the Tauren hunters are away searching for Cairne's lost son. Find the Harpy den and destroy the foul poachers to win Cairne's trust.
- Retrieve a Wildkin Claw
- Retrieve a Storm Lord Eye
- Retrieve a Bronze Dragon Scale
- Return to Thrall in Tidefury Cove
Thrall is constructing a new banner for the Orcs, but it is more than a mere strip of cloth. It requires several rare ingredients that can only be found on creatures of the wild. With the items in his possession, Thrall can enhance the Battle Standard of Durotar with powerful enchantments that will help in the upcoming conflict with the Humans.
- The zeppelin carrying Rexxar, Rokhan, and Chen arrives at the new Darkspear village, where the beastmaster and his allies meet with Vol'jin.
- Vol'jin: Greetings, mon. My tribe be honored by your visit, though I know you got big matters to be attendin' to. Sneaking onto Theramore Isle be no easy task. Luckily, there be one who can help you. He waits for you by the shipyard. To reach him, follow the road out of town.
- Vol'jin: We heard reports that the human fleet patrols the channel between the mainland and Theramore Isle. Be wary, mon. They could stand between you and the sorceress you seek.
- Samuro: Throm-Ka, brother. I am Samuro. My humble skills are yours. Vol'jin entrusted me with a batch of explosive wards filled with an unstable concoction. If I can place them on some critical structures, I could create enough of a distraction to allow you to sneak across the channel in this boat.
- HINT - Rexxar and his companions will stay behind while the stealthy Blademaster Samuro sneaks into the enemy base.
- HINT - Arcane Towers can detect Samuro while invisible. Destroy the explosive barrels to destroy the tower.
- With the completion of Samuro's task, the buildings around the Coastal Base explode. Rexxar and his companions enter the orc transport ship and travel to Theramore, where they confront Jaina Proudmoore at the entrance to the city.
- Thrall--the same warchief you tried to kill. He is curious as to why your warriors encroach on our lands and threaten us with war. Rexxar: Jaina Proudmoore, I am Rexxar. I bear a message from Warchief
- Jaina Proudmoore: What are you talking about? I do not seek Thrall's death, nor do I have any intention of betraying the pact we made.
- Rexxar: Perhaps. But the fact remains that your ships and your warriors have been raiding our encampments on the mainland. I had to bypass a large encampment just to reach you.
- Jaina Proudmoore: I assure you, I ordered no such attacks. Lead me to these troops, Rexxar. I want to see them for myself.
- Back on the coast of the mainland, the group finds the human base in flames and overrun by naga.
- Jaina Proudmoore: Rexxar, those don't look like humans to me.
- Rexxar: Those snake creatures--they must have destroyed the camp and slaughtered your brethren!
- Rexxar: The serpents' lair must be around here somewhere. If we can find the human survivors, we'll confirm whether or not they serve your cause.
- Rexxar: We're too late. The serpents already killed them all.
- Jaina Proudmoore: Wait. This one's still alive!
- Jaina runs over to a wounded footman standing in a corner of the area.
- Footman: Mistress Jaina? We've found you... at last! The admiral... will be... overjoyed.
- The footman dies.
- Jaina Proudmoore: Is it even possible? We've got to get back to Theramore immediately.
- Rexxar: But what--
- Jaina Proudmoore: Just trust me, Rexxar. I'll explain when we get there.
- HINT - Jaina's Mass Teleport spell can take you directly to the Orc Transport to the north.
- Jaina teleports herself, Rexxar, Rokhan, and Chen to Theramore.
- Jaina Proudmoore: Hopefully we've made it in time. You've got to get word back to Thrall that--
- Rexxar: I don't understand. What's this all about?
- Jaina Proudmoore: Those marines... I know who they are, Rexxar. They're--
- Bell rings to signal ships that have made landing.
- Jaina Proudmoore: It's too late. He's here.
- The ships make dock and unload the human troops onto Theramore Isle. A gate opens to reveal the appearance of Grand Admiral Proudmoore to Jaina.
- Lordaeron fell, I despaired. But I knew you'd find a way to escape. I... what is this? An ogre? Grand Admiral Proudmoore: Jaina. Bless the stars, I've found you at last! When I heard that
- Jaina Proudmoore: Father, wait!
- Rexxar: Father?
- orcs have their own kingdom now. We-- Jaina Proudmoore: The Horde is no longer our enemy! The
- remember what these monsters did to our homeland. The orcs and their kin cannot be trusted. They must be exterminated like the mongrels they are! Grand Admiral Proudmoore: You have always been naive, my daughter. You aren't old enough to
- Jaina summons a water elemental.
- Jaina Proudmoore: I won't let you do it, father. You don't understand!
- Perhaps in time, you will too. Seize them all! Grand Admiral Proudmoore: I understand more than you suspect, my dear.
- The admiral retreats through the gate, which closes behind him, leaving his troops to attack Rexxar and his allies. Jaina calls down a blizzard to destroy some nearby crates, opening a path for Rexxar to escape, before teleporting herself and her elemental away.
- Rexxar: I've got to get out of here and warn Thrall about Admiral Proudmoore. There are a number of small ships in the harbor. If I can commandeer one, I should be able to reach the open seas unnoticed.
- Rexxar: This should do nicely. Now all I have to worry about are the harbor gates.
- Rexxar: Proudmoore's marines have closed the harbor gates. I'll need to bust them open before I can escape. If I can make it to the open seas, I should have no problem reaching the mainland.
- HINT - Admiral Proudmoore's forces will not fire on your Human Transport. Your units are disguised while onboard.
- Vol'jin: I'm glad you escaped, Rexxar. And don't worry--we'll send word to Thrall about the admiral's fleet. If that human's planning on attacking Durotar, he'll find the warriors of the Horde ready to greet him!
- Vol'jin: It be takin' the warchief some time to amass the Horde's warriors. You gotta gather what allies you can find before the admiral makes his move against Durotar.
- Mulgore. The mighty tauren who be livin' there will lend what help they can. Seek out the chieftain, Cairne Bloodhoof. He will honor his oath to the warchief. Vol'jin: Take this zeppelin and travel to
- BONUS HERO POINT RECEIVED - Your heroes now have an additional hero point to spend.
Enlist the Tauren
- Rexxar: This beautiful land must be Mulgore. I have never met a tauren before, but their strength and courage are legendary.
- Cairne Bloodhoof: Who are you, traveler? Why have you come here?
- Rexxar: I come in the name of Thrall, warchief of the Horde. His lands are in danger, and he calls upon his old allies to aid him. I seek the one known as Cairne. Do you know him?
- Cairne Bloodhoof: I am Cairne, but I can be of help to no one. Return to your warchief and tell him that I am dead... just as my heart is dead.
- Tagar walks up to Rexxar to explain the situation.
- centaur attacked our village recently. Our chieftain's only son--Baine, was taken captive. The centaur are cannibals and do not keep prisoners for long. We searched everywhere for a sign that Baine was still alive, but we found no trace of him. Tagar: The barbarous
- Tagar: Poor Cairne has been lethargic for some time. Without his wisdom and leadership, I fear that the centaur will decimate our tribe. Perhaps if you could find some clue as to his son's fate, it might rouse the chieftain from his stupor?
- Bovan Windtotem out on the plains. He and his brethren will aid you on your search. Tagar: Find
- Vol'jin: You returned just in time, Rexxar. Our scouts found this wounded ogre near the borderlands. Despite his wounds, he came all the way here, seeking help.
- Ogre: Must help. New warlord... conquer clan. Killed many warriors... lead clan to ruin. Brothers not survive. Me... seek help.
- Rexxar: New warlord, huh? Don't worry, friend. I think I can help you. Have your witch doctors tend to his wounds, Vol'jin. I'm going to pay a little visit to his clan, and meet this new warlord for myself.
Rescue Cairne's Son
- Rexxar: Greetings, brother Windtotem. I was told you could help me locate Chieftain Bloodhoof's son. There may still be a chance that the boy lives, but we'll need to find the centaur encampment as quickly as possible.
- Bovan Windtotem: I see.
- Bovan walks towards a nearby well.
- Bovan Windtotem: I dreamed of this...
- Bovan casts a spell, and the pool shows where Baine is being held captive.
- Rexxar: That's the centaur encampment. They could be keeping Baine in one of those cages, but we'll have to fight our way to them.
- NEW UNIT ACQUIRED
- Spirit Walker - Mystical Tauren caster. Has Ethereal Form, which allows him to avoid physical damage. Also has Spirit Link, which allows units to distribute incoming damage.
- HINT - Spirit Walkers can use their Ancestral Spirit ability to raise fallen Tauren from the dead.
- Rexxar: Don't worry, Baine. We'll have you back to your father in no time.
- Cairne Bloodhoof: Baine, my son, I thought I'd lost you forever! I was an old fool to despair. Rexxar, by returning my son to me, you have given me new life. For that I will ever be grateful.
- Cairne Bloodhoof: Now, you said that your warchief was in trouble--that the Horde needed the tauren once again. Well, Thrall did much for us in his time, and we will not fail him. My warriors will rendezvous with the warchief upon the battlefield, but I will be returning with you.
- NEW UNIT ACQUIRED
- Cairne - Warrior Hero, exceptional at absorbing damage and melee combat. Can learn Shockwave, War Stomp, Endurance Aura and Reincarnation.
Enlist the Ogres
- Rexxar: That must be the ogre's village. I should fit right in.
- Stonemaul warrior! Ogre: You no welcome, halfbreed. You no
- Rexxar: Look, I don't want any trouble. I just want to talk with your warlord.
- Ogre: You want talk Kor'gall, you get past us!
- Kor'gall: You fight good, halfbreed. You Mok'Nathal--have weak orc blood in veins. Still, you strong. Why you come here?
- Rexxar: I've... come to join your clan. I want to be a Stonemaul, too.
- Kor'gall: You got some ogre blood. You got right to join... but do you got the strength? We see, halfbreed. We see.
- Kor'gall: So, you want join the Stonemaul clan? First, you take Trial of Strength. Need find the Gauntlet--harsh valley full of big foes. Slay foes. Run the Gauntlet. That prove strength to us. Go now, halfbreed. We see if you return.
- Vol'jin: You be tougher than I imagined, Rexxar. The ogres be a great help when the battle begins. We just get word that the warchief and his forces set up the command post in the central basin. The tauren and ogres you gathered goin' to be joining them soon.
- Vol'jin: Check in with Thrall at his base. The battle 'gainst Admiral Proudmoore's forces could start up at any time.
Trial of Strength
- Rexxar: This must be the valley Kor'gall spoke of. The Gauntlet, he called it. Well, I'd better get this over with. I'd hate to keep the brute waiting.
- Kor'gall: You got strength after all, halfbreed. You worthy to be Stonemaul. Now you in, what you want from clan?
- Rexxar: I want you and your warriors to help the Horde battle the humans. The Stonemaul clan would be a great asset to the orc warchief.
- Kor'gall laughs.
- Kor'gall: Stupid halfbreed! We ogres split from Horde long ago. They weak--soft. We no owe them nothing! Long as I rule, Stonemauls no help no orcs!
- Rexxar: Then perhaps you've ruled long enough.
- Rexxar: Kor'gall, as a member of the Stonemaul clan, I claim the right to challenge you for leadership.
- Kor'gall: Me had no real challenge in long time, halfbreed. Breaking you be fun. We both take Trial of Blood. Me and you. No tricks, no magic toys, just muscle and skills.
- At the arena...
- Kor'gall: You think me dumb. You think me slow. Now you see why Kor'gall rules clan!
- Rexxar: I underestimated Kor'gall's skills. I'll need to call upon my beasts to defeat him.
Trial of Blood
- Ogre: Rexxar! Rexxar! Rexxar!
- Rexxar: I have defeated Kor'gall in single combat! I have passed the Trial of Blood! I rule Stonemaul clan now, and I command you all... to war! You ogres arm yourselves and meet the orc warchief upon the plains. Blood and glory to the Stonemaul clan!
- Ogre: Rexxar! Rexxar!
- Thrall: Once again, you have done the Horde a great service, Rexxar. I am in your debt.
- standard for Durotar--a mighty banner bearing the symbol of the Horde. I want to place a shamanistic blessing on it, but I require a few items to complete my spell. Would you gather them for me? Thrall: If you're willing, there's one last thing I need before the hammer falls. We've crafted a new
- Rexxar: Of course, Thrall. I'd be proud to.
- Thrall: Your efforts may have saved us all, Rexxar. The ogre and tauren conscripts you've rallied could turn the tide in our favor. Proudmoore's forces have established a stronghold due north on our position. Our scouts report that he's mobilized all of his standing forces for an attack on Durotar.
- Rokhan: Warchief, Admiral Proudmoore's forces have begun their advance! They'll be here any moment!
- Thrall: Let them come. They'll find the Horde to be more than they bargained for. Rexxar, you've earned the honor of drawing first blood. I'll hold the defenses here, but I want you to lead the attack against Proudmoore's base.
- Rexxar: Gladly. All right, you warriors--the hour of victory has arrived! Come, you tauren! Rise up, you ogres! Today, you stand united with the Horde! Lok-Tar Ogar!
- Rexxar: This village has been razed. There's no evidence that the clan survived at all.
- Rokhan: There be hoofprints everywhere. This must be the work of the centaur!
- Mathogg: Throm-Ka, warrior! I knew the warchief would not forsake us! You've got to kill the centaur khan and take his iron key. It's the only thing that can open these blasted cages!
- Khan Gragtor: Weakling orcs no learn lesson! This land belong to us, forever!
- Rexxar breaks Mathogg free of his cage.
- Mathogg: Thank you, warrior. Now that my clan is safe, we will begin our march to Orgrimmar. Tell the chieftain we will join him soon.
The Kodo Poachers
- harpies of the Stonetalon Mountains have been poaching our precious kodo herds. Tagar: With Cairne grieving as he is, many of our enemies have been gaining a foothold in our lands. The vicious
- Tagar: The kodos' meat and hides are essential to our survival, but the harpies slaughter the beasts and leave their carcasses to rot in the sun. It would be a great help if you would hunt the witches down and end their poaching once and for all.
- Rexxar: Rotting kodo husks. What a terrible waste. The harpies will pay for this sacrilege of nature!
- Tagar: We are in your debt, warrior. The harpies will not trouble us again for many seasons. Still, I fear that without our chieftain's leadership, our tribe's prosperity will fade.
Standard of Durotar
- Thrall: These are perfect, Rexxar. Just let me finish the spell.
- Thrall finishes the spell to create the Standard of Durotar.
- champion of the Horde. Thrall: There, the blessing is complete! One last thing, Rexxar--I want you to carry our standard into battle! I hereby name you...
- Rexxar: It... is an honor, Warchief. I will carry your standard with pride. Lok-Tar Ogar!
- The Horde forces overrun the admiral's base. The surviving humans board what ships they can and escape out to sea. Thrall rides up to meet with Rexxar on the shore.
- Rexxar: Throm-Ka, Warchief. We've routed the human forces on the mainland, but it appears that Admiral Proudmoore and his marines have pulled back to the safety of Theramore Isle.
- Thrall: I wish this was the end of it, Rexxar. But so long as Admiral Proudmoore lives, he'll never stop hounding us. We must press our attack and lay siege to Theramore itself.
- Thrall: I only pray that Jaina is safe. She had nothing to do with her father's agenda, but unfortunately, invading her citadel is the only option we have left.
- Vol'jin: Haven't reached Theramore yet? You best be hurryin', warrior. You gotta deliver the message soon.
- Vol'jin: Our ogre friend be recoverin' swiftly, Rexxar, but I thought you were heading out to his village? You'd best be hurryin'.
- Rexxar: I've secured the first component, but I've got to hurry and get the others! Time is running out!
- Rexxar: That's it. I've got all of them. I'd better get these back to Thrall quickly!
- Naga: More surface dwellers! Destroy them!
- Naga: You cannot stop the naga!
- Naga: Intruders! Slaughter them before they escape!
- Rexxar: Strange. I don't see any human bodies strewn around.
- Jaina Proudmoore: Yes, but these tracks lead out to sea. Look there–that tiny island!
- Jaina Proudmoore: Well, we won't find any answers waiting around here. Let's move.
- Thrall: You've got to hurry, Rexxar! I want our standard flying high when we meet the humans head-on!
- Rexxar: Strike hard, warriors! Push the humans back!
- Rexxar: Slay the intruders! Let none survive!
- Rexxar: The human lines are breaking! Now is our time to strike!
- During Standard of Durotar
- Orc Grunts
- Orc Shamans
- Kodo Beast riders
- Wind Riders
- Darkspear Troll headhunters
- Darkspear Berserkers
- Darkspear Bat riders
- Darkspear troll witch doctors
- Tauren Spirit walker
- Stonemaul ogres
- Stonemaul ogre-magis
- Stonemaul priests
- Horde transport ships
- Horde Frigate
- Shadow wolves
- 1 Grand/Lord Admiral
- 3 Archmages
- 3 Paladins
- 1 Mountain King
- Mortar Teams
- Veteran Footmen
- Veteran Riflemen
- Veteran Knights
- Elite Chaplains
- Elite Hydromancers
- Veteran Mortar Teams
- Human Transport ship
- Human Frigate
- Human Battleship
- Navy Swordsmen
- Navy Snipers
- Gryphon Riders
- War Golems
- Siege Golems
- Granite Golems
Notes and trivia
- Alicia and Little Timmy are found in the Theramore map.
- Designer commentary in the game files suggest the unused dialogue was removed for implying time pressure when there were no actual time constraints.
- Juliana, Justine, and Ming added in the Theramore map.
- The unnamed ogre at the Darkspear village is now named Crol'ka.