- For the realm of the dead as a whole also named as the other side, see Shadowlands.
|De Other Side|
|Location||Shadowlands (entrance at The Necropolis in Ardenweald)|
De Other Side (also spelled as Da Other Side and The Other Side) is Bwonsamdi's pocket dimension in the Shadowlands. It's a dungeon in World of Warcraft: Shadowlands. Though it is a realm of its own, it has a physical entrance in Ardenweald.
Bwonsamdi brings the spirits of any who worship him into his realm. The realm of death is his alone and Bwonsamdi guards spirits well, if a life ends and Bwonsamdi is that someone's friend, then that spirit Bwonsamdi will surely guide, "Come on through to de other side."
Bwonsamdi has kept a secret place in the Shadowlands he refers to as De Other Side. When the dead started funneling into the Maw, Bwonsamdi hid several in his little domain, keeping his troll followers safe. But this broke an old deal with Mueh'zala and now the ancient loa has come to harvest those souls and destroy their caretaker. Bwonsamdi will need help collecting on some of his other dealings if he is to survive this onslaught and protect the souls within.
Maps and subregions
Please add any available information to this section.
Wrath of the Lich King
During Zalazane's Fall, Vol'jin called Bwonsamdi from the Other Side.
Battle for Azeroth
Spirits of Bwonsamdi's faithful flock to his temple in Nazmir where they come to enter Bwonsamdi's realm of the Other Side. A large number of blood troll souls have been sent to the Other Side for Bwonsamdi by a Horde champion. Kel'vax Deathwalker's soul was sent to the Other Side by his parents to be judged by Bwonsamdi for his betrayal.
- In Drakil'jin Ruins in Grizzly Hills, a corruption filled Drakkari spirits with great angst and prevented them from entering eternal rest. Kraz asked an adventurer to set these spirits to rest by entering the other side by using a gong.
- After killing Warlord Thresh'jin and throwing his body into a bonfire, Vex'tul jumps into the bonfire as an undead with free will and his spirit passed into the next realm. As the troll was saying his goodbye, he mentioned he will see you in green fields on the other side.
- The King Rastakhan boss fight in the Battle of Dazar'alor has Bwonsamdi open portals to a "death realm". During the Battle of Dazar'alor, Bwonsamdi raises fallen Zandalari soldiers and beats to defend Dazar'alor, summoning a blood moon in the process.
- The Other Side is based upon African Diasporic Traditions (particularly Voodoo) and derivatives therein.
- Bwonsamdi's realm being named the Other Side may be a reference to the Disney movie The Princess and the Frog, where the villain Dr. Facilier was partnered with voodoo creatures known as the "Friends on the Other Side".
- The designs of both Facilier and Bwonsamdi were modeled after the real world Guédé loa Baron Samedi.
- Within Haitian Vodou, the dead and lwa are said to reside in "Guinee" with all the other ancestors, whose gates are guarded by Papa Legba and whose backdoor is kept by Kalfu.
- The crossroads design of the instance is a nod to the fact Legba and Kalfu consider crossroads sacred, and many workings involving them require a crossroads.
- The version of Zul'Gurub accessed through Bwonsamdi's portal within the Other Side may actually be another dimension than reality given the odd landscape and the fact that Hakkar mentions he "will live again", implying he is not fully resurrected. It could be the Emerald Dream, or a result of the Other Side bleeding into Zul'Gurub, or a part of the Other Side entirely, or Hakkar's own pocket realm similar to the one entered during the Jin'do encounter.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.