Pick Lock is a level 25 rogue ability that allows a rogue to open locked chests, doors, junkboxes, and lockboxes. A rogue's Pick Lock skill is equal to 5 times their character level; for example, a level 30 rogue may unlock items requiring a skill level of 150 or less. Rogues can verify their current Pick Lock skill by viewing its tooltip.
Before Patch 4.0.1 rogues could learn Pick Lock at level 16. You began with a Lockpicking skill level of 1 and were required to actively train it by picking locks. The amount you could train was capped at 5 times your character level. For example, at level 16 you could train your Lockpicking skill from 1 to 80; in order to train beyond 80 you would need to reach level 17, at which point you could raise your skill level to 85. Like profession recipes, locked items were color-coded to indicate the probability of a skillup upon being unlocked (the colors are still in the game, but are purely cosmetic).
Alliance players could obtain the quest in Redridge Mountains and begin training their lockpicking using the Practice Lockboxes that spawn in the mill. Horde players had a similar quest, , which gave them to opportunity to practice on Buccaneer's Strongboxes aboard a ship off the coast of Ratchet. Blood elf rogues could pick up , which tasked them with unlocking Burial Chests in the Ghostlands catacombs. All these quests still provide , which were required to pick locks prior to Patch 3.0.2, but now have no use. Instead of venturing to questing areas, rogues could also begin their training using , crafted by engineers.
At higher skill levels rogues were generally required to find chests and doors to train on, which were often guarded by mobs. Rogues could talk to their rogue trainer for recommendations of areas containing footlockers corresponding to their skill level. Rogues could also mobs and unlock any junkboxes they found. Alternatively, a rogue could offer free lockpicking services to other players in the hopes of leveling it, and some even paid for skillups.
, crafted by leatherworkers, used to increase lockpicking skill by 5, but they no longer seem to provide this benefit.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now has a 1.5 sec cast time, down from 5 sec.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Pick Lock now skills up as you level, you no longer need to practice. Hovering over your Pick Lock icon will show the current level of box you can open. Now learned at level 20 (was 16).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Pick Lock no longer requires .
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-04-19): The Rogue trainers will now point the player to an appropriate area with boxes to unlock depending on the lockpicking skill of the player.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): A number of areas in the world now have footlockers in them. These areas are in place for rogues to visit to increase their lockpicking skills. The contents of these footlockers are only token amounts of treasure, but they should allow for a more interesting experience while increasing lockpicking skill. The difficulty of the locks in the area correspond to the level of the zone, so if your lockpicking skill is around 100, you would go to Durnholde Keep in Hillsbrad Foothills. But if your skill is 250, you might head to Tyr's Hand in Eastern Plaguelands.
- Patch 1.2.2 (2005-02-15): Rogues now correctly gain Lockpicking skill from items picked in the trade window.
- Lockpicking, an overview of lockpicking in general with a comprehensive list of items rogues can unlock and alternative methods provided by certain professions.
- TCG Card