Pillars of Creation
- This article is about the lore of the Pillars on Azeroth. For the related achievement, see . For the eponymous quest, see . For the Gorgrond object, see Pillar of Creation (Gorgrond).
The Pillars of Creation are relics created by and named after the members of the titan Pantheon that were gifted to the titan-forged Keepers so they could shape the world of Azeroth when it was young.
During Azeroth's ordering, the Pantheon bestowed the Pillars of Creation to the titanic keepers to aid them with that colossal task. Ages after the keepers had completed their work, the Pillars would become lost and scattered across the lands of Azeroth.
War of the Ancients
After the Highborne found the Pillars while hunting artifacts throughout ancient Kalimdor, they guarded them in the Vault of Antiquities in Suramar. During the War of the Ancients, the Burning Legion attempted to attack the kaldorei on two fronts. As such, they opened a secondary portal, besides the one at the Well of Eternity, inside the Temple of Elune of Suramar. The Highborne led by Grand Magistrix Elisande and opposing Queen Azshara used the Pillars of Creation to close the portal and put several seals on the Temple. After their success, the Pillars were subsequently scattered across the land that would become the Broken Isles.
Ten millennia later during the third invasion of the Burning Legion, the orders and Dalaran managed to retrieve and stored them within the Portrait Room in the city of Dalaran. The Armies of Legionfall kept progressing towards the Tomb of Sargeras on the Broken Shore, eventually breaching into the Tomb. Within the massive temple, each of the Pillars was placed in a particular slot and were used to seal off the Legion's portal once again and the entire Tomb with it.
Magni the Speaker said the Pillars couldn't be used to draw out the corrupting energies from the sword of Sargeras in the Wound of Silithus because the Pillars were needed to keep the Tomb sealed. Instead the champions of Azeroth used their artifact weapons.
Battle for Azeroth
|Pillar||Zone||Former location||Slot in Tomb of Sargeras|
|Aegis of Aggramar||Stormheim||In the possession of Odyn in the Halls of Valor||Placed atop the Cathedral of Eternal Night|
|Tidestone of Golganneth||Azsuna||Destroyed by Queen Azshara, fragments remained within Nar'thalas Academy||Placed at the Abyssal Throne|
|Eye of Aman'thul||Suramar||Remained in Suramar City at the Font of Night, Nighthold||Placed at Felstorm's Breach|
|Hammer of Khaz'goroth||Highmountain||Guarded by the united tribes of Highmountain in Thunder Totem||Placed in the Conclave of Torment|
|Tears of Elune||Val'sharah||Kept in the Temple of Elune||Placed in the Befouled Sanctum|
- It is unknown how several of the Pillars left the elves' possession. The Highborne of Suramar used them to seal the Legion's portal in the Temple of Elune during the War of the Ancients. Then, they used the Eye of Aman'thul to put up a shield around their city, entering an isolation of 10, 000 years. However, several of the Pillars were gone between these two moments.
- The Tidestone of Golganneth ended up in Nar'thalas Academy, in Azsuna, where Queen Azshara shattered it, cursing the entire region.
- The Hammer of Khaz'goroth ended up in Neltharion's possession. It was then stolen from Neltharion's Vault by Huln Highmountain after the final battle of the War of the Ancients, who used it to banish the Aspect, now Deathwing, to Deepholm. This means that Neltharion retrieved the Hammer right after the Highborne used it to seal the Temple and stored it within his Vault before Huln stole it from him.
- The Aegis of Aggramar ended up in Keeper Odyn's possession, in the Halls of Valor.
- The Tears of Elune were stored in the Temple of Elune of Val'sharah.
- During Legion's reveal at gamescom, 2015, it was stated that the Pillars of Creation were used twelve-thousand years ago by the Highborne to seal a wound in the earth, who then built the Temple of Elune over it. This has not been mentioned anywhere since then and was seemingly replaced by the War of the Ancients story first featured in Chronicle which was brought up again in The Tomb of Sargeras.
- Even though the Discs of Norgannon are similarly named to the Pillars of Creation, they are likely not as they were crafted by Loken and Mimiron, not the Pantheon.
- Oddly, there are only five Pillars (of which four are named after titans, Elune's only assumed to be Eonar's), despite there being nine keepers and six titans in the Pantheon at the time of the Pillars' creation.
- The Pillars were possibly mentioned by Il'gynoth, a sliver of N'Zoth in the Emerald Nightmare: "Five keys to open our way. Five torches to light our path."