The Player vs. Player interface can be opened through clicking the Player vs. Player tab of the Group Finder, accessed through a button on the micro menu at the bottom of the user interface. It can also be accessed through speaking to a Battlemaster.
The Player vs. Player interface has four tabs, serving as a kind of menu from which to select the desired form of PvP: Casual, Rated, War Games and Premade Groups. Players can click on the desired option to access the corresponding pane.
At the top of the Casual pane is a role check pane. Players can select one or more of the main combat roles - tank, healer and DPS - indicating which role(s) they are willing to perform in a group. Only roles appropriate for a character's class are available for selection, but the character's specialization has no effect. Players must select at least one role before being allowed to queue, and players cannot change their chosen roles while already in a queue, meaning that players cannot queue for different roles for separate specific groups; they must make a single selection for all queues. Players are informed of the role they are expected to perform when their group is ready, and their character's role marker is set accordingly upon joining the group. However, players are free to change role and/or specialization once they have joined the battleground or arena.
Beneath the role check pane is a drop-down list from which players can select Bonus Battlegrounds or Specific Battlegrounds; the former offers access to Random Battlegrounds and arena skirmishes, while the latter allows the player to queue for a specific battleground. At the bottom left and right of the pane are the "Join Battle" and "Join as Group" buttons. Players can enter a queue for the corresponding battle type by selecting the desired option and clicking one of these buttons. Note that the "Join as Group" button will enter the player's entire party into the queue, and is only usable when in an eligible group.
Choosing Bonus Battlegrounds splits the Honor pane into two windows: Battlegrounds and Arena Battles.
The Battlegrounds section features the Random Battlegrounds button (see that page for more information). Players can queue for up to two specific battlegrounds at a time, or a single Random Battleground.
At the top right of the Battlegrounds window are displayed the rewards currently offered to the player for completing either of these types of bonus battlegrounds. To the right of this is a 'dice' icon, which when clicked reveals a list of "included battlegrounds". Players can choose up to 2 battlegrounds to be "down-voted" or excluded from the list. Down-voted battlegrounds will not be selected for the player when using the Random Battleground option, allowing players to opt out of their least favourite battles. Currently down-voted battlegrounds are displayed in red on the Random Battleground option, next to a "thumbs-down" icon.
The Arena Battles section allows players to queue for skirmish arena battles, in 2v2 or 3v3 form.
Choosing Specific Battlegrounds transforms the Honor pane into a list of all battlegrounds available to your character. Each battleground's name is displayed followed by its size (eg. 10v10). Players can queue for specific battlegrounds by selecting the desired option and clicking the "Join Battle" or "Join as Group" buttons.
The Rated pane concerns itself with the two primary means of acquiring : rated arena and rated battlegrounds. At the top of the window is displayed a bar showing the conquest received by the player so far this week. Mousing over it will display the amount received this week through arena, rated battlegrounds and random battlegrounds, as well as the maximum amount of points the player is able to earn through each option this week (their "Conquest cap").
At the bottom of the pane is the "Join Battle" button, which can be used to enter a queue for the selected type of PvP, provided you are in a valid group.
The main body of the Conquest pane is split into two windows: Arena Battles and Rated Battlegrounds.
The Rated Battlegrounds section currently features only one option: 10v10 rated battleground. The option also displays the character's number of wins and current and best rating, and mousing over it will display other stats. Once in a valid group, players can select this option to queue for a rated battleground. The current rewards for winning a rated battleground are shown at the top right of the window.
The Arena Battles section features options for each type of arena match: 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. Each option displays the player's number of wins, and their best and current personal rating, for that size. Mousing over an option will display weekly and season stats for that size, along with a projected conquest point cap. Players in a group of the appropriate size can queue for an arena match by simply clicking the "Join Battle" button. At the top right of the window are displayed the current rewards for winning an arena match.
The War Games pane is split into two windows. The first is a list of all available venues, split into two drop-down lists: Battlegrounds and Arena. Each list can be opened or closed, and while open will display a list of venues very similar to that of the Specific Battlegrounds option. The Battlegrounds list shows each battleground's name followed by the normal/maximum size of the venue (eg. 40v40), beneath which is shown the minimum number of players required (eg. Minimum 10v10), and includes a Random Battleground option. The arena list is similar, showing all possible sizes (eg. 2v2, 3v3, 5v5) and the minimum number of players (eg. Minimum 2v2) for each arena, and includes an All Arenas option.
The lower window is a simple information display, featuring some basic information on using War Games.
At the bottom of the window, the "Start War Game" button can be used - only by a party leader, and only while targeting another party leader - to challenge the target to a War Game using the chosen map, as long as they part of a valid group.
- Main article: Premade Groups
The Premade Groups pane allows players to create groups for various activities. There are three main options: Arena Skirmishes, Battlegrounds and Custom.
Rated pane in Legion
Casual pane in Legion
Casual panel, patch 5.4.8
Rated panel, patch 5.4.8
War Games panel, patch 5.4.8
Specific battlegrounds, patch 5.4.8
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added Honor level meter and the number of honorable kills. Removed War Games.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): The Casual and Rated panels no longer display the current total of Honor Points and Conquest Points respectively. Added arena skirmish.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- The Player vs. Player interface has been merged into the new Group Finder.
- The Honor and Conquest tabs have been renamed Casual and Rated.
- Skirmishes have been added to the interface, and PvP zones removed.
- The cancelled Call to Arms battleground has been removed.
- A Premade Groups tab has been added.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): The PvP interface has been altered in line with the removal of arena teams. The Arena Teams tab has been removed, and the Conquest tab adjusted accordingly.
- Patch 5.3.0 (2013-05-21):
- The Player vs. Player interface now includes an optional role check to queue as for Battlegrounds.
- Down-voting a battleground no longer prevents players from queuing for it through the Call to Arms or Specific Battlegrounds options.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): The Player vs. Player interface has been completely redesigned. As a result, all individual battleground information has been removed.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Entry for Random Battleground has been moved to the top of the list.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): The PvP interface has been updated to support rated battlegrounds. It also allows creating an arena team without visiting an arena master.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): The Arena Teams pane has been improved.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.