|Power Word: Barrier|
Power Word: Barrier is a level 65 Discipline priest Power Word ability that summons a barrier to surround the target location, reducing all damage taken by friendly targets by 25% and preventing spellcasting from being interrupted by damage, for 10 seconds.
- Power Word: Barrier affects a target location; which players it affects depends upon whether they are within the barrier. This may make PW:B far more effective in situations where the players are fairly static, and/or grouped closely together.
- Power Word: Barrier absorbs only 25% of damage; the majority of damage taken (75%) will not be absorbed.
- Power Word: Barrier only lasts for 10 seconds; conversely, it can 'absorb' any amount of damage in that time without consuming itself.
- Power Word: Barrier is a damage reduction effect and not a true damage absorption effect; consequently it is not improved by the Discipline mastery .
Power Word: Barrier was originally planned for patch 3.1.0, but was scrapped because other revamps in the patch ended up more extensive than was planned. In the Cataclysm priest review in April 2010, it was mentioned as one of the planned Discipline talents for Cataclysm.
Class Change Highlights (Parts 1, 2 & 3) | 2009-02-11 03:30 | Eyonix
- Discipline has access to a new talent, Power Word: Barrier. (Think of it as Power Word: Shield for your whole group).
Re: GC! You promised us TWO ponys! where'r they? | 2009-03-06 05:00 | Ghostcrawler
We'd still like to do Barrier, but some of the revamps ended up more extensive than we planned. At this point we'd rather make what we have taste good instead of throwing new ingredients into the stew, but it's an idea we still like.
Cataclysm Class Preview: Priest | 2010-04-08 06:57 | Zarhym
New Talents and Talent Changes
- Discipline will finally be getting Power Word: Barrier as a talented ability. Think of it like a group Power Word: Shield.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Power Word: Barrier mana cost reduced by 37% and radius increased by 23%.
- Hotfix (2013-12-17): Resolved an issue that caused Power Word: Barrier's damage reduction effect to not apply properly to players under various conditions.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Cooldown has been increased to 3 minutes, up from 2, and its effect has been reduced to 25%, down from 30%.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Redesigned. It no longer acts as a shared absorb shield. Instead, all affected friendly targets take 30% reduced damage for the duration of the shield, which is now 10 seconds, down from 25 seconds. Consequently, this spell no longer benefits from the Discipline Mastery Shield Discipline.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.