Premade Groups is a feature that allows players to form groups for specific purposes, including both PvE and PvP. The feature can be accessed through the Group Finder, found via a button on the micro menu at the bottom of the user interface.
The Premade Groups option allows players to create groups for various activities. It can be accessed through either the Dungeons & Raids or the Player vs. Player tab of the Group Finder. Both versions are identical, except that only group types appropriate to the tab are able to be selected.
Opening the Premade Groups pane presents several main options, depending on the tab.
- Dungeons & Raids
- Questing, Dungeons, Scenarios, Raids (current or legacy) and Custom
- Player vs. Player
- Arena Skirmishes, Battlegrounds and Custom
Once a type has been selected, the player can click one of two buttons: Start a Group, and Find a Group.
Start a Group
To start a group, select one of the main options and click Start a Group. Regardless of which option is selected, the player will be taken to the same screen, where they can set various parameters for their group, including type (Questing, Dungeons, Battlegrounds, etc), title, details, minimum item level, and whether voice chat is required.
Once all details are input, the player can click List Group to add their group to the list for other players to find.
- The player cannot set a minimum item level that exceeds their own current item level.
Find a Group
Once an option is chosen, the Find a Group button will take the player to a list of groups which match the chosen type. The player can browse through the various groups suggested, or filter them through a text field at the top. If no groups are found, the player is prompted to start one themselves.
Forming a group
If the player finds a group they would like to join, they can click to request invitation. The group leader will receive notification of your request, and may choose to accept or decline it. For raid groups, both the raid leader and players identified as raid assistants share the ability to accept or decline applicants. If they choose to invite you, you will be added to the group.
The player/s forming the group are able to see a list of players invited so far, along with their combat roles, as well as a list of pending requests. Raid group leaders and assistants are also able to see the Proving Grounds medals of applicants.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): The Premade Groups option is now only available to characters that are at least level 50.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Dungeons from prior expansions will no longer appear when searching for Dungeon groups in the Premade Group Finder. For example, level 120 players will no longer see groups listed for Lower Blackrock Spire.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17):
- Groups can no longer be automatically created.
- The "Find Group" functionality for non-elite world quests has been removed.
- Text now can only be entered in manually.
- Hotfix (2014-10-15):
- Forming Premade Groups for questing should no longer result in the interface selecting a Warlords of Draenor zone by default.
- Resolved a number of interface issues when attempting to form a Premade Group for Random Pandaria Dungeons.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Added.