Harvester of Dominion
|Affiliation(s)||Court of Harvesters, Ember Court, Darkwing, Venthyr Covenant, Eternal Ones|
|Occupation||Leader of the venthyr, stoneborn, and Revendreth|
|Companion(s)||Vrednic (pet), Vorpalia (weapon)|
“The time of sires is over. Revendreth no longer serves a Master, but a Court.”
- — Prince Renathal
Prince Renathal is a venthyr who leads the rebellion from Sinfall in Revendreth against Sire Denathrius. Convinced that the Master is behind the anima drought, he rallied a formidable force to lead a rebellion to succeed Sire Denathrius and make the anima flow once more.
In contrast to his prideful father, Renathal is more humble and devoted to Revendreth's original mission. He also appears to enjoy taking chances on gambits that seemingly have very little chance to succeed. Despite his attacks on Castle Nathria and his attempts to unite the Court of Harvesters against Denathrius all initially ending in failure, he refuses to let the Venthyr and the Shadowlands go out without a fight. He describes the war against the Jailer as something that will inevitably end in failure, but claims that there is excitement to be had in battling the inevitable.
Prince Renathal personally refers to Denathrius as father. His blade Vorpalia is sentient like Denathrius's Remornia. He has a pet gargon named Vrednic. The dredger Breakfist was one of the last of Renathal's forces from his first rebellion left in Sinfall. His former home is Darkwall Tower.
Prince Renathal was the first venthyr crafted by the Denathrius's own hand in Sinfall. He was once a popular courtier within Denathrius’ Court and Harvester of Dominion and oversaw the Ember Ward. He has, however, considered conspiring against Denathrius in the past before the Harvesters knew of his treachery. After Denathrius exiled the nathrezim, the prince was never informed of what became of them. However, in time he would learn that mortals had come to know them as dreadlords.
At some point between the Maw Walker arriving in the Shadowlands and arriving in Revendreth, word of their presence reached Renathal, as well as his sword Vorpalia. Renathal recognized the Maw Walker as one of Azeroth's champions.
Believing that Denathrius was not acting in Revendreth's best interests, Renathal led a rebellion against him. Many Venthyr supported him, including two other members of the Court of Harvesters (The Accuser and The Curator), various nobles such as Duke Theotar, as well as stoneborn forces formerly of the Stone Legion led by General Draven. However, Renathal had relied on the to help him, and this caused Denathrius to know everything Renathal had planned. Renathal was captured and flung by Denathrius into the Maw from Sinfall along with The Curator, and most of his allies were banished into the Ember Ward.
When the Maw Walker arrives in Revendreth, the area is in the midst of the rebellion that Renathal started against Denathrius. Both Denathrius and Renathal's forces had hoped for the Maw Walker to ally themself with them. Thanks to the interventions of The Accuser, the Maw Walker learns of the truth, defeating The Fearstalker, obtaining the , and rescuing Prince Renathal from the Maw.
Immediately Prince Renathal orders the Castle sealed through the use of the mirrors that had previously barred entry into Sinfall to focus the Light onto the front gate of the Castle. He then proceeds to inform the Eternal Ones that Denathrius has betrayed the Shadowlands. With his freedom and old and new allies, he attempts to confront Denathrius once again. While he fails to defeat Denathrius, it does force his hand, hemorrhaging the anima stores of Castle Nathria through the Sanguine Depths under the Menagerie of the Master.
Under his leadership, the Medallions begin to be gathered in Sinfall and a plan is formed. The Countess gives the willingly, The Curator retrieves the after regaining control of the Catacombs Ward,, and the is regained from the Lord Chamberlain.
With four of the Medallions gathered he leads the asssault on Castle Nathria with his forces, the Maw Walker, and others. Denathrius is defeated but Remornia, in a final attempt to save her master, consumes Denathrius' essence into the blade and tries to escape to the Maw for him to be restored by the Jailer. Renathal traps Remornia and takes the blade holding the Master to Dawnkeep, where the naaru Z'rali has been granted authority as it is both closest to the Light and at a distance from any venthyr, and gives her the task of remediating Denathrius for eons, until he repents.
A vessel to contain the power of all seven Medallions of the Harvesters is created: the . The Crown of the Harvesters is obtained with the help of Forgelite Prime Mikanikos, combining kyrian ore and anima from both ascended kyrians of the Temple of Purity and Duke Theotar. The Crown is then purified at the Temple of Loyalty of Denathrius's control and influence after he attempted to take over the Maw Walker due to the nature of the power of the Medallions empowering the Crown.
To consolidate his power over Revendreth, and with the help of his trusted contact Baroness Draka of the Necrolord Covenant after Kael'thas Sunstrider discovers a conspiracy between the House of Rituals and The Tithelord, the Tithelord is defeated and the taken, and it is revealed that Kel'Thuzad had been given his Medallion. Once again working with the Necrolords, the is retrieved by General Draven from Kel'Thuzad. As he places the Medallion of Dominion in the centerpiece of Sinfall, Denathrius whispers to Renathal through the Medallion. The Accuser reminds Renathal of who Denathrius has become because of his lust for power. Renathal agrees and states that the Court of Harvesters will rule Revendreth in unity, sharing in power.
Chains of Domination
After receiving word from the Primus that the Nathrezim had returned, Renathal was surprised as he had not dared image they would grow so bold again. He also viewed it as a shame that they had not learned in their exile and returned to them as enemies, instead of family. Agreeing that the Primus was right, Renathal led a routine to seek out the the Stonewright as her grievances against the Unseen could fill a library and she held the last of the medallions that they needed. As the meeting between Renathal and Stonewright commenced, Renathal was stunned when the Stonewright revealed that Chelra had been beheaded after Denathrius had casted him into the Maw, and thus revealed that the Chelra with them was in reality the dreadlord Nal'ragas. After being exposed Nal'ragas was able to seize the and flee from the venthyr. As the Maw Walker, Lady Vashj, and Kael'thas Sunstrider hunted down and kill Nal'ragas, he learned from the Stonewright how Chelra fell to the master when he was a prisoner of the Maw. After being informed of Nal'ragas' death, he reflected on how Chelra was his friend and protector through countless ages, how he didn't even know she had been slain, her identity stolen, and he ultimately declared it as another sin for Denathrius to atone for.
Upon learning from the Maw Walker that the Medallion of Wrath had been given to Mal'Ganis, Renathal revealed that they could use the other medallions they had recovered to locate him. He then instructed the Maw Walker and their dreadlord hunting party to join him in returning to Sinfall. After returning to Sinfall he remarked that while the nathrezim were not crafted from souls, they were in many ways more his siblings than his fellow venthyr, and viewed it a shame on what they chose to become. As the Court of Harvesters prepared their detection rituals, Renathal directed the dreadlord hunting party with to route out Nal'ragas' cohorts, while the Stonewright had them reveal their secret communications. With the ritual preparations complete, Renathal warned that the nathrezim specialized in avoiding detection and called upon them to follow the path as soon as it was revealed and to follow it with speed.
As Mal'ganis and his cohorts were confronted by the Maw Walker and his allies, Renathal wearing the arrived on the scene. He offered the Mal'ganis the chance to cease the conflict, join them in saving Revendreth, and ending his exile. However the dreadlord retorted that the nathrezim were never in exile, how it was all part of the Master's plan, and that with them focused on him and the medallion to left the way open for Kin'tessa to liberate Remornia. Though Denathrius had been liberated, Mal'Ganis was captured by the Court of Harvesters, and in the aftermath Renathal admitted that he couldn't have imaged the depth of their betrayal not only of Revendreth, but of the Shadowlands and all of reality. When asked about him wearing the Crown of the Harvesters, the Prince revealed that he had placed safeguards within the crown to ensure that one person couldn't wear the crown by themselves and how the other harvesters could reclaim their power. Renathal then remarked that the Court of Harvesters, must fortify what they have taken, secure their anima reserves, and rally the support of Revendreth to their cause. He also admitted that it would take time to formally induct new Harvesters of Envy and Dread, with Renathal admitting that if Kael'thas was farther along in his penance he would be considered. He lastly declared that the Shadowlands can never truly be whole until the Arbiter resumes sending souls to the afterlives.
With all the medallions in their possession, Renathal and the other Harvesters forged a new Sigil, which the Stonewright later delivered the sigil to the Primus along with the unity and purpose of Revendreth.
- Regal Blast — Blasts the enemy with Shadow energy, inflicting Shadow damage.
- Revendreth will return to its true purpose.
- During the Ember Court scenario, during "Last Minute Preparations"
- I cannot wait to meet all of the guests. This will undoubtedly be the best Ember Court yet!
- During the Ember Court scenario, during "Tribute"
- I do not relish requesting tribute, but am honored to receive it.
- If used wisely, it may allow us to avoid the most horrible among the possible fates that lie before us.
- During the Ember Court scenario, during "The After Party"
- Relax, <name>, and help yourself to any of the leftover refreshments.
- After such a fine court, you have earned a rest and reward.
- This is where Denathrius sired his first Court of Harvesters, ages upon ages ago. Here he forged the medallions so that we each may share a piece of his power and carry out his will.
- There was symmetry to him exiling me to the Maw in this place. He believed he was ending me where he created me.
- Now we shall use this place to turn the tide against the Master of Revendreth and undo his very grip upon this realm he created.
- Darkwall Tower, during the Venthyr Campaign - The Court of Harvesters
- There was a time when I hosted such wonderful gatherings at this tower. Even the Master could be seen, smiling, enjoying his time. He was beautiful to behold then, the true sire of the venthyr.
- I wonder how long he had been plotting with the Jailer. If even then his smile was a guise hiding his loathing for all of reality.
- Sinfall, after competing the Venthyr Campaign up until the "Envy" Chapter
- You will not face Maldraxxus alone, <name>. The full weight of Sinfall's army stands at your back.
- The Observatorium of Castle Nathria after defeating Sire Denathrius
- You and your cohort of allies have my eternal appreciation for your endeavors, Maw Walker.
- Dawnkeep, after completing
- It will take time. Time the likes of which your kind have yet to measure.
- But in that time, I see my oldest friend, my closest confidant, and my greatest Master stepping forth from this pinnacle of lecture, his true purpose once again affirmed.
- Dawnkeep after
- I had hoped our brethren had returned to us for the right reasons.
- I never could have imagined the depth of their betrayal not only of Revendreth, but of the Shadowlands and all of reality.
- You put the crown on?
- For a time
- When we combined the power of the medallions into the crown I wove safeguards to ensure no one person would wear the crown alone by themselves for too long.
- And should the other Harvesters will it, medallions or no, they could reclaim their power from the crown with ancient words they are entrusted with.
- What we have forged together will only remain strong as long as we continue to work together.
- What is next for the Court of Harvesters?
- Must to do with little time. For now we shall fortify what we have taken.
- This may include everything from instilling safeguards against future infiltration by nathrezim to instituting realm-wide edicts regarding anima usage. We must rally support across all of Revendreth for this cause.
- For now, continue to wage your war against the Jailer. We will levy what resources we can for that effort.
- Will there be new Harvesters of Envy and Dread?
- Undoubtedly, though it will take time and the right... candidates.
- I believe that is the correct word. We have never formally inducted a new Harvester. They were always appointed by Denathrius, the individual often groomed for decades before assuming the role.
- We shall begin our search of souls and venthyr who have the adequate skill sets and acumen. Those who share our values and have the power to back it up. There are many I can think of who might suffice.
- Take young Kael'thas, for instance. Were he further along in his penance, I might consider him...
- The Ember Court
- I may not enjoy attending courts as well as Theotar, or be as eager to organize them as Temel.
- But I am confident in my own abilities. I have been fervently winning over allies since the dawn of this realm.
- The Ember Court will be a powerful tool in increasing the renown and influence of our covenant.
- I am pleased to have you by my side in this next great endeavor.
- Ah! Our potential savior of the Shadowlands has arrived.
- Come closer, my new friend.
- Darkest greetings, Maw Walker.
- Hello, Maw Walker!
- And what can this humble fallen prince do for you today?
- Welcome, my fellow doomed friend.
- Come forth, catalyst of change!
- I look upon you and dare to feel... hope.
- We are doomed. Ah, but not without a fight.
- We face the unending, undefeatable, undefiable darkness... together.
- There is a simplicity in inevitability.
- You and me against the end of reality... We might need some help.
- There is no possibility of victory. Oh, is that not exciting?
- The drought, the lack of souls, the Jailer... all connected.
- I miss the good old days. Oh, when we were just trying to destroy each other for power.
- The Master hoarded anima, lied, threw me into the Maw!... All of that I respect, but setting the Jailer free? Oh, <tsk tsk> too far.
Notes and trivia
- During , his generic name is Venthyr Harvester.
- Renathal is voiced by Jason Marnocha.
- Renathal appears as a legendary minion in the Murder at Castle Nathria expansion for Hearthstone. He is given out for free to all players who open a card pack from the set. His flavor text reads: A lot of kids go through a rebellious phase, but Prince Renathal's was a bit extreme.
- The fact that he is a vampiric prince with a magic sword and white hair trying to defeat his Dracula-inspired father may be inspired by Alucard from the Castlevania franchise.
While the venthyr of the Shrouded Asylum are hostile to the stoneborn forces of Denathrius and as venthyr of the Ember Ward they were originally under the jurisdiction of Prince Renathal, they are also hostile to the player and Renathal's forces. Given Renathal's home was Darkwall Tower in the Castle Ward, it is possible he betrayed or abandoned them in some capacity, perhaps when the Light invaded.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.
- ^ General Draven during
- ^ The Tithelord during
- ^ Fallen Prince's Welcome
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2020-04-22. Shadowlands Preview: Revendreth and the Venthyr Covenant. Retrieved on 2020-04-23.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond, pg. 96
- ^ Prince Renathal says: Denathrius never told me what became of the nathrezim. Only later did I learn that mortal souls had come to know them by another name: the dreadlords.
- ^ Renathal's Notes
- ^ confirms that this questline takes place after Denathrius's defeat
- ^ "Revendreth Sinfall Covenenant Capper IGC - Shadowlands" (End of 9.0 Venthyr Campaign cinematic), from Wowhead's youtube channel
- ^ Tweet by Jason Marnocha
|Prince Renathal||Generic name|