World of Warcraft: Public Test Realm
|Platforms||Microsoft Windows, macOS|
2.5.4 (BC Classic)
1.14.3 (Classic Era)
A Public Test Realm (or PTR, test server, and test realm) is a special server where upcoming features are tested for the next upcoming patch. There are separate PTR servers for each flavor, and each has one or more realms.
You can make a character on the test realm from a copy of one of your characters on a normal realm or from a premade. Whether there will be premade or not will be clearly announced. Players on test realms should not be surprised by character wipes, item wipes, or frequent downtime to make changes or apply patches, so don't get too attached to your character on these servers.
For a guide to getting on the test realm, see Getting on the Test Realm.
Blizzard uses the PTR for most of their games:
- World of Warcraft
- World of Warcraft: Classic
- World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade Classic
- Warcraft III
- Diablo III
- Diablo II: Resurrected
- StarCraft II, although not used as much
- Heroes of the Storm
- In Heroes of the Storm, any purchases made would still be accessible but the level and other progresses is separate and may be reset periodically.
- For Overwatch, it is called Public Test Region.
- There was also a Tournament Test Realm (TTR) to prepare for the Arena Competition.
Banner from the original website, sometime around patch 3.3.0
- Test realm FAQ
- Latest official Test realm patch notes
- Chinese-Taiwan (TW) N/A
- Chinese-Mainland (CN) N/A
- Test realm character copy page