PvP Brawls are a Player vs. Player mode that is available every other week and offers a variety of modes, rules, and scenic changes to the usual battleground gameplay. Most, but not all, Brawls consist of tweaks to existing battlegrounds or arenas. When a Brawl is available, it can be queued for through the Player vs. Player interface. Entering a Brawl will prompt , which can be completed once per event.
The goal of Brawls is to add variation to the battleground experience, and also allows Blizzard to experiment with new ideas for rulesets, match types, and game types. The most successful Brawls could potentially become permanent fixtures in the PvP landscape in the future.
List of Brawls
|Arathi Blizzard||Arathi Basin||Resource race||Put away your bathing suit, pull out your parka, and enter a winter wonderland as the Arathi Basin you know and love gets a fresh coat of ice and snow. You'll be racing your way between the farm, stables, mine, lumberyard, and blacksmith through piles of snow and over a - mostly - frozen lake. One more thing: the weather forecast calls for a bit of fog of war. We hope you're prepared for the weather.|
|Classic Ashran||Ashran||Warfare||Classic Ashran is an open-ended tug-of-war battleground with special events around the zone, including quests and events.|
|Comp Stomp||Arathi Basin||Resource race||Jump into Arathi Basin for a head-to-head for battle against AI opponents in this classic battle.|
|Cooking Impossible||Valley of the Four Winds||Resource race||Nomi is hosting a Pandaren Chili Cookoff in the Valley of the Four Winds between the Alliance and the Horde! The first to bring Nomi all of the required ingredients wins.|
|Deep Six||Silvershard Mines,
Temple of Kotmogu,
|Resource race||Deep Six pits teams of six players against each other in three iconic Battlegrounds: Warsong Gulch, Silvershard Mines, and Temple of Kotmogu. Each Battleground offers a little variation on the traditional format, such as flags that are a bit closer in Warsong Gulch, less carts to keep track of in Silvershard Mines, and only two orbs within the Temple of Kotmogu.|
|Deepwind Dunk||Deepwind Gorge||Resource race||Can you even dunk? If you want to win this brawl, you’re going to need to work on your skills because Dunkball has come to Pandaria. You’ll race to claim balls from the map’s center, or northern, or southern mines, take them to your enemy’s base, and then go for a magnificent long range shot or go all in for the dunk.|
|Gravity Lapse||Eye of the Storm||Resource race||Gravity getting you down? Step into the Eye of the Storm and be prepared for a whole new en-lighten-ing experience. Every minute, players on the battlefield will find themselves launched into the air, only to gently fall toward the ground again in a perpetual aerial ballet as they try to accrue enough resources to take the win home for their team.|
|Packed House||Random arena||Warfare||We’ve put more PvP in your PvP! In Packed House, there’s nowhere to hide as you face not 2, not 3, not 5, but 15 adversaries in this 15 vs. 15 Arena battle.|
|Shado-Pan Showdown||Tiger's Peak||Step into Tiger’s Peak Arena and get ready for the Shadow-Pan Showdown. You’ll race for control of a center control point to activate one of two bosses. The first to kill the other team’s boss wins!|
|Tarren Mill vs. Southshore||Hillsbrad Foothills||Warfare||Originally introduced as a part of the World of Warcraft 10-Year Anniversary event, this Brawl harkens back to the early days of WoW PvP, with an epic battle between the two towns of Tarren Mill and Southshore. In this game of war, you’ll need to work as a team and deplete your foes’ resources to claim victory.|
|Temple of Hotmogu||Temple of Kotmogu||Enter the Temple of Kotmogu for this fast-paced match. For a whole new twist, players will be able throw the Orb of Power to friendly players in a game of hot potato. Beware, they’ll also gain the debuffs along with the orb so choose wisely. We’re turning things up (to 11) by changing resurrection time to a quick 5 seconds. Who will be able to hold on to the power to claim victory?|
|Warsong Scramble||Warsong Gulch||Capture the Flag||Do you have a flag? Warsong Gulch has always been the scene of an epic capture-the-flag battle, but what happens when you can capture your enemy’s flag without your own at base? Or if there are multiple flags at each base? Find out when you step into this PvP Brawl! We’ve also added a few more power-ups to the field of battle to stir things up a bit. To win, your team will need to be the first to capture 10 flags.|
The following Brawls were mentioned in official announcements but were never made available in-game.
- Eye of the Horn — A tweaked version of Eye of the Storm where all players would be permanently mounted on rams and could send enemies flying with headbutts, similar to the world quest in Stormheim. Mentioned during the initial announcement of PvP Brawls at BlizzCon 2016 but never made it to the live game.
- Teeming Islands — A tweaked version of PvP Island Expeditions in which the total amount of players would be increased from 6 to 20 on the biggest islands (Havenswood and Jorundall). Announced as a new addition in patch 8.3.0, this Brawl was scheduled to become available for the first time in early 2020. However, in a hotfix on February 14, it was replaced in the schedule by Temple of Hotmogu and it has not been mentioned since.
Notes and trivia
- PvP Brawls are inspired by similar game modes in other Blizzard games: Tavern Brawls in Hearthstone, Weekly Brawls in Overwatch (later replaced by the Arcade), and Heroes Brawls in Heroes of the Storm.
- Patch 8.1.5 (2019-03-12): Comp Stomp added.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Cooking Impossible added.
- Patch 7.2.0 (2017-03-28): Added.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k Blizzard Entertainment. Patch 7.2 Preview: Shake Up the Battlegrounds with PvP Brawls!. Retrieved on 2020-01-22.
- ^ a b c Medievaldragon 2016-11-10. BlizzCon 2016 World of Warcraft: What's Next Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet. Retrieved on 2020-01-22.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2018-01-02. Inside Azeroth: January 2018. Retrieved on 2020-01-22.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2017-09-30. This Month in WoW®: October 2017. Retrieved on 2020-01-22.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2016-11-04. World of Warcraft: Legion – What’s Next Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2020-01-22.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2020-01-09. Visions of N’Zoth Content Update Notes. Retrieved on 2020-01-22.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment 2020-01-20. Battle for Azeroth, Season 4—Now Live!. Retrieved on 2021-03-07.
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Hotfixes: February 14, 2020. Retrieved on 2021-03-07. “The upcoming Teeming Islands Brawl has been replaced with Temple of Hotmogu.”