|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
Introduced to Azeroth by the Highborne, Reforging (also called thaumaturgy) allowed undesired stats on gear to be exchanged for more useful stats. It allowed 40% of a single secondary stat (such as critical strike, dodge, haste, hit or parry rating) or spirit to be exchanged for another secondary stat or spirit. Reforging was handled by NPCs known as Arcane Reforgers located in the major cities. The cost of reforging an item was equal to its sale value. Restoring an item to its original state was free. Stats could only be exchanged for other stats which are not already on the gear. Earlier in Cataclysm's development, reforging was planned to be an ability of Jewelcrafters, Engineers, Tailors, Blacksmiths and Leatherworkers, who would have been able to create items similar to enchantment scrolls which other characters could use to reforge their gear.
It has been stated that Reforging was not intended to be used routinely on all items, like Enchanting, but to allow more classes to conceivably roll on potential upgrades, rather than being forced to .
Locations of Reforgers
- Main article: Arcane reforger
- Thaumaturge Vashreen – Stormwind City
- Thaumaturge Zajir – Orgrimmar
- Thaumaturge Faraket – Shrine of Seven Stars
- Thaumaturge Anjool – Shrine of Two Moons
- Mystic Quillstar – Proving Grounds
- Mystic Birdhat – on the Grand Expedition Yak
The four primary stats—Agility, Intellect, Stamina, and Strength—were not able to be reforged. Additionally, attack power, spell power, resilience, weapon speed or damage and armor could not be modified with reforging.
The following secondary stats could have been reforged to another secondary stat that was not already on the piece of equipment:
- Before Patch 4.0.1, caps on statistics like the hit rating cap and spell haste cap were very important to itemization decisions as people decided what to keep and how to enhance it. Reforging, however, made that much easier; the best-in-slot item for any class and spec would very often be the available item with the highest item level, and any undesirable stat could be reforged to a more preferred one.
- The problem of finding the best possible reforge of any given set of gear is an NP-complete problem.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- The Reforging system and associated NPCs have been removed from the game.
- All existing items that were reforged have been returned to their original un-reforged state.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Previous vendors retired, new ones added near Void Storage and Transmogrification vendors. Interface has been revamped.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.