|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4 but is present in World of Warcraft: Classic.
- For the Legion item type, see Artifact Relic.
Relic refers to a type of equipment worn in the relic equipment slot by death knights, druids, paladins and shamans. Relics give a significant bonus to a specific spell or ability, either as a passive equip or chance to proc effect (similar to trinkets of the same nature). Relics were added in Patch 1.10.0, replacing the previously vacant ranged weapon slot for these classes.
There were originally four different types of relics, each specific to a class:
- Idols used by Druids.
- Librams used by Paladins.
- Totems used by Shamans.
- Sigils used by Death knights.
As relics were added late into World of Warcraft, the amount of relics and their sources are limited, especially for non-healing roles. Relics were made available in Classic with the release of phase 5.
- Dungeons: Blackrock Depths, Blackrock Spire, Dire Maul, Scholomance, Stratholme.
- Raids: Naxxramas, Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.
- World: Each class has one relic as a world drop from Level 58 - 63 elite mobs. These specific relics are bind on equip and can be found on the auction house. Most notably, these specific Libram and Totem relics can drop for both factions.
In Cataclysm the relic system was simplified. Instead of four different types of relics, each one only usable by one class, all relics became usable by any class capable of using a relic. Previously existing relics were stripped of their unique equip effects, and were re-itemized to provide stats similar to a ranged weapon (primary and secondary stats). To compensate for the lack of weapon damage, each relic received a prismatic gem socket.
While legacy relic items still contained the words Idol, Libram, Totem, or Sigil in their names, they were not sub-categorized or restricted by those names.
Mists of Pandaria
- Prior to the introduction of relics, many druids, paladins, and shamans would often keep the quest item equipped, as this was the only item that could be equipped in the ranged slot for those classes.
- This was also frequent during Classic prior to phase 5, as relics were not available until then.
- During The Burning Crusade, Warlocks could equip spellstones and firestones in the same way (though in the ranged weapon slot as they can use wands).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): The relic slot have been removed, and relics are no longer obtainable. All existing relics are now poor quality items and can no longer be equipped.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Relics are no longer restricted by class, and can be equipped by all characters capable of using relics. Relics no longer have unique equip effects and have been re-itemized to reflect this change.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Sigils added. Totem relics now count as all four shaman totems for the purpose of summoning totems.
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): Added.
- Patch 1.13.5 (2020-07-07): Several relics are now available.