- The warrior's wounds closed as quickly as they appeared
Renew is a level 12 Holy priest Heal over Time (HoT) spell. It places a buff on the friendly target, healing them for a reasonable amount over 15 seconds. Multiple priests can place Renew on a single target, and a single priest can place Renew on multiple targets.
- The Tier 5 four piece set bonus (level 70) increases the spell's duration by 3 seconds.
Initially, the healing from Renew ticks every 3 seconds, but haste will shorten the gap between haste ticks. By hitting 12.5% haste, Renew will gain a 5th tick over its uptime. Crossing this threshold will dramatically increase the healing done by Renew, and is often referred to the "renew haste softcap". By hitting 37.5% haste, a 6th tick will be added. It is possible to obtain extra ticks for every 25% of additional haste from that point on, but largely only via stacking multiple temporary haste buffs. Renew's speed, output and efficiency are increased by 25% for each tick added, allowing high-haste periods to transform the spell from a slow and often inefficient heal to a potent and extremely efficient spammable HoT. Renew cannot tick faster than every 1 sec.
Ticks from Renew can crit. The crit for each tick is calculated individually based on the crit levels of the priest at the time the spell was cast.
Renew is generally one of the most efficient healing options, and has the bonus of being instant cast. Its main down-side is its slow and relatively insubstantial healing. Using Renew pre-emptively or on non-critical targets is a good way to make the most of its efficient healing, as well as insuring them (in a small way) against incoming damage. However, Renew's efficiency and desirability is significantly determined by the priest's haste.
Renew has advantages besides its efficiency. As an instant heal it can be useful in PvP when interrupts would prevent a cast-time heal. It can be cast while running and can be placed on multiple targets very quickly. As an HoT it is also a useful way of insuring against silence effects and stuns. Renew can be used whenever incoming damage is slow enough to allow for its use, saving mana otherwise spent on more expensive heals. On the downside, as a magical buff, Renew has the disadvantage of being dispellable.
The concept of putting Renew up on as many targets as possible is known as "renew blanketing", which is a very potent form of healing, but also very tough on the manapool.
Renew in Hearthstone.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): No longer instantly heals, healing over time increased by 33%.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Overall healing increased by 15%.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Healing changed to 20% Spell Power instantly, 100% Spell Power over time, Mana Cost reduced to 1.8% Mana.
- Hotfix (2017-06-13): Renew's periodic healing has been increased by 100% in PvP situations.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25):
- Healing increased to 62% of spell power (was 55%).
- Now learned at level 12 (was 10).
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Duration increased from 12 seconds to 15, healing per tick increased by 25%. Now also instantly heals when applied.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now only available to Holy priests.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Amount of healing done reduced by 20%. However, the re-introduction of means that for Discipline and Holy priests, there is no decrease to the amount of healing done.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Mana cost reduced by 24%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Duration reduced, spell power coefficient reduced, manacost increased and base healing value massively reduced.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Mana cost increased.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): Renew is now an instant cast spell.