- Not to be confused with void revenant.
|Faction/Affiliation||Black Empire (formerly), Elemental Lords|
|Racial capital||Elemental Plane (presumed)|
|Language(s)||Kalimag, Auran, Ignan, Terran, Aquan|
Revenants are armored elemental creatures. They look similar to floating suits of crude armor. They also wield large maces and carry giant shields. The most notable revenant was the Guardian, protector of Frostmourne. Some are soldiers of the Old Gods in the Elemental Plane.
In World of Warcraft
Note that there are more types, but there are only four models. Classifications such as all blue earth revenants being ice or frost (and which is which) is partly speculation. Death revenants seem to be clearly separate, despite using the model of air revenants.
In Warcraft III
They are hateful undead creatures who are outside the domain of Ner'zhul's control. Bonded to base elemental spirits, these phantom creatures live only to rage and use their powers for destruction. They have the ability to cast elemental magics according to their type. Although undead, Revenants have no affiliation with the Scourge as they have some sort of innate immunity to Ner'zhul's psychic control over undead. They remain neutral in the conflict between the Horde and Alliance.
- Elemental revenants
- Revenant of the Tides
- Revenant of the Seas
- Revenant of the Depths
- Deeplord Revenant
- Revenant of Burning Souls
In the RPG
Revenants are minor elemental creatures who once served as foot soldiers for the malefic Old Gods when the world was young. When the titans defeated the Old Gods and chained them beneath the cold earth, the wicked revenants and their greater elemental cousins were banished to the Elemental Plane. Locked away from the world they once ruled, the fire of the elementals' hatred for the titans and their creations burned with increasing intensity. As the millennia passed, reckless mortal wizards began to summon elementals back into the physical world. Free at last, many revenants struck out against the mortals that had summoned them and set out to forge their own destiny among their native elements in the world. These evil beings exist only to inflict strife and sow elemental chaos. Though they have limited intelligence, their sheer hatred and will to destroy make them fearful opponents when encountered in the wilds of the world. Many still live on the Elemental Plane.
Note that the RPG appears to attempt to reconcile their naming/element scheme in Warcraft III with the current system of four (and only four) distinct elemental factions:
- Death revenant (Earth)
- Fire revenant (Fire)
- Frost revenant (Air, Cold)
- Ice revenant (Cold, Water)
- Lightning revenant (Air)
- The Warcraft III revenant model was originally intended to be for the death knight hero unit.
- One of the two types of Drust constructs is based on the revenant model. It is also similar to revenants in nature, being composed of a spirit within a crude shell composed of a basic material (stone, in this case). The biggest difference is Drust constructs contain a captured soul, while the revenants are elemental spirits.
- Restored Revenant is a wicker construct, described as constructs of death in which souls are trapped and stripped of memory and any semblance of self, their bodies constructed from pieces that can no longer decompose, they never tire and will hunt their prey for all eternity.
The "Death Knight" model that would be given to revenants.
- ^ Adventure Guide entry for Ichoron
- ^ Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Game Manual, pg. 84
- ^ Manual of Monsters, pg. 84
- ^ Manual of Monsters, pg. 85
- ^ a b Manual of Monsters, pg. 86
- ^ Manual of Monsters, pg. 87
- ^ Manual of Monsters, pg. 88
- ^ WarcraftIII.net - Gone
- ^ https://www.wowhead.com/spell=273854/restored-revenant