Step by step
This set of instructions just contains the highlights of what needs to be done but doesn't explain the puzzle or the solution.
- The riddle starts by talking to Amara Lunastar at the House of Edune in Ashenvale.
- Travel to the house of Donni Anthania in Elwynn Forest and interact with the Empty Dish.
- Travel to the Return to Karazhan and place meat on the Opera Hall floor in a set pattern.
- Pet the cat
- I have been gone from here too long. I do hope someone is watching after my cat.
- I will keep an eye out for it.
Return to Karazhan
Enter the Return to Karazhan dungeon (the side door, not the front door, which leads to the raid). Head down to the Opera Hall and clear all of the trash between the Opera Hall, Moroes, and the Maiden of Virtue.
Once the bosses and trash are clear, look for eight pieces of meat hidden in the dungeon.
The meats all have a five-minute despawn timer, so move quickly.
Once the eight have been gathered, place them in the Opera Hall audience area using the following pattern, noting that the stage is down (west) and the top of the image is to the east:
|West (to stage)|
Pet the cat
If some food has despawned or items wound up in the wrong locations, the food will respawn five minutes after it was originally picked up at its original location. No need to reset the instance, just pick up more food.
Hints and clarifications
In contrast to previous puzzles, due to to the slow pace of the solve, Amara provided some hints:
- January 8
- Four Kibbles bounce in time, Four Kibbles count the time
- March 24
- kibbles of 4, sets the time, of a 4/4 beat, and defines the lines
- May 16
- Only one thing gets a kitty into the right mood, when you open up a can of just the right food
- June 24
- finally you'll just need to set the tune, to find the pattern take a top-down zoom
- September 12
- Two piles of treats
- Set the 4/4 beat
- The rest of the stanza
- Is lined up neat
- Upon the tiles
- You place your notes
- Eight morsels make the music
- That our musician wrote
Some unofficial clarifications were also variously documented:
- The secret is working as intended and can be soloed.
- Not time gated/rep gated or requires anything with a low drop %.
- No pets or toys required.
- This secret is colour-blind and hard of hearing friendly.
- You need to be at or above level 110 (pre-Shadowlands) / 45 (post-Shadowlands), since you are required to go into Return to Karazhan.
- Doesn't require a previous secret.
- The purpose of the kibble in Donni Anthania's house was to lead you to Karazhan.
- Donni Anthania, her kittens and her house do not have anything to do with the solution of the current step.
- Sound/Music volume is not required for the solution, but should be kept on as its part of the reward
The dish and the kibble
An Empty Dish can be found in the house of Donni Anthania in Elwynn Forest. Beside it, a few bits of kibble can be seen on the floor. Two sets of four pieces of kibble can also be found near the Opera event in the Return to Karazhan.
- Sebastian has a new line when spoken to: "Music is truly the key to happiness."
- Shortly after the fifth hint was posted on September 12, "Paul" posted a Google doc with a solution on September 13
- The riddle was created as part of a Make-a-Wish visit to Blizzard in August 2019 for Amara Lunastar and her Fibro Liver Cancer Research fund
- Patch 8.2.5 (2019-09-24): Added.