The rocs of the latter category differ vastly from those in the old world. Whereas the rocs of Kalimdor and Northrend mostly resemble eagles or vultures, the Broken Isle rocs are enormous, dread raven-like birds, created when harpies use their foul magics to corrupt the noble giant eagles of the Skyhorn tribe. Bloodbeak is a roc found among the harpies on Exile's Reach.
- Carrion birds
- Greater Rocs are found in Feralas.
- Fire Rocs and Searing Rocs are found in Tanaris. They are capable of throwing fireballs and appear with fire around them. According to Driz Plunkbow, the fire rocs are extremely valuable due to their unique anatomy, and alchemists will pay expensively for their body parts (even though Driz may occasionally claim the rocs' innards to be dragon parts).
- Birds of prey
- Goretalon Rocs are found in Sholazar Basin. They are led by the Goretalon Matriarch.
- Hyjal Rocs are found in Mount Hyjal.
- Broken Isles
As a hunter pet
Rocs can be either birds of prey or carrion birds. To see which group the roc belongs to, check the model. If it uses the eagle or giant roc model, it is a bird of prey. Otherwise, it's a carrion bird.
Notes and trivia
- Windrocs are kaliri-like birds native to Nagrand, but it's unknown if they are a subspecies of roc or their own species, since rocs generally use a different model.
- Deathrocs in Maldraxxus are stitched constructs.
- Feralfen Druids can assume a roc form.
- Elerethe Renferal transforms into a "Nightmare roc" form during her encounter in the Emerald Nightmare raid.
- The roc or rukh is a gargantuan legendary bird in Middle Eastern and Indian mythology, said to be able to carry off and eat entire elephants. The roc is also the inspiration for the name of the arakkoan sun goddess Rukhmar.
- Rocs in the Broken Isles use the same animations as dread ravens and skyscreamers.
- A talon belonging to an ancient roc species found off of the southern coasts of Stranglethorn is exhibited in the Ironforge museum. It is believed to be that of an sun roc, a creature that featured prominently in primitive tauren mythological cycles.