- For the monk ability, see . For the Pet Battle ability, see .
To roll is to generate a random number, normally between 1 and 100. When members of a group have equal claims to something—such as a piece of loot, a chest, or a resource node—they will roll for it; the player who rolls the highest number is the winner. Players can roll manually by typing
/roll, which generates a random number and displays it in a system message that group members and nearby players can see. Manual rolls are commonly used in raids where a master looter distributes loot. When the Need Before Greed or Group Loot systems are used, the game automatically rolls on behalf of players.
Players can roll a random number using the following slash command:
- /roll, /rand, /random, /rnd [X] [Y]
- Rolls a random number between X and Y, inclusive. If Y is not specified, it rolls a random number between 1 and X. If no number is specified, it rolls a number between 1 and 100. This number is then displayed to everyone in the same party or raid group as yourself and to everybody within /say range.
/rollreturns a number between 1 and 100.
/rand 50 100returns a number between 50 and 100.
/random 20returns a number between 1 and 20.
/roll 1337-1337returns the number 1337.
Note that the system message displays the lower and upper bounds of your roll. Thus you can't just type
/roll 100-100 to guarantee a win, as it will be obvious to other party members that you've attempted to rig your roll.
Players can also use the following items to roll for them:
- displays a descriptive emote followed by a standard
- displays a descriptive emote followed by
/roll 6done twice.
- flips a coin that lands either heads or tails (essentially a binary roll).
When the looting is set to Need Before Greed or Group Loot, the game automatically rolls for players if they select Need or Greed. When all rolls are in, the game will display the generated numbers in the chat window and automatically distribute the loot to the winner.
- Varian: "Hey, I see a chest!"
- Bolvar: "Okay, let's roll for it."
- Anduin: /random 100
- Anduin rolls 3 (1-100)
- Anduin: "I guess I don't get to open it... :-("
- Varian: /rand 100
- Varian rolls 97 (1-100)
- Varian: "W00t!"
- Bolvar: "Hold on, cowboy..."
- Bolvar: /roll
- Bolvar rolls 56 (1-100)
- Bolvar: "Darn! ;-)"
- Varian opens the chest and loots its contents, but being nice, gives unneeded items to the other players...
- Bolvar: "Sweet"
- Anduin: "Thx"