Tips and tricks
- Rune Strike is only used during the initial Death Knight leveling experience. Rune Strike will be replaced with , , or when a specialization has been chosen.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): No longer a Blood Death Knight Talent and has been redesigned to be a Rune spender and Runic Power generating ability.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Re-added with new effects.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Hotfix (2013-03-12): "Rune Strike now deals 25% more damage."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Blood specialization ability. Weapon damage reduced from 180% to 175% and no longer scales with attack power. No longer requires the death knight to have parried or dodged, and no longer causes a high amount of threat.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Rune Strike will not require a dodge or parry to activate as long as the Death Knight is in Blood Presence.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Rune Strike is no longer an "on next swing" ability; the entire next swing mechanic was removed. Instead, it is an instant strike with a global cooldown.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Threat generated by this ability increased by approximately 17%.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Damage decreased from 200% to 150% but threat increased to 150% from 100%.