- For the skeletons in Oribos, see Runecarver (Oribos).
|Location||Runecarver's Oubliette, Torghast, Tower of the Damned|
The Runecarver was imprisoned in Torghast long ago and no longer remembers his life before he was a prisoner. His designs were extracted from him and used for the Mawsworn army. He was forced against his will by the Jailer to craft Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination, referred to by Zovaal as the "vessels of Domination". Ve'nari believes that the Runecarver shouldn't be trusted.
- 1 Quests
- 2 Legendary crafting
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Notes and trivia
- 5 Speculation
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 References
- 9 External links
After reaching max level, choosing a covenant, and completing the first chapter of the covenant campaign, players are directed to Torghast. There, they will discover a mysterious key that unlocks the way to the Runecarver. Once players manage to release one of the Runecarver's hands, players are granted the ability to craft Shadowlands legendaries.
To craft a legendary, players will need a base item from one of the production professions (Tailoring, Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, or Jewelcrafting), two missives crafted with Inscription, Soul Ash, and a memory of the runecarver legendary recipe, which is unlocked by completing other objectives in the game (raids, PvP, mythic dungeons, etc).
Players who have Tailoring, Leatherworking, Blacksmithing, or Jewelcrafting as one of their primary professions will unlock the recipes for base items by playing max-level content. The crafted items are not soulbound, and can be traded or sold on the Auction House to other players.
Base items start at item level 190 and have four ranks, up to item level 235. Crafters can produce base items for all eight armor slots, as well as necklaces and rings. As players repeat crafts they will unlock higher ranks of the item, which require the same ingredients, but more of them.
|Head||Grim-Veiled Hood||Umbrahide Helm||Boneshatter Helm|
|Shoulders||Grim-Veiled Spaulders||Umbrahide Pauldrons||Boneshatter Pauldrons|
|Chest||Grim-Veiled Robe||Umbrahide Vest||Boneshatter Vest|
|Wrists||Grim-Veiled Bracers||Umbrahide Armguards||Boneshatter Armguards|
|Hands||Grim-Veiled Mittens||Umbrahide Gauntlets||Boneshatter Gauntlets|
|Waist||Grim-Veiled Belt||Umbrahide Waistguard||Boneshatter Waistguard|
|Legs||Grim-Veiled Pants||Umbrahide Leggings||Boneshatter Greaves|
|Feet||Grim-Veiled Sandals||Umbrahide Treads||Boneshatter Treads|
Scribes create missives, which define which stats the final legendary will have. Two different missives are required to craft a legendary:
Legendaries start at item level 190 (rank 1), which requires 1250 Soul Ash, and scale up to item level 235, which requires 5150.
Completing Layers of Torghast, Tower of the Damned awards . The first time a layer boss is defeated, it will drop Soul Ash. In an attempt to not force players to run trivial layers, they can skip ahead to higher unlocked layers and loot the Soul Ash from all lower layers. For instance, should a player start off at Layer 4 for their first kill, the layer boss will drop 375 Soul Ash. Players can earn up to 1140 Soul Ash a week by fully clearing (through layer 8) both available wings.
To upgrade legendaries to a higher rank, return with a higher-rank base item and the requisite amount of soul ash. For instance, to upgrade to rank 3 from rank 2, 1200 Soul Ash is required.
Memories of the Runecarver / Legendary powers
Players will be able to loot Memories of the Runecarver after they first unlock the runecarver in , which awards the achievement . After that, players can then complete a specified objective in the game, usually killing a raid boss, completing a mythic dungeon run, or various PvP tasks.
The Adventure Guide lists all available powers and their sources.
General powers are usable for all classes and specs:
- Echo of Eonar
- Judgment of the Arbiter
- Maw Rattle
- Norgannon's Sagacity
- Sephuz's Proclamation
- Stable Phantasma Lure
- Third Eye of the Jailer
- Vitality Sacrifice
- Beast Mastery
Do I know you? You don't look familiar...
I'd like to craft a legendary item.
- If the adventurer has a crafting profession
You have the look of a... crafter?
If you possess the skills, I can impart my knowledge to you of how to create the vessels to hold the rune powers.
- I... remember... you.
- I will aid you as I can.
- We must stop him.
- I recall... so... little.
- This place holds countless legends.
- Fate has brought our paths together.
- The past is a shattered mirror.
- What have you found?
- Do not lose yourself to despair.
- We walk among the fragments of memory.
- Go carefully into the darkness.
- Beware the Jailer's eye.
- Safeguard your soul, mortal.
- Within these halls lie horrors beyond imagining.
- Main article: Deep Within#Notes
- Main article: The Weak Link#Notes
- Main article: Ashes of the Tower#Notes
Notes and trivia
- During development, the Runecarver was referred to as the Runesage or the Blacksmith.
- The idea of a blacksmith that made magical weapons is likely rooted in Hephaestus, while the notion of a master runesmith could be an attribution to Odin, who is said to have invented the Futhark runes.
- It is speculated that the Runecarver is the Primus of Maldraxxus because they are similar in appearance and are both expert blacksmiths. There do exist slight discrepancies that discredit the theory, including the fact that the Primus is depicted to have had four fingers per hand, while the Runecarver in-game model has five; nonetheless, this fact is in conflict with the original concept art, where he's indeed portrayed with four.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.