- For his The Frozen Throne statistics, see Sapphiron (Warcraft III). For his pre-Wrath of the Lich King encounter, see Sapphiron (Classic). For his strategy on the current encounter, see Sapphiron (tactics).
|Race||Frost wyrm (Undead)|
|Affiliation(s)||The Scourge, Kel'Thuzad|
|Former affiliation(s)||Blue dragonflight|
|Occupation||Guardian of Naxxramas, former agent of Malygos|
|Status||Deceased (lore), Killable (WoW)|
- Once a noble blue dragon within the mountains of Northrend, Sapphiron was slain by Arthas during his campaign through the frozen north. Resurrected to serve him, Sapphiron guards Kel'Thuzad's lair eternally, awaiting those who would dare trespass upon his master.
- — Commander Eligor Dawnbringer
Sapphiron was an agent of the blue dragonflight who had guarded a treasure hoard in the mountains of Northrend. After being slain by Arthas Menethil, the dragon was raised as a powerful frost wyrm and sent to the halls of Naxxramas, where he guards the inner sanctum of the citadel's dread master, Kel'Thuzad.
An ancient servant of Malygos, Hand of Magic, Sapphiron was a blue dragon who lived with a powerful brood in Northrend by the Dragonblight, where he communed with the ancient spirits of the dead dragons. Sapphiron was magnificently powerful, and protected the lands of Northrend as best he could. Though Ner'zhul's malevolent influence defiled the Dragonblight, Sapphiron and his brood continued to guard his hoard of treasure from any and all intruders.
Sapphiron and his brood lived in relative peace until Prince Arthas, champion of the Lich King, was suddenly called back to Northrend to save his weakening master, Ner'zhul. After three weeks at sea, the Death Knight landed on the shores of Northrend near Sapphiron's frozen lair, and was greeted almost immediately by the Crypt Lord Anub'arak, King of Azjol-Nerub, another powerful servant of Ner'zhul. Anub'arak had sensed Sapphiron nearby and suggested to the young Death Knight that perhaps by equipping themselves with the ancient blue wyrm's treasures, he and Arthas might be better prepared for the perilous journey through the underground kingdom of Azjol-Nerub to Icecrown Glacier. Arthas agreed, and boldly journeyed into Sapphiron's lair with Anub'arak.
The two servants of the Lich King fought their way through Sapphiron's minions till they finally reached the great blue dragon himself. Sapphiron confronted the undead as they approached him. He found Arthas's honesty about killing him and stealing his treasure quite "refreshing". Sapphiron and his fellow dragons attacked with all their might, unleashing their strange, cold frost magics upon them. In the end, despite all odds, Arthas was victorious, and Sapphiron was defeated. As a final, clinching victory, however, Arthas used what remained of his dwindling necromatic power to recreate Sapphiron as a frost wyrm to serve the Scourge.
Sapphiron, now a mighty frost wyrm, assisted Arthas in destroying the Naga and Blood Elf forces blocking the passage to Azjol-Nerub. Sapphiron was called upon again to destroy the dwarves guarding the gates to Azjol-Nerub, but the great dragon was left outside of the tunnels, where he guarded it against all who would disturb his new master.
Like many of the blue dragonflight, Sapphiron had immense magical power, which was only magnified by the fact that Arthas personally resurrected him to serve the Scourge.
Sapphiron appeared as the boss guarding the way into Kel'Thuzad's chamber in Naxxramas. He also held onto his , throughout these events. The eye acted as a key to Malygos's home: the Eye of Eternity.
After Kel'Thuzad and Baroness Ninadar are seen betraying Margrave Sin'dane and usurping control of the House of Rituals, the Archlich summoned Sapphiron in order to deal with the Maw Walker and Balmedar. However he was ultimately defeated by the pair.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
- Icy Rift — The caster opens a rift, inflicting Frost damage to nearby players every 1.5 sec.
- Shadowfrost Breath — Inflicts 20 Shadowfrost damage to all enemies in front of the caster and encases targets in ice blocks.
- Shadowfrost Shard — Inflicts 10 Shadowfrost damage.
- Tail Sweep — Xantuth inflicts 25 Physical damage to players in a cone behind her, knocking them back.
Encounter with Arthas
- Sapphiron: You dare enter my lair? I am Sapphiron, ancient servant of Malygos the Spell-Weaver! Explain yourselves!
- Arthas: Sorry we don't have time to chat, great wyrm. We've come to murder you and steal whatever artifacts you've been hoarding over the centuries.
- Sapphiron: Honesty... how refreshing. None may challenge Sapphiron and live!
- (Sapphiron is defeated by Arthas)
- Arthas: At least I still have enough power to do this...
- (Sapphiron is raised by Arthas as an enormous Frost Wyrm)
- A reference is made to Sapphiron in the item .
- Though previously appearing as nothing but bone in Naxxramas, in World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Sapphiron's appeared with much of his flesh restored, albeit as rotting.
- While not directly stated, his Shadowlands appearance could suggest that when he died, his soul went to Maldraxxus.
- Despite not being a willing agent of the Scourge and thus ally of Kel'Thuzad, Sapphiron doesn't hesitate to respond to his summon in Maldraxxus. While not directly stated, it is possible that Kel'Thuzad simply took control of Sapphiron at some point after they were both within the Shadowlands. Alternatively Sapphiron's time in serving under Kel'Thuzad within Naxxramas, could have cause him to develop a case of Durnholde Syndrome towards the Archlich.
Sapphiron as seen on the "Icy Blast Amulet" card in the TCG.
Sapphiron on the Curse of Naxxramas wallpaper.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.