Shadow Word: Pain
- "SWP" redirects here. For the raid instance, see Sunwell Plateau.
|Shadow Word: Pain|
|Improvements||Damnation, , , , Searing Nightmare,|
- "Your pain is my pleasure." —Omedus the Punisher
For Shadow priests, Shadow Word: Pain generates 4 Insanity on application.
- Rank 2 (Level 27): Increases the duration by 4 sec.
- As with many baseline abilities, the actual damage dealt by Shadow Word: Pain will vary based on the priest's specialization. This is due to each spec having a hidden core aura that modifies ability damage done solely for that spec.
- As of Patch 9.0.1, these hidden core auras grant Shadow Word: Pain a 7% damage increase for discipline, an 81% damage increase for holy, and a 20% damage increase for shadow.
- Like all damage over time spells, sufficient haste will cause Shadow Word: Pain to gain extra ticks.
- Shadow Word: Pain will not deal its initial damage when applied with via .
Tips and tactics
Shadow priests use Shadow Word: Pain (commonly abbreviated as SW:P) as one of their key damage-over-time attacks. Though its damage is considerably low, its primary use is to enable , and it should generally be kept active on enemies at all times. Being both instant cast and free of cost, SW:P is the easiest of Shadow's three DoTs to apply and spread, especially with the talents or Searing Nightmare.
As Discipline priests do not have access to , they instead make use of Shadow Word: Pain as a "reverse HoT" via . Unlike shadow, discipline does not have any options to directly improve SW:P, but they can talent into which replaces SW:P entirely with a stronger DoT.
In PvP, SW:P can be useful for preventing rogues or druids from stealthing, and dealing damage while on the move. Unlike most DoTs, Shadow Word: Pain has an initial direct damage component that will interrupt flag captures and similar processes, making it highly useful for this purpose. This makes SW:P the priest's only instant spammable direct damage ability.
In the RPG
This spell envelopes a target briefly in a cloud of dark energy conjured from the netherworld.
- In Classic, Shadow Word: Pain is the only shadow damage over time ability available to priests (excluding the undead priest racial ). It is also considered to be one of the strongest DoTs in Classic due to both its high base damage and its synergy with the numerous shadow damage talents and debuffs available.
- Shadow Word: Pain is a basic Priest spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "A step up from a spell cast by many beginning acolytes: "Shadow Word: Annoy"."
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2020-11-09): (Discipline) Damage reduced by 10%.
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Once again available to all Priests as a baseline ability.
- Damage coefficient reduced to 12.92% instant (was 16.56%) and 57.528% periodic (was 99.2%).
- Duration reduced to 12 seconds (was 16 seconds).
- For shadow priests, a new rank has been added that increases the duration by 4 seconds.
- Mana cost reduced to 0.3% base mana (was 1.8% base mana).
- Now learned at level 2 (was level 3).
- Periodic critical strikes no longer generate for shadow priests.
- Patch 8.3.0 (2020-01-14): Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced by 9%.
- Patch 8.2.0 (2019-06-25): Shadow Word: Pain damage reduced by 9%.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): (Discipline) Damage reduced by 11%. (Shadow) Damage reduced by 5%.
- Hotfix (2018-09-10): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage increased by 20%."
- Hotfix (2018-08-07): "Shadow Word: Pain (Discipline) damage reduced by 9%."
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Duration reduced to 16 seconds (was 18 seconds).
- Hotfix (2017-12-05): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage reduced by 12%."
- Hotfix (2017-11-28): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage reduced by 4%."
- Hotfix (2017-06-13): "Shadow Word: Pain (Shadow) damage reduced by 20% in PvP situations."
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Shadow Word: Pain damage increased by 5% for Discipline and 10% for Shadow.
- Hotfix (2017-02-21): "Shadow Word: Pain (with the Misery talent) is now properly applied to the target when out of range."
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): (Shadow) Duration now 18 seconds (was 14 seconds). Now generates 4 Insanity (was 3).
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): (Shadow) Damage reduced by 10%.
- Hotfix (2016-08-26): "Shadow Word: Pain (Discipline) damage increased by 7%."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Holy. Damage per tick reduced by 5%. Duration reduced to 14 seconds (down from 18). Now generates Insanity (Shadow only).
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Mana cost reduced by 50%. Shadow Word: Pain's initial damage is now considered direct damage rather than periodic damage. Shadowy Apparitions and Shadowy Insight are no longer able to trigger from this initial direct damage.
- Hotfix (2013-09-23): "Shadow Word: Pain's damage has been reduced by 15%."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now deals 25% more damage.
- Hotfix (2013-03-12): "Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% less damage."
- Hotfix (2013-03-05): "Shadow Word: Pain now deals 25% more damage."
- Hotfix (2012-09-14): "Shadow Word: Pain should now interrupt flag captures and other similar processes with its initial damage (but not its periodic damage over time)."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now deals initial damage in addition to its periodic damage.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Shadow Word: Pain damage done has been decreased by 12%.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Range increased to 40 yards, up from 30.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14): No longer gains increased damage from critical strike via . Instead, Shadowform will now grant Shadow Word: Pain the ability to critically strike.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Shadow Word: Pain cast while in now deals increased damage equal to the caster's critical strike chance.
- Patch 2.0.6 (2007-01-23): Spell power coefficient reduced by 9%.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Removed facing requirement.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13): Shadow Word: Pain will now stack with .