Wowpedia

We have moved to Warcraft Wiki. Click here for information and the new URL.

READ MORE

Wowpedia
Advertisement
Not to be confused with Shatter (dread raven).
Shatter
Spell frost frostshock
  • Shatter
  • Row 3 Frost mage talent
  • Passive
  • Multiplies the critical strike chance of your spells against frozen targets by 1.5, and adds an additional 50% critical strike chance.
Properties
Class Mage
Talents
Talent required Ability mage wintersgrasp [Fingers of Frost]

Shatter is a Frost mage ability. It multiplies the critical strike chance of all the mage's spells against frozen targets by 1.5 plus an additional 50%. A frozen target is a target immobilized by a frost-based effect, such as Spell frost frostnova [Frost Nova], Freeze, Spell frost chainsofice [Freezing Trap] or the freeze effect from the Inv jewelry ring 07 [Freezing Band]. The critical strike chance applies to all of the mage's spells, including those not in the Frost school.

Tips and tactics[]

Frostbolt ice lance crits

A devastating Spell frost frostbolt02 [Frostbolt] - Spell frost frostblast [Ice Lance] combo crits twice on this frozen Talbuk with the aid of Shatter

Freeze effects have a much higher chance to break when taking damage, meaning it can be difficult to get more than one spell to land on each freeze. It is still possible to get two criticals on the same freeze effect before it breaks. First, use a long cast time spell that also has a projectile travel time, such as Spell frost frostbolt02 [Frostbolt]. Immediately after the cast, use an instant spell such as Spell frost frostblast [Ice Lance], if you are fast enough and at good range. The check to see if the target is frozen, and thus the critical strike check, is done at the time the cast completes, while the freeze effect is not removed from the target until after the spell hits. Thus, both spells will have the benefit of Shatter due to the time of flight for the first spell.

Trivia[]

Patch changes[]

  • Dragonflight Patch 10.0.0 (2022-10-25): Now a row 3 Frost talent (was a level 17 Frost ability). Rank 2 effects are now baseline.
  • Shadowlands Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Now learned at level 17 (was 14). Rank 2 now learned at level 27 (was 36).
  • Battle for Azeroth Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Now learned at level 14 (was 16).
  • Legion Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 16 (was 12). Now grants 25% critical strike chance (was 50%), with an additional 25% from Rank 2 at level 36.
  • Legion Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now learned at level 12 (was 16).
  • Warlords of Draenor Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
    • Now available only to Frost mages.
    • Now multiplies Critical Strike chance by 1.5 (down from 2).
  • Mists of Pandaria Hotfix (2012-09-14): The initial damage of Spell fire sealoffire [Combustion] is now properly affected by Shatter, increasing its crit chance accordingly.
  • Mists of Pandaria Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now learned at level 16 (was a tier 1 Frost talent). Critical strike chance multiplier reduced from 3 to 2, and has an additional 50% to critically hit. No longer increases the damage done by Frostbolt against frozen targets.
  • Cataclysm Hotfix (2010-11-23): Shatter now only increases the chance for Ability mage moltenarmor [Molten Armor]'s damage to be a critical strike when the target is actually frozen, as intended.
  • Cataclysm Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now also increases Frostbolt damage by 10/20% against frozen targets.
  • Cataclysm Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Changed from increasing critical strike chance of spells against frozen targets by 17/34/50% to multiplying the critical strike chance of spells against frozen targets by 2/3. Moved to tier 1 (was tier 4).
  • Wrath-Logo-Small Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): No longer requires Spell frost freezingbreath [Improved Frost Nova]. Reduced to 3 ranks (was 5), but with the same effect at max rank.
  • WoW Icon update Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-19): Shatter now applies to all of the mage's spell schools (was only frost spells).

External links[]

Advertisement