- For the city from the main universe, see Shattrath City.
Orgrim Doomhammer †
|Language(s)||Draenei, Orcish, Thalassian|
|Affiliation(s)||Auchenai, Sunsworn, Sha'tari|
|Formerly||Shadow Council, Sargerei, Burning Legion, Iron Horde|
|Sources: World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor|
“At the center of Talador shines the glorious cathedral city of Shattrath: a museum metropolis, an architectural marvel, a preserved recreation of ancient draenei culture—entirely occupied by the Iron Horde.”
Shattrath City is the old capital city of the draenei, located in the northwestern part of Talador. The Iron Horde under Blackhand seized the city and used it as a staging ground, though were driven out by the draenei, the Frostwolf clan, and heroes from Azeroth. Later, the treacherous Socrethar of the Sargerei took control of the city with the aid of Burning Legion agents.
Under Blackhand's command, the Blackrock clan war machine invaded Shattrath by sea and drove out its draenei residents. The city was used as a staging ground to attack the Iron Horde's enemies in the region, as well as a dock and a point of congregation for Iron Horde troops. Blackhand's second-in-command, Orgrim Doomhammer, was also stationed there.
A combined force of heroes from Azeroth, draenei, and Frostwolves (including Durotan, Draka, Khadgar, Maraad, and Yrel) take part in the Battle for Shattrath, and assault the Iron Horde army from several points. Orgrim Doomhammer abandons the battle after witnessing the deaths of innocent draenei, though is immediately confronted and killed by Blackhand, who then does battle with Durotan, Maraad, and Yrel aboard his ship. Maraad is killed in the ensuing chaos, Yrel and Durotan work together to survive Blackhand's onslaught, and the pair escape with Khadgar's help. Though Shattrath was freed from the Iron Horde, Blackhand had also survived and fled the city.
Draenei returned to Shattrath following its liberation, though the treacherous former exarch Socrethar later usurped the city with the aid of the Burning Legion and the Sargerei. Heroes are sent there from their garrisons to combat the new threat.
With Auchindoun safe, Exarch Maladaar and Lady Liadrin traveled north to Shattrath to deal with Socrethar and the Legion and relieve the city. Joining forces with the Sha'tari Defense, the Auchenai and the Sunsworn now seek to retake Shattrath completely.
- By level 100, Shattrath's state is almost the opposite of how players will recognize it from the main timeline. The city is primarily hostile, its residents displaced and driven out by the Iron Horde and later the Burning Legion, and instead of comprising two rivaling factions, the draenei and blood elves stationed there work together to remove the Legion presence and reinstall the city's rightful rulers.
- Even though the Unbroken short story described Shattrath City similarly as it is seen on Outland, WoD's game design completely changed the appearance of the city on Draenor, ignoring some of the description from the short story. However, areas like the Lower City and the Terrace of Light would be under the central dome of the intact city.
- Arkonite crystals from the Jorune Mine are used to power Auchindoun and Shattrath.
- In the phases containing friendly draenei, certain things hint towards the Sargerei having already taken over, such as too many civilian NPCs laughing despite the ongoing battle, children that are "playing" asking if they can stop running yet, and areas with dead draenei but no dead Iron Horde forces.