Spectral gryphons are ghostly gryphons that aid players in transporting them to different locations. Before Cataclysm, it was first seen only in the Eastern Plaguelands alongside William Kielar, where it was used to fly to the other towers if the player's faction controlled Plaguewood Tower.
- Crystalsong Forest
- Storm Peaks, which includes all the instances
- Wyrmrest Temple in Dragonblight (leaving this subzone will dismount you)
- Mount Hyjal
- Twilight Highlands
You get the following buff while mounted on the spectral gryphon:
- You respawn as a ghost already mounted on a spectral gryphon when you die in one of the zones listed above.
- If you go into those zones as a ghost, you will suddenly find yourself on a spectral gryphon.
- They also appear as mounts for the Forgotten Captains on the Forgotten Shore in Dragonblight.
- As Night elf players become wisps, they gain the ability to fly instead. also allows them to fly faster than spectral gryphons.
- The flight speed is based on your Riding level.
- Hotfix (2009-04-16): Players killed or ghosts that move into Crystalsong Forest should now be on a spectral gryphon to ride back to their body.