- "Spell Power" redirects here. For the former mage talent, see .
- "Spellpower" redirects here. For other uses, see Spellpower (disambiguation).
Your bonus damage and bonus healing from spell power do not usually apply directly to a spell. Each spell (or each component of each spell) which causes damage or healing has a spell power coefficient which determines how much damage or healing the spell does.
Spell power is found primarily on trinkets as an on use effect, but can also be increased with potions.
- Spell power does not apply to bandages or potions.
Prior to patch 3.0.2, the attribute known as spell damage would only increase the effects of damaging spells. Healing spells were only increased by the healing attribute. As of patch 3.0.2, spell power now affects both types of spells. Nevertheless, there are items which would increase your bonus healing independently of damage spells. Similarly, there are items which grant bonuses only to certain magic schools such as Fire or Nature.
As of patch 4.0.1 the ability to downrank has been removed. Spell power has also been removed from Wrath of the Lich King gear (except weapons and trinkets) and gems, but casters now gain 1 spell power per point of intellect. Spell power on gems was changed to Intellect; for example, +23 spell power became +20 Intellect.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Spell power has been removed from all armor (except ).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): All items and effects which grant bonuses to spell damage and spell healing are being consolidated into a single stat, Spell Power. This stat will appear with the same values found on items which grant "increased spell damage and healing" such as on typical Mage and Warlock itemization.
- For classes which do not heal, they should see no change in the character sheet other than new tooltip wording.
- Healing characters will see their bonus healing numbers on the character sheet decrease, however, all healing spells have been modified to receive more benefit from Spell Power than they received from bonus healing, with a net effect of no change to the amount healed by their spells. Some talents have had to be rebalanced to accommodate this change, but the amount healed will remain roughly the same. In addition, some talents will provide only healing spell power.