The mighty storm dragons are mysterious creatures that inhabit Skywall, the portion of the Elemental Plane that serves as the domain of air elementals. Their origin is unknown, as before the Shattering no one had seen them (or lived long enough to tell the story). Their draconic appearance however may not indicate their true nature. It appears they are quite tightly connected to the element of air, and serve Al'Akir, mostly found in Vortex Pinnacle. They also seem to be non-sentinent beings, as none of them so far can be seen using any kind of language, neither draconic nor kalimag. This may mean that they are in fact elementals similar to the phoenixes from the Firelands.
Brann Bronzebeard recently uncovered evidence, corroborated by reports from adventurers in Deepholm, that proto-dragons and dragons may have origins in these — and other — elemental drakes. The inhabitants of Deepholm, the Skywall, the Firelands, and the Abyssal Maw are less than talkative on these matters, however, and most of them were not around when the elemental prisons were created.
As a mount
- Main article: Elemental drake mounts
- drops from Altairus in the Vortex Pinnacle on both Normal and Heroic difficulty.
- can be purchased from Quartermaster Brazie / Pogg at a cost of 200 upon reaching exalted with Baradin's Wardens / Hellscream's Reach.
- is a reward for completing .
- drops from Al'Akir in the Throne of the Four Winds on both Normal and Heroic difficulty.
- drops from Ishak of the Four Winds in Uldum.