This spell can be replaced with by speaking to Lady Alistra in Acherus: The Ebon Hold. Dark Arbiter instead summons a Val'kyr Battlemaiden who uses Val'kyr Strike, dealing Shadow damage. The spell can be changed back by speaking to Alistra again.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Now requires level 50.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17):
- Now a level 100 Unholy talent (was a baseline Unholy ability).
- Duration reduced to 30 seconds (was 40).
- Now has the same effect as ; the gargoyle gains additional damage based on runic power spent while it's active.
- Hotfix (2017-02-21): Summon Gargoyle-- Gargoyle Strike damage increased 50%.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Duration increased to 40 seconds (was 30).
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): No longer costs Runic Power (was 60). Gargoyle now deals Plague damage instead of Nature.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer a talent. Now available as an Unholy specialization ability.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): The gargoyle called by Summon Gargoyle should exclusively use its ranged attack regardless of range to the target. Additionally, gargoyles should now properly inherit their master’s crit and spell penetration stats.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): New icon.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04):
- The gargoyle now flies lower to the ground, making it susceptible to melee attacks. This ability now has a fixed duration of 30 seconds and a fixed cost of 60 runic power.
- Corrected the inaccurate tooltip which claimed a Gargoyle could last up to 40 seconds, when in fact 30 seconds has always been the maximum.
- Patch 3.1.0 (2009-04-14):
- Swapped places with in the Unholy tree. is the new Unholy 51-point talent (previously 25-point).
- The Gargoyle will no longer re-attack rogues after they , or night elves who use . Monsters will stop trying to chase a Gargoyle after it flies away. The debuff on the target indicating he or she is being pursued by a Gargoyle will no longer display the duration, and will be removed when the buff is removed from the death knight. Max duration in the tooltip changed to 40 seconds.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Damage dealt by the Gargoyle reduced by approximately 20% and maximum duration cut to 30 seconds (was up to 1 minute).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.