Swords come in one-handed and two-handed edged weapon varieties, usually in the form of a long, narrow blade with a short handle or hilt. Some swords have one primary edge, some have broader blades, and even others have longer hilts, but all generally rely on the ability to slash an opponent with only occasional piercing attacks.
One-handed weapons generate less damage per second and fewer bonuses than their two-handed counterparts of the same level.
- Ashbringer, the legendary blade of Alexandros Mograine and Tirion Fordring.
- Frostmourne, the Runeblade wielded by the Lich King. Later shattered and reforged into the Blades of the Fallen Prince, and .
- , the weapon of Thunderaan.
- and , the legendary weapon set consisting of two swords, wielded by Illidan Stormrage.
- Great Royal Sword of Anduin Lothar, that was broken by the Doomhammer.
- , speculated to be another weapon of Anduin Lothar.
- , apparently stolen by Arthas and corrupted.
- , an ancient Night elven sword.
- , the reforged blade of Quel'Thalas. Obtained via a quest given by the .
- Shalla'tor and Ellemayne, a pair of Night elf swords forged during the War of the Ancients. Accidently fused together in modern times, creating Shalamayne. Former weapon of Varian Wrynn and now wielded by his son, Anduin Wrynn.
- , the two-handed sword dropped off of Rajaxx in Ahn'Qiraj.
- , a legendary elven blade wielded by the kings of Quel'thalas.
- , the weapon of Thoradin, the first human king.