Sword of Sargeras
The Sword of Sargeras (or the dark blade of Sargeras) is a weapon "crafted from hatred made manifest" that the titan Sargeras used to impale Azeroth, gravely injuring its world-soul. It struck in Silithus, decimating the life and settlements in the region, which is now referred to as the Wound. This event damaged the titan spirit at the core of the planet, causing it to start bleeding Azerite all over the world. The Explorers' League didn't know how deep the sword goes and what Sargeras might have disturbed or awoken.
The sword's magic emitted a dark-red aura, its energies seeping into Azeroth's heart like poison, until order champions drained the sword of its corruption with their artifact weapons serving as vessels for its vast power. The red glow subsided, and the sword went dormant.
Magni Bronzebeard observing the corruption.
- During the War of the Ancients, Sargeras impaled Broxigar with his jagged, broken blade.
- Unlike its pre-7.3 depictions (see gallery), the jagged sword of Sargeras is whole instead of being broken in half, and the hilt of the sword hosts an orb of energy instead of an eye.
- The sword is never given a name in canon, only referred repeatedly as the "sword of Sargeras".
- In the non-canonical Warcraft RPG, Sargeras wielded two swords—Gorshalach, and later another one named Gorribal. In the RPG canon, Gorribal and Taeshalach were forged from the sundered remnants of Gorshalach.
- Though the blade Taeshalach and the name Gorshalach were made canon, it has never been clarified if the sword that was plunged into Azeroth was meant to be Gorshalach.
- In the RPG sourcebook Shadows & Light, Sargeras is depicted holding a sword embedded in a planet.
Sargeras wielding a sword before his corruption, in Chronicle Volume 1
The same sword in the Warcraft Saga
In the patch 7.3.0 key art
In the Antorus ending cinematic
- ^ Before the Storm, chapter 21
- ^ Before the Storm, chapter 1
- ^ Before the Storm, chapter 14
- ^ The Sundering, pg. 307, 323 — "Then, the titan raised one arm and in it Brox beheld a long, wicked sword the upper half of whose blade had been broken off. What remained was jagged and still very capable of slaying."
- ^ File:Sargeras.JPG