The Battle for Broken Shore (Alliance)
|Level||98 (Requires 98)|
|Rewards||Item level 685 weapon|
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Notes
- 5 Completion
- 6 Gains
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Ship taken to the Broken Shore
- Broken Shore assaulted
This is your vessel, <name>. She's a fine ship, been through many a campaign. Speak with the ship's captain when you're ready to depart.
Good luck out there. We've received few reports about what's happening at the Broken Shore, but I'd wager King Varian has matters well in hand.
- Captain Angelica
- Welcome aboard, <name>.
- We're all stocked and ready to ship out just as soon as you're ready.
I am ready to face the Legion.
Are you prepared to face the Legion at the Broken Shore? (Accept/Cancel)
- A cutscene plays, showing the third fleet shipping out.
Inside the scenario begins the Alliance perspective of the battle for the Broken Shore.
Stage 1: The Broken Shore
- Travel to the Broken Shore.
Once the cutscene finishes, the player is on Captain Angelica's battleship, sailing toward the Broken Shore. Up to 40 players (20 Alliance and 20 Horde) can take part in the scenario and the difficulty will scale to handle all comers. In the first twenty seconds, other players who also say they are ready to start the scenario will join the instance automatically. After 20 seconds, the NPCs start talking:
- Captain Angelica says: Smooth sailing so far. Give me a status report.
- First Mate Tidesong says: King Wrynn and the Stormwind Fleet arrived several hours ago. Reports indicate heavy fighting.
- Captain Angelica says: I haven't seen so much as a seagull for hours now.
- First Mate Tidesong says: There is a foulness in the air, and we are headed directly towards it.
- Captain Angelica says: Directly ahead, Alliance ships! Make for the beach! Hold on everyone, this is going to get worse before it gets better!
- The ship turns, and the fel energy above the Tomb of Sargeras comes into view.
- Captain Angelica says: Light's sake, what is THAT?
- First Mate Tidesong says: It appears to be a great source of fel energy. I have never seen anything like it.
- A cutscene takes place as siege cannons start bombarding the ships with fel fireballs.
Stage 2: Storm The Beach
- Destroy all demons and structures on the beach.
- 33 Demons slain
- 3 Fel Lords slain
- 3 Spires of Woe destroyed
Once the cutscene finishes, Captain Angelica's battleship is now ashore, burning with fel fire. Many of the deck hands are dead, and Angelica and her first mate are trying to put off the flames. On the beach, Jaina Proudmoore and Genn Greymane are each leading small squads of Kirin Tor Battle-Mages, Gilnean Royal Guards and Gilnean Druids. Several cannons are also here, manned by Ironforge Cannoneers. A few Darnassus Sentinels are there as well. Many Alliance battleships are wrecked around the shoreline and several Stormwind Gryphons are dead on the ground. Players then gain the For the Alliance buff which makes them stronger.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: The third fleet reinforcements!
- Genn Greymane yells: Just in time. We haven't been able to break their line. Now we may have a chance.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: It's now or never, Genn!
- Genn shifts to worgen form.
- Genn Greymane yells: There's only one way out of this, Alliance, and it's through that line of demons! Cannons, lay down covering fire! All forces, CHARGE!
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: Do not let them reach the spires!
The NPCs charge toward one of the three spires, guarded by 11 demons (among them Felguard Legionnaires and Felstalker Dreadhounds) and a Fel Lord (among them Fel Lord Kurduz, Fel Lord Rakkan and Fel Lord Zardak) each. Start killing the demons as well as the Anchoring Crystals surrounding the Spires of Woe. Jaina realizes that they're important:
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Those crystals appear to be anchoring the structures to our dimension. Take them out, and I bet the whole structure would crumble!
- Genn Greymane yells: Let's hope you're right.
- Genn Greymane yells: Side by side, don't let them break through!
- Genn Greymane yells: Go for the throat!
- Genn Greymane yells: This one's mine!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Laying down a blizzard!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Putting this one on ice!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: My magic will tear you apart!
After destroying the first spire:
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: It worked!
- Genn Greymane yells: One down, two to go.
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: Break them!
In small groups, follow the NPCs - don't take the lead. Let Jaina and Genn tank! Repeat the process for the second spire:
- Genn Greymane yells: One more and the shore is ours!
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: You march to your doom!
Destroy the third spire to advance to the next stage.
Stage 3: Defeat the Commander
- Slay Dread Commander Arganoth.
- Dread Commander Arganoth slain
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: You wish to face the might of the Legion? Ha, very well. The master will reward me for your souls.
- Genn Greymane yells: Finally, enough of your chatter.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: We've got him now! Focus on their commander!
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: Your souls will fuel the soul forge!
Arganoth lands in the center of the beach. Again, let the NPCs tank him. He has the same area of effect attacks as the fel lords, so they're easy to dodge.
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: The legion will crush you! INFERNO!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Look out, infernals!
- Genn Greymane yells: You should have stayed home!
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: The master will mend my flesh again and again. You have not won. You cannot win. We are endless. We are Legion!
- Dread Commander Arganoth yells: I... will.. return...
Stage 4: Find Varian
- Locate King Varian Wrynn.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: Is everyone all right?
- Genn Greymane says: Singed, but alive. We lost many good troops.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: We'll have to mourn them later, we need to move before more demons arrive.
- Genn Greymane says: Agreed.
Jaina, Genn, and their troops start running uphill to the north. Keep up.
- Genn Greymane says: Varian's forces should have landed just around this hill, let's hope they had more luck.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: I've never seen the demons expand this quickly.
- Genn Greymane says: Neither have I. Something has changed, this isn't the same legion we've fought before.
As the party crests the hill, looking over a ridge to the north, the Tomb of Sargeras itself comes into view. A cutscene shows the environs, where a huge demon city and the wreck of the Horde gunship that transported Sylvanas Windrunner can be seen:
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: Oh no...
- Genn Greymane says: This isn't possible. There are so many of them.
- Legion ships start warping in as the camera tracks to Varian's position, with Gelbin Mekkatorque in tow.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Hold fast, Alliance! We will not fall this day! Push them back to the portal!
- Varian is surrounded by Stormwind Knights, Stormwind Priests, Exodar Vindicators and Gnomeregan Tinkerers. Mekkatorque himself is driving a steam armor. The cutscene ends as Varian's forces are about to attack another band of demons. The Legion ships starts bombarding the area.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Varian!
- Genn Greymane yells: Let's go!
Stage 5: Destroy the Portal
- Destroy the demon portal to stop reinforcements.
- 4 Shielded Anchors shattered
- King Varian Wrynn says: Genn, Jaina, it's good to see you safe.
- Genn Greymane says: And you.
- Gelbin Mekkatorque says: We've got to take down this portal!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: The anchoring crystals are the key, just get us up there and we'll take care of it.
Finish off the Mo'arg Painbringer, then rush the portal. Another painbringer will run out of the portal, but let the NPCs tank it. Focus instead on the Eredar Chaos Guards protecting the Shielded Anchors.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Form up, Alliance! We push them back to the portal! For Azeroth!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Focus on the crystals!
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Back where you came from!
- King Varian Wrynn yells: We're pushing them back! Keep it up!
- King Varian Wrynn yells: For the Alliance!
- Gelbin Mekkatorque yells: Back to the Nether with you!
- Gelbin Mekkatorque yells: For Gnomeregan!
- Gelbin Mekkatorque yells: Taste blaster!
Finish off the last anchor to continue to the next stage.
Stage 6: Raze the Black City
- Assault the demon city.
- Assault the demon city. (0/100%)
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Heal the wounded, we cannot rest for long.
Follow the group down the hill.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: What happened here?
- Gelbin Mekkatorque says: It happened in seconds! We were fighting our way up the shore and then BOOM, explosions of fel energy all around us. And these buildings just grew up out of them, filled with demons! I don't know how we're going to be able to push them back at this rate!
- King Varian Wrynn yells: One demon at a time. With me, Alliance, leave nothing standing!
As the party is about to enter the city, many dead Argent Dawnbringers can be seen in a gruesome display. They come across a live but wounded one:
- King Varian Wrynn yells: You're from the Crusade! What happened? Where is Tirion?
- Argent Dawnbringer says: Don't know... they were on us in seconds... felfire everywhere...
- Genn Greymane says: Save your strength, we will find him.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Keep your eyes open for survivors! Save as many as you can!
Many of the crusaders are impaled on spikes or put on body piles, but some of them are still alive and can be saved. Start killing demons, freeing trapped crusaders, commandeering unattended cannons, breaking portals, destroying spires, and so on. Don't wander around alone - stick with the friendly NPCs! Freed crusaders will act as guardians to the player. Doom Shrooms, Moongrasses, Chaos Clovers, Bleakthorns and Felblooms are local plants that can be clicked on to provide buffs.
Fill the bar to continue.
Stage 7: The Highlord
- Get to Tirion.
- Genn Greymane says: They're retreating.
- King Varian Wrynn says: I get the feeling that the fight isn't over yet.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Varian, I found him! Look, across the chasm, Tirion!
- The camera tracks across the chasm and some ways away to find Tirion, suspended over a pit of fel lava by Gul'dan!
- King Varian Wrynn yells: All forces, to Jaina!
On the other side of the cutscene, all players and NPCs have been teleported to Jaina's position near the chasm. She is forming an ice bridge to clear the gap.
- Gelbin Mekkatorque says: How are we going to get across?
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore says: I've got this.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Tirion!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Gul'dan! You will pay for this!
- Highlord Tirion Fordring says: Stay back... it's a trap... the Light will protect me...
- Gul'dan yells: Hah, you fool! You stand before the temple of a GOD. Your pitiful Light cannot reach you here. How fortunate that your friends have arrived just in time to watch you die.
- Krosus, a boss-level demon, appears from the lava.
- Gul'dan yells: Destroy him.
- Krosus channels some kind of breath attack on Tirion.
- Highlord Tirion Fordring yells: The Light... will... aah! Aaahhhh!!
- Tirion's lifeless corpse falls beneath the surface of the lava pool.
- Thrall yells: Fordring!
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: No!
- Gul'dan yells: All you have worked for, all you have sacrificed, just to see your champions fall to ash one by one.
- Gul'dan yells: Destroy them!
Stage 8: Krosus
- Kill Krosus.
- Krosus slain
- Krosus yells: You will know fear.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Brace yourselves, Alliance, it's coming this way!
Krosus runs through the lava, stopping at the edge of the pool, conveniently in range of melee attacks. As always, let the NPCs tank. The Krosus encounter is a tank-and-spank, and Krosus has a Slam attack that damages enemies within ~10 yards or so, an Orb of Destruction that drops a fireball on a ~30-yard radius area of effect, and a channeled Fel Storm that drops fel fireballs all over the arena for a few seconds. Every 25%, he will swap to face the other faction, and the Alliance gets first crack.
At 75%, Krosus turns to attack the Horde.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: He's heading your way, Windrunner!
- Lady Sylvanas Winderunner yells: Let's go, Horde, it's time to show the Alliance how we slay demons.
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore yells: Beasts from the felfire emerge, be careful!
As the Horde were dealing with trash mobs in the first phase, so now will Alliance deal with trash mobs from 75-50%.
At 50%, Krosus turns back to face the Alliance.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: All yours, Alliance.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: We've got him this time! All forces, concentrate your fire!
Rinse and repeat down to 25%:
- King Varian Wrynn yells: You've got another shot at the kill, Sylvanas!
- Lady Sylvanas Winderunner yells: Consider your job done then, Wrynn.
Clear out the trash mobs, then finish Krosus off.
Final Stage: Stop Gul'dan
- Stop Gul'dan from summoning the Legion.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Ha, the bigger they are...
- Lady Sylvanas Winderunner yells: No time to gloat, Wrynn. We've got to stop Gul'dan before he summons another one of those things!
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Everyone, across the chasm!
Uh-oh, when the game asks for players to have 'Survived', that's a sign things are going to go poorly.
Jaina quickly summons another ice bridge to get up to where Gul'dan was. Just on the other side, Varian and Sylvanas pause for a moment.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: We'll take the ridge and cover your flank.
- King Varian Wrynn says: Sylvanas, thank you.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner says: Good luck, Varian.
- King Varian Wrynn says: And you.
Follow the path up to the Tomb of Sargeras. Now, if you approach Gul'dan too much you will be insta-killed by the gaze of Sargeras himself, with the message "You feel a staggering presence on the other side of the portal touch you for a moment...".
- King Varian Wrynn yells: There is nowhere to run, Gul'dan. Give up now, and I will grant you a swift death.
- Gul'dan yells: Run? Ha. You are right, human. There is nowhere to run from my master. Now, witness the true might of Lord Sargeras!
- Gul'dan summons a few dozen demon forces.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: Hold steady, we've broken their lines before and we will again. Charge!
The two-dozen non-elites attack and are quickly cut down.
- King Varian Wrynn yells: We will never fall to you, Gul'dan. The combined forces of Azeroth will triumph today.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Less chatting, Wrynn. Kill him already!
- Gul'dan yells: I have seen the end of your pitiful world, Wrynn. You will perish in felfire, like ten thousand worlds before your own. The legion is ENDLESS.
- The next wave of elites attacks, as Gul'dan summons in another wave of even stronger demons, most of which whom are the named demons defeated earlier in the scenario.
Stay alive, let the NPCs tank. After the second wave is defeated...
- King Varian Wrynn yells: No matter how many demons you throw at us, we will cut you down, monster.
- Gul'dan summons an even stronger wave of demons, including many of the named demons players have faced over the past decade.
- Lord Jaraxxus yells: We return.
- Brutallus yells: To conquer this puny world.
- Tichondrius the Darkener yells: And burn it to a husk.
- Gul'dan yells: Do you see now, whelp? The fate of this world is sealed. The Legion cannot be stopped.
- Gul'dan yells: And now you will fall.
The next wave starts to attack as a cutscene plays, ending the scenario and the quest.
- As Sylvanas and her archers are picked off by felbats, Varian fights back an attacking felguard in the melee below.
- Varian Wrynn: Victory is ours! Hold fast! Mekkatorque!
- Mekkatorque looks over from his battle suit, raising his goggles.
- Varian Wrynn: We finish this now! Call in the gunship!
- Gelbin Mekkatorque: Way ahead of you, sir! Transangulating our position right now!
- As he speaks, the cannon arm of his gunsuit raises and blasts an approaching felguard. Varian looks over at Greymane, the worgen wildly carving up a demon corpse.
- Varian Wrynn: Genn! GENN!
- Genn Greymane: My lord!
- Greymane bounds back to the group.
- Varian Wrynn: Push forward!
- Another swarm of felbats attacks their position.
- Varian Wrynn: And get Windrunner's archers to clear the skies!
- Suddenly, a horn sounds - and the Forsaken archers fall back from the ridge. Varian stares in horror.
- Varian Wrynn: No... she wouldn't...
- Greymane steps up next to him, outraged.
- Genn Greymane: I knew it! I knew we couldn't trust her!
- As ordered, the Skyfire comes in to pick up the survivors, blasting felbats out of the skies.
- Genn Greymane: Without the Horde, we'll be overrun! We must retreat!
- Varian sheathes Shalamayne as another rank of felguards approaches.
- Varian Wrynn: Get everyone to the gunship.
- Genn Greymane: Everyone! FALL BACK!
- Growling in frustration, Varian climbs the rope ladder to the deck. In front of the Tomb of Sargeras, Gul'dan laughs as he raises his staff, opening a portal from above the Tomb, releasing a massive ball of felfire at the Skyfire.
- Genn Greymane: INCOMING! Hard to port!
- The Skyfire moves rapidly to port to avoid the fireball, which explodes on the ground below, shaking the gunship. Varian hangs on for dear life, but several Stormwind guards are knocked off and sent into the flames...from which emerges a massive fel reaver, which grasps the deck of the ship. Greymane shifts back into his human form and holds out his hand.
- Genn Greymane: Varian! Take my hand!
- Stormwind Guard: We can't break free!
- The ship tilts almost 90 degrees as the fel reaver drags it towards the ground. Mekkatorque grabs the opposite railing and saves one man by the cape, but many other Stormwind soldiers are seen falling off the ship. Closing his eyes for a moment, Varian makes a decision...
- Genn Greymane: Varian! VARIAN!
- Varian reaches up... and hands Greymane a letter to Anduin, the one he narrated during the Legion introduction.
- Varian Wrynn: Take this... to my son.
- Greymane nods... as Varian leaps from the ladder, sword in hand, and impales the fel reaver through its armored head, breaking its grip on the Skyfire.
- Genn Greymane: Go go go!
- The Skyfire goes to full speed as Varian thrusts the sword completely through the machine's armored head, bringing it crashing and exploding down to the ground. As he regains his bearings, Varian sees Gul'dan, with another rank of felguards approaching. Splitting his blade into Shalla'tor and Ellemayne, Varian begins cutting through the demons, but he is overwhelmed as a felguard slashes him across his back, losing one of the blades...and then he is impaled from behind by two felguards' spears, dropping his other sword, and brought to his knees before Gul'dan.
- Gul'dan: You will be remembered as the king who sacrificed his life... for NOTHING.
- Breathing heavily, Varian raises his head and glares defiantly at Gul'dan.
- Varian Wrynn: For the Alliance.
- Laughing, Gul'dan begins overloading Varian's body with fel energy. Varian screams as the power overwhelms him, and finally explodes. From the deck of the Skyfire, Greymane - clutching the letter to Anduin - screams in rage as the ship retreats back to Stormwind. Discarded on the shoreline, the glow in the hilts of Varian's fallen blades fades and disappears.
On the other side of the scenario, the player is back on the deck of the Skyfire in Stormwind Harbor, having recovered from the battle and gotten up from the cot they were laying on. This isn't the case for all the NPCs, as many of the unnamed soldiers that followed the heroes to battle are still laying injured on deck. Something has visibly changed, though: many Gilnean soldiers are now on board. Gilnean Druids are taking care of the wounded, Gilnean Footmen are standing ready for battle behind Darius Crowley, and Genn is surrounded by two Gilnean Royal Guards. Gilnean Gryphons stand ready to transport adventurers.
- Genn Greymane says: Good to see you up, <name>. I would ask a favor before my army leaves for war.
Speak with Genn to continue.
Ah, <name>, you're up! I'm relieved you made it out of that bloodbath alive. We lost so many good women and men down there...
<Genn Greymane clenches his teeth.>
Damn the Horde for serving us up to the Legion!
- +250 reputation with Stormwind
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.