- For the pet, see The Countess (pet).
|Title||<Harvester of Desire>|
|Affiliation(s)||Court of Harvesters|
|Location||Redelav Tower, Revendreth|
- “My parties serve a greater purpose. Keeping the influential and elite entertained helps quell uprisings. If their minds are consumed by trivial things, they don't have time to plot or plan. Sometimes, battles are best fought before they begin.”
- — The Countess
The Countess, also referred to as the Mistress of the court, is a venthyr who is the Harvester of Desire, bearer of the , and thus has authority over the Castle Ward and is in charge of the court, composed of all the noble houses of the venthyr. She resides in Redelav Tower, which can only be accessed by the adventurer through a mirror from Thornhill Manor, which is Theotar's former residence due to his being her "paramour". The only named venthyr nobles other than Duke Theotar and Madame Iza friendly to the adventurer are those found within Redelav Tower. According to her butler Alfryd, the penance of those that Desired in life is to serve the nobles of the court.
The Countess is a charismatic and cunning venthyr, capable of both brutal betrayal and fair diplomacy. It is also implied that she gets bored easily and likes playing games. She makes wagers with the other nobles to see how long it would take the Maw Walker to die, claiming it was the most exciting thing to happen since Renathal's rebellion, as well as allying with the Venthyr Covenant against Denathrius simply because she was excited to see what would happen.
She likes others to believe that she is an original venthyr, born from Sire Denathrius' will, like Prince Renathal, The Curator, and The Stonewright are, but she was, in fact, mortal. She entrusted the mirror shards of her sinstone to House Primrose, House Darkvein, and House Sinfang; in particular Duchess Minodora of Primrose and Lord Aurel of Darkvein, while the mirror frame for the shards was entrusted to House Redelav. Through the Curator helped the Kyrian Covenant find the Countess' sinstone to convince her to give them the details involving the Seal of Contrition, the sinstone was actually in the Curator's Crypt.
The only time the Countess is seen during the Revendreth storyline is during , when she describes her duties. She also invites the Maw Walker to one of her parties (though they do not end up attending) and wishes that they do not die too fast, as she is desperate for entertainment.
The Venthyr Campaign
As Prince Renathal continued his rebellion, he gathered the other bearers of the seven medallions of Revendreth, hoping to unite them against Denathrius. While she joined the Tithelord and Stonewright in refusing his offer, she subtly implied that Renathal simply required "leverage."
Unperturbed, Renathal sent the Maw Walker to sneak into the Countess' estate, Redelav Tower, to steal the medallion away from her with Duke Theotar's help, as he used to be very familiar with her prior to his exile to the Ember Ward. Despite their efforts, the Countess caught the adventurer red-handed, claiming she knows everything that goes in her district. However, she is amused by the attempt and forcefully "offers" the adventurer to dine with her. The Countess shares that she is perfectly willing to part with the , but only if they perform some favors for her, and the adventurer agrees. After several errands and a few assassinations of traitorous nobles, the Countess allows the adventurer to take her medallion to Prince Renathal.
Once a Venthyr player has raised their Ember Court to Level 4, they can begin inviting the Countess as a guest to their parties. After obtaining Best Friend status with the Countess, she gifts them the .
- You have my ear.
- Your attire is... quaint.
- Let us chat.
- What secrets have you to spill?
- Until we meet again.
- Be well.
- Do come again.
- That will be all.
- Where are your manners?
- You should be ashamed of yourself.
- Your behavior is appalling.
- Must you carry on in such a way?!
- You're only reinforcing everything I have ever thought about mortals!
- Fascinating. I must have you to one of my parties so you may share your stories of that place. You may have encountered some of my former acquaintances there.
- Oh I am the Countess, Harvester of Desire. I command the Castle Ward and her many districts. I spare Sire Denathrius of the burden of having to deal with the nobles.
- Good luck with the Master's tasks. I am hosting a number of wagers amongst the nobles for how long you might last. Try not to die to[sic] soon. Your arrival is the most interesting to happen since Prince Renathal rebelled.
- After the events of Venthyr Campaign#Desire
- Pray tell, what brings the might Maw Walker to my tower today
- Another favor, perhaps?
- <The Countess smiles.>
- Take care who you request favors from.
- Many a poor soul, blinded by desire, has found themselves in debt to the most unsavory of masters.
- If part of the Venthyr Covenant and are a Buddy or higher
- I have been thinking on you, my dear.
- Tell me. What do you desire most, right now?
- Not your life's goals or childhood dreams. Dreams fade, goals shift.
- But there's always instinct, lying in wait just beneath the surface. It will pull you away if you ever let down your guard.
- <The Countess smiles.>
- Good. Do not tell me. Keep it to yourself. It is the only way to be safe.
- On approach if part of the Venthyr Covenant if not a Buddy or higher
- Oh, Alfryd dear, could you bring me a new--
- Ah, Maw Walker. To what do I owe the pleasure?
- On approach if part of the Venthyr Covenant if a Buddy or higher
- See, Alfryd? I told you it would be a good day. <Name> is here.
- If the player uses the , she responds with a Letter
- Main article: Quill of Correspondence
Notes and trivia
- The fact she is the Countess (which in real life is traditionally below many of the titles the other venthyr have) and her primary dwelling is a private tower may be references to Elizabeth Báthory, who according to mythologized legends was a vampire and often referred to as "The Countess" or "The Blood Countess" in retellings.
- Given that she claims she was born of the Shadowlands, thus one of the original seven venthyr of the Court of Harvesters, and nobody is aware of the fact she was once mortal except the remaining members of the seven (Prince Renathal, The Curator, and The Stonewright), it is possible she is only the second Harvester of Desire.
- As her tower is "Redelav Tower", and she trusted the mirror frame to her sinstone to House Redelav, and the area below the Eternal Terrace where the named noble houses are is called "Redelav District", it could be The Countess belongs to House Redelav.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.