The Cult of the Damned (WC3 Human)
- This article is about the mission in Warcraft III. For the organization, see Cult of the Damned.
|The Cult of the Damned|
|Previous||Ravages of the Plague|
|Next||March of the Scourge|
Cult of the Damned is Chapter Four of the Scourge of Lordaeron campaign.
It begins with Arthas and Jaina watching a group of acolytes build a gold mine. Arthas and Jaina killed some of the acolytes, but the rest escaped. They build their base and begin attacking an undead base. They reached Andorhal, only to find that Kel'Thuzad has already infected the granary with the Plague, and sent out the grain shipments. Kel'Thuzad leaves, but not before mocking Arthas and Jaina, and commanding his undead minions to kill them, but Arthas and Jaina managed to destroy the granary anyway. Arthas and Jaina pursued Kel'Thuzad, killed his undead guards, and then slew Kel'Thuzad himself. Before dying he told them that Mal'Ganis is in Stratholme, and he will spread the plague of undeath there.
The next day, on the outskirts of Andorhal...
- 2 Murloc Huntsmen
- 3 Murloc Nightcrawler
- 4 Forest Trolls
- 2 Forest Troll Berserkers
- 3 Gnoll Poachers
- 1 Gnoll Assassin
- 2 Rock Golems
- 2 Mud Golems
- 3 Enforcers
- 1 villager unnamed female
- Explore Andorhal
The plagued crates of grain seem to have originated from Andorhal, the distribution center of Lordaeron's agricultural products. Investigate Andorhal and ascertain whether there is any link between the mysterious cultists and the dread plague.
- Find Kel'Thuzad
The evil Necromancer, Kel'Thuzad, is apparently responsible for spreading the mysterious plague. Hunt the renegade wizard down and bring him to justice!
- Arthas and Jaina's forces arrive to a clearing just as a group of Acolytes begin taking control of a gold mine.
- Jaina Proudmoore: Look! It's those cultists who were with the necromancer! What are they doing to that mine?
- Arthas: Let's not wait to find out! Attack!
- The Acolytes flee. One is a bit too slow and gets killed by Arthas.
- Acolyte: Damn these intruders! They must not interfere with the master's plan!
- Arthas: Let's build a base camp here. With those cultists creeping around, I'd rather not head in there without backup.
- Jaina Proudmoore: I couldn't agree more.
- Peasants begin constructing a base around the mine.
During the mission
- Arthas and Jaina confront Kel'Thuzad in the center of Andorhal.
- Kel'Thuzad: Hello again, children. I am Kel'Thuzad, and I've come to deliver a warning. Leave well enough alone. Your curiosity will be the death of you.
- Arthas: Are you responsible for this plague, necromancer? Is this cult your doing?
- Kel'Thuzad: Yes, I ordered the Cult of the Damned to distribute the plagued grain. But the sole credit is not mine.
- Jaina Proudmoore: What do you mean?
- Kel'Thuzad: I serve the dreadlord Mal'Ganis. He commands the Scourge that will cleanse this land and establish a paradise of eternal darkness!
- Arthas: And what exactly is this Scourge meant to cleanse?
- Kel'Thuzad: Why, the living, of course. His plan is already in motion. Seek him out at Stratholme if you need further proof.
- The necromancer shuffles away.
- granaries are empty! The shipments have already been sent out. We're too late! Arthas: All the
- Kel'Thuzad: Naive fool. My death will make little difference in the long run. For, now, the scourging of this land... begins.
- Kel'Thuzad dies.
- Arthas: No... Jaina!
- Arthas: Jaina... I swear by the Light. You shall be avenged.
- Arthas: What the hell are you saying? Who are you anyway?
- Arthas: Jaina, you're alive!
- Arthas: I'll tell you all about it later.
- Arthas: This looks like some kind of gateway... I'll bet Jaina would know how to activate it.
- Arthas: No simple cult could have built this.
- Kel'Thuzad: Ah... isn't this ironic?
This mission does not require either constructing a base or making soldiers. The best way to complete this mission is to cast Divine Shield on Arthas as you enter the Undead camp. Keep moving until you reach Andorhal. Then, the cutscene will occur. Destroy the granaries and the ghouls Kel'Thuzad had,then (optional) free Timmy and get your reward. Continue to advance, and you should come across two ghouls. Cast Holy Light on one,and then kill him, then do the same with the other one. As you enter Kel'Thuzad's throne, guarded by abominations, once again cast Divine Shield, move forward to Kel'Thuzad and kill him. The process should take about 10 minutes.
- Jaina was planned to die in this mission as part of a main story element in an early draft for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, but that idea was scrapped as Arthas didn't need any more motivation to chase after Mal'Ganis than he already had. She had been planned to become a banshee, but it was scrapped as it was too similar to the story of Jim Raynor and Sarah Kerrigan from StarCraft. The banshee plot point was instead moved to Sylvanas Windrunner.
- The official strategy guide was never changed to reflect this, stating: "The next day, Jaina and Arthas see acolytes starting to haunt a gold mine on the outskirts of Andorhal. As a camp is being set up nearby, Kel'Thuzad shows up with a group of ghouls and attacks Jaina. Arthas tries to rescue her, but it's too late, Jaina's dead."
- Unused dialogue suggests Jaina would've survived or come back to life.
- Further unused of Arthas mentions a gateway that doesn't appear in the final game.
- Kel'Thuzad has unused dialogue for his death which he calls ironic.
- The mortar team the player starts with may have been Dargal and his dwarves.
- ^ Pretzel Lectern: Behind WarCraft III: An Interview with Campaign Designer David Fried (2016-05-25). Retrieved on 2016-06-24.