- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Progress
- 5 Completion
- 6 Notes
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
- Defeat the Dark Riders
- Apocalypse claimed
The catacombs? I've never heard of such a place. Unless, he means...
There's a sewer grate along the edge of the river leading to a catacombs underneath Karazhan. I've never paid it much attention, but it could lead to the catacombs that the spirit spoke of.
To think, the Dark Riders may have been under our noses this entire time! Come, let us see where this leads.
- 15,050 XP
Didyou[sic] find what you seek, death knight?
Today was a great blow against the Dark Riders, and a victory for the people of Duskwood.
They are in your debt, as am I.
On accept, Revil starts running towards the entrance of the catacombs.
- Revil Kost says: The sewer entrance is this way. Follow me!
Upon entering the catacombs, you are placed in a single-player scenario.
Stage 1: The Downward Spiral
- Make your way into the Dark Riders' catacombs beneath Karazhan.
- Karazhan Catacombs infiltrated
- Revil Kost says: Take care! There is a dark energy emanating from the spirits of this place. We had best not get too close.
The skeletal Cursed Guardians will awaken from their resting places along the walls as you descend and attack you. About halfway down, Revil will say:
- Revil Kost says: How far down is this place? These stairs seem to go forever.
Once you reach the bottom of the stairs, two Dark Riders are guarding the entrance to the tunnel. Upon proceeding further inward, it becomes apparent that the way has been blocked by a field of "Grasping Spirits" summoned by Ariden, who is sitting on his steed on the other side.
Stage 2: Grasp of the Damned
- Find a way to cross Ariden's spirit barrier.
- Spirit Barrier crossed
- Revil Kost says: The way is blocked!
- Ariden yells: Intruders! You will go no further!
- Revil Kost says: Hold, death knight! Those spirits he's controlling look like they'll rip us apart!
- Revil Kost says: We have to figure out a way to get past without being torn asunder.
- Revil Kost says: This magic is too strong for me to resist, but you may be able to cross it with your abilities, death knight.
- Ariden yells: Do not think you have won! Conservator, do your duty!
Stage 3: Removal Protocols
- Defeat the guardian of the Dark Riders' vault.
- Conservator Defeated
- The Conservator yells: Your presence is unauthorized. Removal protocols engaged.
Stage 4: The World-Ender
- Find Apocalypse among the Dark Riders' artifacts.
- Apocalypse found
- Revil Kost says: Keep your guard up! I fear Ariden is not done with us yet.
- Revil Kost says: The artifact chambers look to be just ahead. Let us proceed.
- Revil Kost says: Over here! Is this the relic you seek?
Apocalypse is resting, seemingly unguarded, in a room in the westernmost part of the catacombs. Upon attempting to loot it, Ariden appears and knocks the player back.
- Ariden yells: So this is what you're after? The artifacts of Karazhan belong here, and I will not allow them to be taken away!
- Revil Kost says: You have no right to these artifacts, fiend! They must be reclaimed in the name of the Light!
- Ariden uses his magic to lift Revil off the ground and choke him.
- Ariden yells: Your Light does not reach here, priest!
- Ariden equips Apocalypse.
- Ariden yells: If you want the blade, death knight, come and claim it!
- Ariden rides past the player deeper into the northern part of the catacombs.
- Revil Kost says: Quickly, after him! I will only slow you down...
Stage 5: The Rider's Prize
- Follow Ariden into the depths of the Karazhan catacombs.
- Ariden followed
Head to the northernmost part of the catacombs and defeat any Dark Riders and Cursed Guardians you encounter along the way.
Stage 6: The Fate of the Son
- Follow and defeat Ariden.
- Ariden defeated
Upon approaching Ariden in the final chamber:
- Ariden says: You are a persistent one.
- Ariden says: Very well! If you so thirst for the power of Apocalypse, then I will show it to you myself!
- Ariden yells: Feel the wrath of the world-ender!
During the fight, Ariden uses Apocalypse to summon ghouls from the ground, but as the fight progresses his voice grows increasingly desperate.
- Ariden yells: It calls to souls long dead... RISE!
- Ariden yells: You are not the only one who can control the undead, death knight!
- Ariden yells: Sss... souls of the dead! Aid your master!
Upon bringing Ariden to 1% health, Apocalypse slips from his grasp and lands in the middle of the chamber, with Ariden kneeling in defeat.
- Ariden yells: No! The power... is mine!
- The spirit of Laith Sha'ol appears, hovering above Apocalypse.
- Laith Sha'ol says: The power was not yours, Ariden. You did not wield Apocalypse. Its dark energies wielded you as its weapon.
- Ariden says: That voice... father?!
- Laith Sha'ol says: Rest now, my son. The curse is lifted.
- Ariden dies.
- Laith Sha'ol says: You are free.
- Laith's spirit fades away.
Final Stage: Apocalypse
- Claim Apocalypse.
Upon looting Apocalypse, Revil, who was waiting at the entrance, runs into the chamber.
- Revil Kost says: It is done. The Dark Riders are defeated.
- Revil Kost says: Now I can reclaim these stolen artifacts and return them to their rightful owners.
- Revil Kost says: You have proven an unexpected ally, death knight. The weapon is yours. Let us hope it can turn the tide in this war.
- Revil Kost says: The Dark Riders lost this battle, but I fear they will soon regroup. We had best be gone before they do.
- Acquire the chosen artifact:
- Blood ()
- Frost (Blades of the Fallen Prince: and )
- Unholy ()
- Complete both:
- Complete both:
- Complete all of:
- Level 45
- Patch 7.1.5 campaign
- Patch 7.2 campaign
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.