- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Completion
- 5 Gains
- 6 Notes
- 7 Progression
- 8 Patch changes
- 9 External links
- Defeat the Dark Riders
- The Scythe of Elune claimed
This sewer grate leads to the catacombs underneath Karazhan. I've never paid it much attention, but it seems to be where the Nightbane are being drawn to. To think, the Dark Riders may have been under our noses this entire time! Come, let us see where this leads.
Today was a great blow against the Dark Riders, and a victory for the people of Duskwood.
They are in your debt, as am I.
- 14,800 XP
- Revil Kost says: Go in ahead, druid. I will join you inside.
Upon entering the catacombs, you are placed in a single-player scenario.
Stage 1: The Downward Spiral
- Karazhan Catacombs infiltrated
- Revil Kost says: Take care! There is a dark energy emanating from the spirits of this place. We had best not get too close.
The skeletal Cursed Guardians will awaken from their resting places along the walls as you descend and attack you. About halfway down, Revil will say:
- Revil Kost says: How far down is this place? These stairs seem to go forever.
Once you reach the bottom of the stairs, two Dark Riders are guarding the entrance to the tunnel. Upon proceeding further inward, it becomes apparent that the way has been blocked by a field of "Grasping Spirits" summoned by Ariden, who is sitting on his steed on the other side.
Stage 2: Grasp of the Damned
- Spirit Barrier crossed
- Revil Kost says: The way is blocked!
- Ariden yells: Intruders! You will go no further!
- Revil Kost says: Hold, druid! Those spirits he's controlling look like they'll rip us apart!
- Revil Kost says: We have to figure out a way to get past without being torn asunder.
- Ariden yells: Do not think you have won! Conservator, do your duty!
Stage 3: Removal Protocols
- Conservator Defeated
- The Conservator yells: Your presence is unauthorized. Removal protocols engaged.
Stage 4: Elune's Prize
- Scythe of Elune found
- Revil Kost says: Keep your guard up! I fear Ariden is not done with us yet.
- Revil Kost says: The artifact chambers look to be just ahead. Let us proceed.
- Revil Kost says: Over here! Is this the relic you seek?
The Scythe is resting, seemingly unguarded, in the room just ahead. Upon attempting to loot it, Ariden appears and knocks the player back.
- Ariden yells: So this is what you're after? The artifacts of Karazhan belong here, and I will not allow them to be taken away!
- Revil Kost says: You have no right to these artifacts, fiend! They must be reclaimed in the name of the Light!
- Ariden uses his magic to lift Revil off the ground and choke him.
- Ariden yells: Your Light does not reach here, priest!
- Ariden equips the Scythe of Elune.
- Ariden yells: If you want the Scythe, druid, come and claim it!
- Ariden rides past the player deeper into the northern part of the catacombs.
- Revil Kost says: Quickly, after him! I will only slow you down...
Stage 5: The Rider's Prize
- Ariden followed
Head to the northernmost part of the catacombs and defeat any Dark Riders and Cursed Guardians you encounter along the way.
Stage 6: Reaping the Riders
- Ariden defeated
Upon approaching Ariden in the final chamber:
- Ariden says: You are a persistent one.
- Ariden yells: Very well! If you so thirst for the power of the Scythe, then I will show it to you myself!
During the fight, Ariden occasionally transforms into a worgen.
- The Scythe has overpowered Ariden! Keep him away from you to avoid !
Upon killing Ariden:
- Ariden yells: I will ride... again...
Final Stage: The Scythe Reclaimed
The Scythe is stuck in the floor next to Ariden's corpse. Upon looting it, Revil runs into the chamber.
- Revil Kost says: It is done. The Dark Riders are defeated.
- Revil Kost says: Now I can reclaim these stolen artifacts and return them to their rightful owners.
- Revil Kost says: You have proven an unexpected ally, druid. The weapon is yours. Let us hope it can turn the tide in this war.
- Revil Kost says: The Dark Riders lost this battle, but I fear they will soon regroup. We had best be gone before they do.
- Acquire the chosen artifact:
- Complete all of:
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.