The Eye of the Jailer
- The Eye of the Jailer
- Completing quests, opening treasures, and defeating rare enemies in the Maw will now incur the Eye of the Jailer, who will torment you with punishments of increasing deadliness.
The Eye of the Jailer is one of the core mechanics of the Maw at max level. Players are not intended to stay in the zone all day - and the Eye of the Jailer will encourage players to leave once the difficulty ramps up. It resets daily.
The Eye of the Jailer threat level is raised by killing enemies and completing tasks in the Maw:
|Source||Reputation||Stygia||Threat||Threat per rep||Threat per Stygia|
|Rare elite mob||100||≈75||500||5.00||6.67|
|Wrath of the Jailer (weekly)||250||100||500||2.00||5.00|
|Perdition Hold weekly||1100||700||1200||1.09||1.71|
|Maw Lore (one-time)||100-150||0||0||0||0|
Landing the last hit on a normal mob is worth 6 points. The last hit on an elite is worth 12 points. Merely being on the threat table (and thus eligible for loot), but not landing the last hit is worth 0 points.
The act of completing the objective of a daily/weekly/etc quest will raise the threat level, not turning it in. For instance, should players be tasked with gathering eight chains, the moment they loot the eighth chain they will gain 50% of a threat level. Ve'nari will grant her Stygia/reputation award on turn-in.
Players' first objective is to max out Ve'nari reputation. The objective here is to "waste" quest threat since players should have already hit max threat before completing objectives. To gain reputation as effectively as possible, first start by nearly completing quest objectives. For instance, if the quest asks to gather eight chains, collect seven of them, then leave the area. Once that is done, kill as many rares and rare-elites as possible, but avoid killing the event mobs, as the 40 reputation per 300 threat is the least efficient source of reputation in the zone.
At threat tier four, work on other objectives like Wrath of the Jailer events or a Beastwarrens hunt. That should push the threat level to tier five. Then, quickly complete quest objectives and turn them in. Ve'nari will still grant her reputation/Stygia at max threat. Exit the Maw to regain health, then return for another quick hit-and-run to a different quest objective area.
The Eye of the Jailer has six stages, each with increasing threats:
- Soulseekers attack you on sight
- Towers bombard your location, dealing damage and slowing you
- Assassins are sent to kill you
- Winged Abductors hunt you from above
- The jailer rapidly erodes your life force (and Stygia and Ve'nari reputation gains are reduced by 100%)
Mawsworn Soulseekers are normally neutral mobs in a few quest areas. At level one, they turn hostile.
- Decaying Blast 30 yd range — Fires a blast of stygian energy at a target, inflicting Shadow damage instantly as well as every 5 sec for 6 sec. 2.5 sec cast
- Detect Anima 20 yd range — Examines a player, seeking out their anima. When this spell finishes casting, enemies within 30 yards are called to attack the targeted player. 3 sec cast
- Focused Annihilation 30 yd range — Focuses a ray of stygian energy at the target, inflicting Shadow damage every 1 sec for 6 sec. This damage increases every 1 sec while the beam is focused on the target. 2 sec cast (12 sec cooldown)
Towers will spawn a ~10-yard radius white swirly underneath the player. Get well clear of it or Soul Surge will hit for 50% of max health and spawn five Shackles to snare the player:
- Soul Surge 7 yd range Instant. Deals 50% of max health and spawns five Shackle Spikes within 7 yards of the player.
- Shackles — Remove the shackle spike, or move at least 20 yards away from the Shackle Spike to break the shackles. 60 sec debuff. 50% run speed debuff. Click on the Shack Spike NPCs or run away.
Assassins (appearing in-game as "<Name>'s Assassin") are level 61 mawsworn humanoids with a handful of variants that will spawn following some telegraphs:
- You are being hunted.
- Hunted — You are being hunted. An assassin will strike when you next enter combat. Undispellable debuff
The next time the player enters combat, an Assassin will spawn and aggro on the player:
- The Jailer says: The end is upon you.
Assassins have various abilities, but always lead off with a charge of The Jailer's Mark, unless protected by the from Ve'nari:
- The Jailer's Mark — The Jailer's assassins mark your soul, inflicting Shadow damage every 2 sec for 10 sec. The mark also draws the Jailer's attention, increasing your Eye of the Jailer. Instant. 10 sec duration
- Fanatical Barrier — Absorbs X incoming damage from all sources and increases haste by 20% for 20 sec. 3 sec cast (12 sec cooldown)
- Harrow Melee range — Inflicts Physical damage to an enemy. 2 sec cast
- Pain Spike 30 yd range — Inflicts <125% of weapon damage> Shadow damage to an enemy. 2 sec cast
- Stygian Annihilation 30 yd range — Inflicts <350% of weapon damage> Shadow damage to an enemy. 5 sec cast
Stygian Abductors occasionally attack without warning. They will swoop out of the sky and pull the player ~50 yards into the air, immediately applying Soul Brand (unless protected with the from Ve'nari), and will wind up a 10-second cast of Quietus Strike that will launch the player from the Maw. Quickly finish it off before the cast finishes!
- Soul Brand — The Jailer's abductors brand your soul, inflicting Shadow damage every 2 sec for 20 sec. The brand also draws the Jailer's attention, increasing your Eye of the Jailer. Instant. 20 sec debuff
- Quietus Strike — Maims a player for heavy Physical damage before hurling them to their doom. 10 sec cast
In this final stage, players lose incoming healing by 10% every twenty seconds, stacking to -100%. At that point, players start taking 3% of their maximum health as damage every tick. Players thus have 200 seconds (3 minutes 20 seconds) to exit the Maw or make it to Ve'nari's Refuge.
Additionally, all and Ve'nari reputation gain from drops/kills is nullified while in this stage. Players can still turn in their quests and will get their expected reputation and Stygia.
- Immediate Extermination — Your healing taken is increasingly reduced. When your healing taken reaches -100%, you suffer Shadow damage until you die. Instant. Stacks 10% every second. At -100%, starts triggering...
- Immediate Extermination — Your healing taken is increasingly reduced. When your healing taken reaches -100%, you suffer Shadow damage until you die. Instant. 3% of max health as damage every tick.
- Eye of the Jailer — Stygia and Ve'nari Reputation gains reduced by 100%.
In-game, the Jailer threat value is a number from 0 to 5000, with each tier breakpoint at a multiple of 1000. While in the Maw, players can run this macro to see their raw threat value:
To compare with the table at the top of this article: a regular (non-Perdition Hold) weekly quest adds 1000 points (100% of a threat level), normal rare enemies will raise the threat by 300 points (or 30% of a level), while rare-elites add 500 points to the total.
- Patch 9.0.2 (2020-11-17): Added.